GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit
    4 Seagate SATA drives (No RAID)

i7 920
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
    Radeon 4870
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Within ten seconds, the power went out at the house twice, for a couple seconds each time.
    Now the computer will not boot.
    Boot gets as far as Verifying DMI Pool, then asks,
    "Boot from CD/DVD:
    Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"
    I insert the Vista Ultimate 64 disk and it gives me the options to load Safe, Last Good Configuration, etc.
    None of the options really work.
    Last Good Config will get me the blue-green sea colored screen and over-sized cursor. After a few minutes, the screen prompts me to start reinstalling Vista (yikes!).
    Safe Mode gets me a black screen with Safe Mode written at all four corners. Eventually, it too, prompts to reinstall.
    I go to Boot menu (F12).
    Hard Disk is the only item in the list that has a plus sign next to it. I highlight it, > Enter and it says,
    "Select a Boot First device" and below that is
    "Bootable Add-in Cards", which is highlighted blue (I'm an intermediate, never heard of that one before).
    That's all that's listed on that particular screen, no other kinds of drives.
    I go to Bios (Del).
    In CMOS Settings, all IDE Channels (0-5, Master and Slave) have [None] next to them except for Channel 2, which displays name of my CD/DVD writer.
    Going into each of the channels shows all zeros for Capacity, Cylinder etc. Shouldn't I see some details here that reflect my drives, how big they are, etc? Feels like a ghost town.
    Next, Advanced Bios Features.
    Top of the list is "Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]" > There's "Bootable Add-in Cards" again (no I don't have any such). It is highlighted in red and its the only thing on the list - I leave it alone and back out.
    Next in list is "First Boot Device [Hard Disk] > Here there is a long list (Floppy, CD Rom, etc) and Hard Drive is the one that is check marked.
    Now I'm stumped. I don't get into Bios very often, but seems that somewhere it should show details of my drives and that would be in Advanced Bios, right?
    I'm very nervous, my video projects are on other drives, but obviously OS, programs and important other stuff is on C, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    phil
    GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
    i7 920
    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
    Radeon 4870
    Vista 64
    etc

Re: GA-EX58-UD5P Won't Boot

power down pc,press clr cmos button on rear,now turn pc off at the wall and disconnect all hard drives wait for 30 seconds and plug hard drives back in and power up pc....next thing if that doesnt work is to put in your vista os disc and press f12 and boot from cdrom,on the vista disc theres a start up recovery program and also a system restore that will let you restore to earlier time
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You need to go into Advanced BIOS settings, then into Hard Disk Boot Priority at the very top of that page and move your disk to the top of the list in that window. Since you say nothing is here, you may need to change/set things properly in the Advanced BIOS page. What disks are you using and how did you install before?

Your disk could have also been fried with the power outages, can you test it in another machine to see if it shows up? DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE USING RAID

The power going out on you likely reset the BIOS to defaults, so you will either need to load a saved profile again or load optimized and start over.

If you had RAID Setup then you may need to reinstall windows since trying to start the machine without RAID enabled again.

Standard CMOS Page in the BIOS does not need looked at, nor should you ever adjust anything there. Integrated Peripherals and Advanced BIOS page is where your disk settings are that you need to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        power down pc,press clr cmos button on rear,now turn pc off at the wall and disconnect all hard drives wait for 30 seconds and plug hard drives back in and power up pc....next thing if that doesnt work is to put in your vista os disc and press f12 and boot from cdrom,on the vista disc theres a start up recovery program and also a system restore that will let you restore to earlier time
        GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
        i7 920
        (TR3X6G1600C8D)
        Radeon 4870
        Vista 64
        etc

Comment

Originally posted by philbu View Post
          Thanks, wazza. I pressed the cmos button on back, unplugged at wall, disconnected all hard drives (power and data), left it that way for half hour, reconnected drives, plugged into wall, same issue.
          Then removed the battery for a few minutes, replaced, no change.

For some reason my arrow and escape keys don't work in the F12 screen, but the normal boot process does get as far as Verifying DMI Pool, then asks,
          "Boot from CD/DVD:
          Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter".
          So I put the Vista CD in and it first goes to a black screen with a Windows Loading progress bar at bottom. When that finishes, there is a blank blue-green splash screen that sits for a couple minutes until it prompts for a language to install Vista. I bail out at that point.

I know there are various options for Safe Mode, Restore from Last Working Configuration etc, but I can’t seem to get to that screen anymore. I did see it a couple times last night and maybe it was via F8? But the screen on which I have to hit F8 wizzes by so fast, it’s nearly impossible to time right.
          yeh sorry i should have explained abit more,its ok when you get to language screen on vista start up select your language and next screen it will ask to install vista or repair computer,click repair and youll be greeted with you os,click it and a list pops up asking to repair start up or do a system restore and theres a cmd option if the other two things above dont work click cmd and type sfc/scannow and it will re-write all the corrupted os files for you.dont worry it wont delete any of your saved files same as system restore,and if that doesnt work leave cmos batery out overnight and try
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

yeh sorry i should have explained abit more,its ok when you get to language screen on vista start up select your language and next screen it will ask to install vista or repair computer,click repair and youll be greeted with you os,click it and a list pops up asking to repair start up or do a system restore and theres a cmd option if the other two things above dont work click cmd and type sfc/scannow and it will re-write all the corrupted os files for you.dont worry it wont delete any of your saved files same as system restore,and if that doesnt work leave cmos batery out overnight and try
            ^^^^^^
            thats just if its an os error but if you say the bios isnt seeing your drives then its bios or hardware trouble,have you tried loading optimized defaults save n exit then try? also have you tried re-flashing bios with q-flash?
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Thnx wazza, will give that a shot. I have a reply for Lsdmeasap, as well, but told my characters need to be below 10,000. My reply is about 600.
              GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
              i7 920
              (TR3X6G1600C8D)
              Radeon 4870
              Vista 64
              etc

