Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow USB Flash Pen Drive Boot on EP45-UD3

Hi All!

-I'm experiencing a slow boot procedure from my USB pendrive. it is a Corsair Flash Voyager 8Gb.
    -It seems that the BIOS forces it to USB 1.1 or 1.0 speed at POST, although it's plugged to a USB 2.0 port at the back of my PC.
    -For example - it takes ages to boot the "Mini-XP" from the Hiren's Boot CD which I've installed on my pen drive.
    -My motherboard is a new GA-EP45-UD3 1.0 which I've updated to the latest beta F9b BIOS.
    -I've noticed that problem occurs only on all kinds of Gigabyte motherboards.
    -On other,and older motherboards from different manufacturers my pen drive boots at USB 2.0 speeds.
    -I've wrote to Gigabyte and described my problem for them. their response was that it is AWARD fault and not theirs. this is an odd excuse, because some of the motherboards which i've tested my pen drive on, were using AWARD bios and booted my pen drive as fast as hell.

So if any of you could help, I will be most appreciated.

Re: Slow USB Flash Pen Drive Boot on EP45-UD3

Do you have Legacy USB Storage detect enabled in the BIOS, and of course USB 1.1-2.0? Just checking

It could be anything, the BIOS itself, the USB Stick, the port used. Have you tried a different USB Stick, or port? Have you tried older BIOSes?

Just so you know, I think Mini-XP does boot slow, even on a CD. Of course I have not tried Hirens version of this lately, as I normally use Digiwiz MiniPE myself when I need a mini XP

Comment

Lsdmeasap Thanks for the quick response, Legacy Usb storage detect is turned on otherwise it won't recognize the usb pendrive, and 2.0 support is checked also, I've checked my device using all of the ports,and checked on older BIOSes/ the only thing i wasn't checking is another USB Flash drive but I'm pretty sure that not it's problem - you should have to see the speed differences when it's booting on other PC's - faster than a CD drive, and in my case (or many other GBT boards) - as slow as a floppy drive.

Comment

Ya, I thought so. Just had to check.

It could be the flash drive, some work and some do not. I have a few that have issues with Qflash, so not all USB Sticks are fully compatible. So if you do have another try it out and see if you find the same.

Did you test all ports onboard? Even front panel ones? Just thinking of other things you could try.

Comment

OK. I will get another usb flash drive and post results ASAP.
          Thanks.

Comment

K, Let us know how you get along. Try to borrow one, so you don't buy one for nothing if this is not the issue, or you don't end up buying another incompatible one if that is the issue.

Also try out other methods of booting, such as is is slow when you boot to a USB bootable Memtest86+ or just to DOS? How about a Vista USB Install test?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              K, Let us know how you get along. Try to borrow one, so you don't buy one for nothing if this is not the issue, or you don't end up buying another incompatible one if that is the issue.

Also try out other methods of booting, such as is is slow when you boot to a USB bootable Memtest86+ or just to DOS? How about a Vista USB Install test?
              -Yeah, done that! Win 7 Install takes ages to boot to Installer...

Comment

Do you have floppy disabled in the BIOS? If you do not have one connected then please disable this as it will cause any install process to take forever, which may be why your mini XP takes forever to start as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Do you have floppy disabled in the BIOS? If you do not have one connected then please disable this as it will cause any install process to take forever, which may be why your mini XP takes forever to start as well.
                  -Floppy was disabled from the 1st moment, I will post later results after I'll borrow friend's usb stick of a few of them.
                  Thanks.

Comment

K, let us know how you get along!

Comment

Well, so far I've tested 2 usb flash sticks:

-Sandisk Cruzer 8GB V8
                      -Sandisk Cruzer 2GB V7

Both with disappointing results. What can I say, don't get me wrong, Gigabyte makes a great motherboards with an approach to the future, but something is missing with their futuristic approach which is the support for solid-state storage, which is a great miss. soon spinning media is going to disappear off the face of the planet, and we can't be too picky about buying our storage devices, therefore I wouldn't recommend buying their motherboards to anyone that is planning to use a solid-state usb storage devices. too bad for them, still they can improve their motherboards compatibility. That's the reason why my next motherboard won't be a Gigabyte.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap<o:p></o:p>
                        <o:p> </o:p>
                        -I've attached Gigabyte's answer for the USB boot speeds issues.<o:p></o:p>
                        <o:p></o:p>

A - This is like if we were like say 30 years ago and IBM would tell to their customers "Hey, your PC XT can't boot? what floppies did you bought? no, sorry, we're supporting Verbatim disks only, otherwise don't come to us."<o:p></o:p>
                        B - "USB boot up is not a PC standard"? - since when our motherboards are PC Standard? -Things are not "PC standard" since IBM made PC an open platform like 20 years ago? -but USB 2.0 is a standard. Most of the manufacturers (even crap boards from ECS and PC-Chips) support POSTing @ USB 2.0 speeds, Hence booting from USB is a "PC standard" but NOT a "Gigabyte standard".<o:p></o:p>
                        C - This issue caused only by Gigabyte stubborn altitude. I'm sure this is not a hardware issue since the chipsets made by manufacturers like Intel,AMD,VIA,SiS,ULi etc' and it can be resolved by a simple BIOS upgrade.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for your time.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well... That may be of no help, it could be that particular brand itself or the memory it uses. Can you please test with another brand

Some sticks just wont work for certain things, I have a 512MB PQI that will work with Qflash, and then another PQI 2GB sent to me directly from Gigabyte that will not work at all in Qflash. Then I have another 2GB Non Branded (DES Energy Saver Leaf) sent directly from Gigabyte that works just fine.

So it could be brands or memory used in the stick themselves, but I can assure you some will just not work and others will work fine.

Solid State Storage will be internal SATA and you will not need to worry about this. Just so you know in case you are thinking of getting a SSD, they all work fine in Gigabyte boards and I am using one now.

Comment

Hi there,

I've got the same problem of slow booting USB devices on a gigabyte mainboard. I've managed to get a workaround for this problem, I'm using the bootmanager from PLOP Linux (
                            <cite>www.plop.at) It has a USB launcher option an is using his own controller driver and is not using the bios USB driver. The
                            problem is
                            </cite>definitely in<cite> the gigabyte bios but that can only be fixed bij gigabyte. I hope this will help you as good as it did for me. I run now stuff from my usb stick at full speed \

grtz
                            Sigma

</cite>

Comment

Hi Sigma!

Thanks for your advice but I've already tried PLoP and their USB driver freeze my system when I had chosen some ports and other ports worked @ usb 1.1 speed. I don't remember exactly but it was no good for me. thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X