• GA-EP45-UD3P rev1 w/Corsair 1066 Mem no longer POSTS

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 ghz
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF memory
    BFG GeForce 8800GTS (BFG88512GTSE)
    A pair of Seagate 640 GB (ST640323AS)
    Corsair TX750W power supply
    Lite-On 52X ATAPI/E-IDE DH53R2P-08
    Samsung 22X DVD +/- R SATA SH-S223!
    Also a RAID 10 array of 4 360 gbyte Hitachi's (not my boot partition)

I built this system last November (2008). Its been rock solid running XP-Pro 32 bit, Win7 RC1 32bit and Win7 RC1 64 - its a tri-boot system.

A few weeks ago I started to get BSOD's across all three OS's. Chased windows issues around for a while but finally booted memtest v4 and it showed the memory failed in certain locations.

The memory was 4 gbyte of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D F.

Returned the RAM under RMA and received a new set.

Not sure but I think the revison was higher than what I RMA'd, its now 1.2.

Installed the memory taking all due static precautions and then nothing worked. Zero, zip, nada. No post, nothing on the screen, absolutely nothing.

I tried one stick at a time, no change. I removed all the memory and got a 10 beep post with the unit shutting down after that.

I've removed all connections from the power supply except the MB and GPU.

Still nothing.

I reset the MB's CMOS both by jumper and by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery. I reseated the GPU card. I tried another monitor.

I then gave up, and went to Corsair for another RMA.

In the meantime I put a single stick of Kingston 800Mhz RAM in there and can't kill it. Memtest runs forever, and prime95 ran until I stopped it after about 8 hours.

I've now received and installed the second set of RMA'd Corsair memory and got exactly the same results - no video, no POST, no BIOS screen, nada.

The system was never overclocked, everything left in auto, and the BIOS screen reported everything correctly from the SPD data - the timing was 5-5-5-15 and the voltage was 2.1v. That's from the original set I had there. Since I can't ever get a display with the new sets I can only guess its working. It does report the correct numbers for the 800mhz stick.

Before I RMA the motherboard, anyone got any ideas? Or does it really sound like the mobo just doesn't like the Corsair anymore? I wish the Corsair versions hadn't changed, one more variable to the pot.

Bios is still at F4.

All help welcome. Thanks.

TIA
    <!-- / message -->

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P rev1 w/Corsair 1066 Mem no longer POSTS

I suspect it is the new memory, especially since you Kingston test worked fine. Sounds like they have changed something that the board or BIOS does not like. You may need to sell those and go for another brand. Or call them and explain the issues and see if they can or will issue you another RMA and this time send you the older version of the sticks. They may still have some in stock, I would call in this time so you can talk with someone in person about getting this squared away this time.

Did you try clearing the CMOS yet, if not please try as this may allow them to work. Use the long method I mentioned in post #2 here >>

Also, I just noticed you are using a very old BIOS. If this is a memory compatibility issue then it may have been corrected in later BIOSes. I would suggest you put in the kingston stick again and update to the latest BIOS and then do further testing before you think about another RMA or new memory

Latest BIOS for your board is here, F10j

Please read this guide for safe flashing procedures, DO NOT USE @BIOS >>

If you are using RAID BE SURE you read the guide so you do not corrupt your array

Comment

Lsdmeasap, thanks for the quick response, I'm not used to such speed......

I've read up on the stuff you suggested and I'll make a record of all my current BIOS settings then go for the (long) CMOS reset.

Then I'll upgrade the Bios.

If the problem is with the Corsair memory, is there a more brand people have had better luck with overall? The original sticks were perfect for 8 months, but.......

So far with the 800Mhz Kingston in there, I just can't kill the system. Now I'm wishing I'd bought two sticks so I could try dual channel mode.

Comment

Anytime, I am here to help and try to do so quickly when I am around!

Well those sticks should be fine for this board then if you have been using them for 8 months, the issue would have to be something other than memory compatibility unless it is someting with the new revisions they sent you. However, the memory could be faulty though, have your or can you test it one by one in another system or yours with Memtest86+? I advise you do that soon as you can

My brands of choice are in my signature, others that I know work good with this board can vary as each brand always has several kits and not always do they all work. I do think yours should fine though since you had been using them so long, it is likely one or both just is going faulty and the new revisions is not compatible.

Did you try and call in and see if you can be sent the older revisions via another RMA?
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-11-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Well, finally got a chance to get back to experimenting with the system. I've actually been using it, so I've left the 1 gbyte stick in channel A.

I cleared the CMOS, upgraded the BIOs to the one I could get to from the Gigabyte site, F9. I booted with the 1 gbyte stick, then loaded the optimized defaults, then made the settings to support my disks, etc.

I installed one stick of the Corsair memory and got the expected results, which is to say, no post, nothing.

Then I figured what the heck, and I moved the memory into the Channel B socket. It booted fine. Then I installed the other stick into the 2nd channel B socket and the system came up and is currently running prime95.

I'll let it run memtest V4 before I go to bed.

I did notice that I had to manually up the DRAM voltage to 2.1 volts, something I didn't have to do in the past, but could that be from the new version of the BIOS? The rest of the settings were Auto detected just fine (1066, 5-5-5-15T).

So does it look like the controller for Channel A is toast and I should RMA the board?

Or since 4 gybte is all I ever plan on having in here should I just leave it alone or am I likely to have a future problem?

Comment

If the memory has EPP and you have XMP profile selected or auto at stock settings you probably don't have to set voltage manually.
            Check PC Health Status with auto settings.

Comment

EPP or SPD? I thought it got the info it need from SPD.....

In any event when I was running this with the previous version of the memory, and with the F4 bios, everything set correctly automatically, including the correct 2.1 volts.

Now, with the same settings, it wants to use 1.8 volts and I have to manually bump it to 2.1 volts.

Who knows? I'm more worried that the channel A memory controller is down the pottie.

Comment

EPP(Eanhanced Performance Profile) is an extention and part of SPD.
                It only shows 1.8v and auto in MIT, actual value that will be applied is 2.1v.
                Didn't the 1GB stick boot fine in slot #1?
                Warranty is three years isn't it, so you still have time to decide if and when to try RMA.
                What slots exactly do you use now?

Comment

The one gig stick worked perfect in slot 1. Memtest and Prime95 ran extensively with no problems.

The 2 gigabyte sticks refuse to POST in slot 1, but they work perfectly so far in slots 2 and 4. So as of now, I'm using slots 2 and 4 with 2 gbyte sticks in each slot. Memtest has now been running almost 3 hours w/no problems. I'm going to let it run overnight.

Comment

Working...
                  X