Comment

GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
                i7 920
                (TR3X6G1600C8D)
                Radeon 4870
                Vista 64
                etc

Comment

i would try loading optimized defaults first,its one of the f buttons on the main bios page after pressing delete cant remember which one off hand,and i would re-flash bios as it might have corrupted it
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

i would try loading optimized defaults first,its one of the f buttons on the main bios page after pressing delete cant remember which one off hand,and i would re-flash bios as it might have corrupted it
                    I tried both Optimized and Fail Safe Defaults, but no difference.
                    I did venture through the Language screen, there is a choice to "Repair your computer" > new window titled "System Recovery Options" that should show choices, but is empty. The bottom of that window says if you don't see operating system, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks > opens new window that shows folders and files and I wasn't sure what to do from there - don't want to misstep. But I did try to go up a directory from this window to explore and saw all my disks, though in a rudimentary fashion and the assigned letters are changed. One I think said Boot Disk X and its total space was extremely small compared to other 3 (500, 750's).

So, *Vista* still sees my hard disks, I guess. I backed out of the above, wanting to repeat the process so I could describe properly, but this time moving forward, it skipped the last one or two steps and took me to choices including Startup Repair, System Restore, and Command Prompt, as you described.

Choices: If drivers are on the Seagate disks, could try to load them.
                    Or try Startup Repair
                    System Restore
                    sfc/scannow
                    flash BIOS

Not sure which at the moment, but will remove battery and disconnect drives overnight, just for drill and revisit in the AM. Sorry for being verbose, appreciate you guys' help.

phil
                    Last edited by philbu; 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM.
                    GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
                    i7 920
                    (TR3X6G1600C8D)
                    Radeon 4870
                    Vista 64
                    etc

Comment

While trying to figure out how to get Q Flash to recognize a USB stick, I thought of something else.
                      I have a Dell desktop in back room with a C drive that will not boot. It stops at the point of loading mup.sys.
                      I couldn't resist swapping the C drives between it and my hand-built. After putting it in, it still will not fully boot, but wait! Suddenly the BIOS sees all 4 hard drives instead of none. Why would that be?? Maybe the BIOS does not need to be reflashed after all.

Not to complicate matters, but as a warning, the C drive from the Dell and the one originally in the home-built are both Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 that I'd purchased in the last 6 months. I just learned (too late!) that both are subject to possible failure due to a firmware problem. Maybe that's why the Dell's won't completely boot. Maybe that's why the home built one is invisible to the BIOS (but all 4?). And, immediately after the power outage? Who knows.

I'm buying a WD to replace the C in the homebuilt tomorrow, will put Vista on it and see if it all works out.

BTW, my drive #4 is the same model, but fixable if you update the firmware before it goes bad. You can get it at Seagate. And drive #3, not the same model, is going to fail for other reasons, according to SMART, but I already knew that a couple weeks ago.

I guarantee I will never buy Seagate again.

Thanks!!
                      GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
                      i7 920
                      (TR3X6G1600C8D)
                      Radeon 4870
                      Vista 64
                      etc

Comment

you have to format the usb stick to fat32 and put bios onto it then it will work,maybe it will see all the drives with a bios re-flash or update
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Yup, I did format FAT 32 and put the EX58UD5.F6 on it. But Qflash only shows Update BIOS from Floppy choice (don't have a floppy) There are no other choices, such as those in the pic below the Flashing With Qflash heading that shows 2 other drive choices (USB, FAT32), as well. I'm looking at Lsdmeasap's guide, about halfway down, here. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
                          GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
                          i7 920
                          (TR3X6G1600C8D)
                          Radeon 4870
                          Vista 64
                          etc

Comment

You will see one or two floppies possibly listed in Qflash if you have a floppy and USB plugged in. Look in both or the one if that is all you see, and see if you find your BIOS file. It could also be a hard drive as shown in my image.

You must have legacy storage detect enabled in the BIOS and leave the USB Stick plugged in the whole time you reboot to go into Qflash. If you do not see anything in the floppy you are seeing, then it very well may be that it is not your USB Stick and if you are not seeing and HDD's listed then your stick is not working with Qflash or you do not have a setting right.

Some just do not work, try another one. Smaller ones tend to have better chances and being compatible. If you do not have another one, you can easily make a FAT32 1GB partition at the end of your hard drive, this will be seen for sure

Comment

Thank you both - Qflash did not recognize usb stick last night, today it did - go figure...
                              Flash seems successful, though I can't tell any difference. *Before* I flashed I had swapped to a different C drive (that's also failing, but at least boots part way) and the BIOS was suddenly able to recognize all 4 drives again - But, I flashed anyway. S0, am I now going to put the original C drive back in as the boot drive just to see if the BIOS still recogizes all drives - I don't think so :) I bought a new drive, will put Vista on it. Then I'll just treat the original C as another drive and see if I can access the files on it - doubtful - again Seagate. ; )

I appreciate the assistance, I expect the board itself is ok, and probably the BIOS now, too, knock wood. For your help, I now know alot more about BIOS
                              GA-EX58-UD5P bios F6
                              i7 920
                              (TR3X6G1600C8D)
                              Radeon 4870
                              Vista 64
                              etc

Comment

Working...
                              X