• Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H sata drive problem

I have just finished building pc...

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H
    AMD Athlon II X4 620
    4GB (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory
    160GB WD1600AAJS

... and when I try to install xp operating system the drivers start to load for a few minutes (as normal) then blue STOP screen is displayed with following message...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configures and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78E2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

................... end of blue screen message ..........................

I don't think BIOS is recognising the sata drive correctly, can you advise?
    I have tried another HDD but still same problem, also tried another OS but problem is still there.
    ...when trying to boot for first time there was a SATA Mode message... "SATA is found running at IDE MODE"
    ... can't remember if I entered Y or N to this, so not sure if this has anything to do with the problem,
    Nothing I do in BIOS seems to help, is this a known problem? can I restore BIOS to factory settings as this motherboard supports DualBIOS so it has two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS, but how do I do this? ... any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by fracmo2000; 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Re: Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H sata drive problem

You most likely set the SATA controller to AHCI mode after you got the mode message. If you want to continue to use AHCI mode, you'll have to load the AHCI driver with a floppy via F6 as XP setup is loading drivers. I recommend you skip that and run it in IDE mode instead (set the SATA controller to IDE mode in the bios). The AMD AHCI driver is lame and gives you a negligible performance boost.

Another option is to install XP in IDE mode, install the AHCI driver manually, and reboot to enable AHCI in the bios. Here is the driver/reg file if you're interested:

Comment

Let us know if you need more help with this.

To load defaults for your BIOS just choose load optimized defaults on the MAIN page of the BIOS and then hit F10 and reboot

Comment

Thanks for your help with this post, I have only now managed to have another go at resolving this problem...

In the BIOS Setup program, the Main Menu, I chose 'Load Optimized Defaults' to restore BIOS to factory settings and then during POST I got the message telling me the SATA controller is running in IDE Mode .. "SATA is found running at IDE MODE". The MB user manual says press Y to enable AHCI mode, or N to continue in IDE mode. I tried N but system then does not see the DVD drive, so I had to chose the Y option. The system now sees the DVD drive, but I still got the same Stop error screen as before when trying to install XP.

I managed to get my hands on an RC version of windows 7 (just for a trial) and it loaded ok with no problems so that proves the MB and memory setup is ok. Therefore the error must be relating to XP, which is an old OS.

Someone told me that if you want to load an old legacy OS like XP you need to plug your DVD into a specific SATA connector on this MB, only SATA2_4 connector supports legacy mode, so I did this and XP loaded without any problems. I then moved the DVD to another connector afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions of help, it was much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X