GA-EP45-UD3R Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R Issues

I cannot decide on weather to buy another PSU or RMA the board and I am getting no answer from searching in here or google or trying to contact support.
    I have a 2x2 pin connector (converter does not work) on my 575 watt PSU which exceeds the reccomended minimum to operate it, The board is connected to 4gb 2x gskill ram and a 275 GTX OC card from gigabyte. The PSU supports SLI so PCI power is not an issue. The PSU is fully operational from my last build.
    I have disconnected everything from the Hard disks to the cd drives from both the motherboard and PSU leaving the graphics card and the mobo.
    It will not turn on when i press the button, i trip checked the powerbutton pins as everything was correct.
    The only response from the board was a single small flash of green light above the ram. When i pressed it the first time, and afterwords nothing. I smelled nothing burning or anything. I did not see a visible defect on the board before i installed it.
    The board has a 4x4 pin connection, i am aware of that. But the 2x2 > 4x4 converter doesn't even work.
    I cannot go over-budget than I intend to. My previous board died and is currently discontinued after long use.
    CPU: E3600 Wolfdale 45nm processor.

I am thinking i have to RMA but i need a second opinion.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Issues

I do not advise you even try using converters, maybe for a short test or something, but not for long term use. So I am glad that is not working really.

Have you checked for bent CPU socket pins? Do you have a case speaker connected? Sorry, have to ask, 24 pin is connected right?

Have you tried the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray with only one stick of ram, your CPU and fan/heatsink, and your GFX Card ONLY? This will rule out shorts, and other hardware causing it to not function.

Do you have another brand of memory or a old DDR2 stick you could test with?

You do mean you have a E6300 CPU right? Just checking. If you did mean E6300, that is a 65nm CPU. If you are unsure, please check with CPU-z, because if you have a Pentium dual core (Not Core 2 Duo) then you may need a older CPU so you can update the BIOS to F8 because that CPU (Pentium Dual Core 2.8Ghz) is not supported until BIOS F8

If you end up not getting things going, I would get a new EPS PSU before I RMA the board for sure because the PSU you have really is not the type you should use with this board. It could work but would not be best. While I am thinking about that, do you have a older/smaller PCIE card you could try with as well? How bout PCI card?

Comment

Have you checked for bent CPU socket pins? Do you have a case speaker connected? Sorry, have to ask, 24 pin is connected right?

No pins are bent and case speaker is connected, and yes the 24 pin "Is" connected.

Have you tried the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray with only one stick of ram, your CPU and fan/heatsink, and your GFX Card ONLY? This will rule out shorts, and other hardware causing it to not function.

Yes for that 1 stick of ram,gfx,heatsink, and Cpu I get no response, it will not even start up the fans or rotate them at all.

Do you have another brand of memory or a old DDR2 stick you could test with?

I have a DDR2 800 1gbx2, but the mobo does not support it from what i have read.

You do mean you have a E6300 CPU right? Just checking. If you did mean E6300, that is a 65nm CPU. If you are unsure, please check with CPU-z, because if you have a Pentium dual core (Not Core 2 Duo) then you may need a older CPU so you can update the BIOS to F8 because that CPU (Pentium Dual Core 2.8Ghz) is not supported until BIOS F8
      If you end up not getting things going, I would get a new EPS PSU before I RMA the board for sure because the PSU you have really is not the type you should use with this board. It could work but would not be best. While I am thinking about that, do you have a older/smaller PCIE card you could try with as well? How bout PCI card?

what do you mean by that?

oh and please note that this is the only PC I have. I do not have any Intel based PC to fall back on, exept this Intel Atom Netbook.

Comment

So, no noise at all from the case speaker? Did you try plugging it in the other way to be sure?

Yes that board will support 1GB 800Mhz sticks, try them out one at a time

Ya, they also have 2 E6300 65nm CPU's as well. So since you do have the 2.8Ghz, this is likely the issue. You need a older CPU so you can flash the BIOS. I doubt it has F8 already in it. Can you borrow a older 775 CPU? This is where I would start for sure

I mentioned PSU Before RMA because that was your initial question, so I was saying your PSU now is not designed for your 8 Pin EPS board.

I really think your CPU/BIOS is the issue, especially if you are not getting error beeps from the case speaker. You are going to need to bug a friend to let your borrow a old 775 to update your BIOS with

Comment

absolutely no noise from the speaker. no response from any other components such as Led's, fans, gfx card or the PSU itself, dead silent the whole time. the screen has no response.

ill test with the DDR2 800's to check as well.

I am really starting to think it is a PSU or a doa issue.

and i do not have anybody who has a spare LGA775 cpu to confirm this. most of them have the i7's now and sold off the 775's on ebay.

Comment

Yeap, that is what you get sometimes with a dead or unsupported CPU, not always but for sure sometimes.

I would not think anything is dead or DOA until you can get a old CPU. Boards are just not shipped out with new BIOSes like you need.

Buy a cheap celeron 420 or 440, I have one I bought on ebay to keep for just this purpose. Cost $15-20 for a 440 $10-15 for a 420

I am 99.999999% sure this is the problem

Comment

Its fixed. The motherboard is a powerhungry monster that took a big bite from my wallet

i replaced the 575 watt with a 750 watt powerwupply from thermaltake.

Comment

So, it was the PSU only and not the CPU? If so, very surprised and glad you found the issue and did not have to RMA.

I thought it was the PSU at first, until we started looking at your CPU though. Anyway, glad you found a fix!

Be sure to update to the latest BIOS now before you get going

Comment

Yea i got it to update my bios. I had to RMA my Ram. 2x2gbs were faulty and failed all my memtests. I figured something was wrong with the RAM, because Windows 7 wouldnt install because of BSOD's. I updated bio's via qflash which was really easy.

Now im Currently Ocing the 6300 to 3.0Ghz Stable, but going a bit father on watercooling.

prolly to 4.0-5.0 stable i hope.

Comment

So your new ram is fine then? Just wondered because your other ram may not have been faulty, and only errored on you like that due to incorrect default settings set by Auto. This happens often and people RMA without knowing.

If you need help with 4Ghz let us know, good luck until we hear back from you

Comment

The new Ram i have is what i believe to be faulty. Its an Gskill DDR2 1033 Ram.

The stable one is my old ram stick. a 1GB x 2 DDR2 800

I now have trouble getting past 3.15GHz
                      @ 315 x 10.0 @ 1.28 Vcore. Hmm...

And im a bit skeptical of the Vcore adjustment. Does setting it to .5 add on to the current vcore? or sets it as the actual vcore.

My Previous Mobo added on voltages. so im very cautious.

Comment

1033? You mean 1066 right :)

Vcore .5? Not sure what you are asking there, you should be able to adjust your Vcore to any amount selectable by you

Comment

1066 yea, ive alreadly RMA'ed it at no charge since the newegg warehouse is nearby

What i mean in Bios is that

Load Line calibration [Auto]
                          Vcore [1.28] (+) [0.5] = 1.78vcore?
                          or is it
                          Vcore [1.28] >> [1.29] = 1.29?

Comment

There will be increments for Vcore, like 1.28, 1.2875, 1.29, 1.2925, ect. There will not be any +0.5 like in older boards, is that what you are asking?

Ohh, and yes, if you mean is setting more the actual amount then yes. Setting 1.2 is 1.20, and 1.25 is 1.25, ect.

Comment

Working...
                            X