Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) motherboard.

Hello All

I have recently upgraded my ECS nvidia/gf8100vm-m5 to your GA-MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) motherboard.
    I have a few questions.
    1) When I first started the system up everything seem to load up automatically, and I have not needed to reformat windows7x64. However the boot process is very slow compared to the ami bios I had before, and there does not seem to be any fast post option like the more simple ami bios. It seems to boot ok but then hangs slightly at DMI pool data, then boots into windows very slowly. On the old chipset it booted within 15seconds! And with the fast boot option you could skip the full system check.
    2) So is there any fast boot option in the award bios?
    3) I have reseated all conections, should I reformat windows?
    4) I have two Hitachi sata HDT7210108SLA360 HARD DRIVES, What settings would suit these best, it all seems much more complicated in this award bios, as in the ami you could just set boot sata and disable ide. Making it boot slightly quicker. I notice there are many more options in the award, but it all seems very complicated.
    5) Can I cross fire the on board ati 4200 graphics with the hd 4650 graphic card? And do I need to set this in bios?
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your responses.
    Update!...I have now reformated, and reinstalled, still same problem please any one ?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

One thing I have noticed is the mb has a 2x4pin 12v connector, my old one had a 1x 4pin, I thought this was for more expasion options.
    I think this might be the problem some one tell me if I am wrong?
    It is currently connected to a rather load CIT 700w atx power supply but it does not have an 8pin connecter.

Re: Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) motherboard.

They are working to implement a "Quick Boot" Option into Gigabyte boards, I am not sure how long that will take, and or if this will apply to all models new and old?

I would do a reinstall for sure, is the board you mention the same exact chipsets? If not, or even if so, I would recommend a clean install since you seem to be having some issues. I see you have done a clean install and had no improvements, see below and be sure you have your disks connected properly

Be sure to put your OS Drive into the first SATA slot (SATA2_0), and put your CD/DVD Drive into the last SATA Port (SATA2_5).

On boards with 8 pin ATX CPU Power connections, a 8 Pin EPS Capable Power supply is suggested. Yes a 4 pin may work, but may cause issues and I always suggest getting a proper power supply. Odd to hear a 700W PSU does not have a 8 Pin connector, is this a cheap model or what? PSU is something to not buy on the cheap, it is the MOST Important part of your system. So if you do have some spare $$, you may need to start looking for a new PSU from a respected company.

Yes, I believe you can crossfire your GFX, see page 19 of your manual it shows you how to enable. This may not be of any real use though, just FYI

Comment

Thank you for your quick response,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
      <o:p></o:p>
      I can not believe on a 2009 board there is no quick post option! I kind of wish I went for the asus htpc 785g mb:(<o:p></o:p>
      I choose this one because it was the only full size atx with lots of ports and I could use allot of my old parts..<o:p></o:p>

I got this htpc from a company that now does not exist.<o:p></o:p>
      I have ordered this one today, the 650w model, I hope it helps.<o:p></o:p>
      http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/psus-601-1000/kamariki4<o:p></o:p>
      I will also try your other suggestions, should I update the bios too? I am not keen to do that because they say it is risky!<o:p></o:p>
      I did not think what sata went where mattered that much, but I must be wrong.<o:p></o:p>
      Many thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Comment

Hi, jist to say thanks, I changed cables around & reset the bios, hard drive settings, and now its booting faster, however for some reason I can not get my slave drive showing in computer. But it is listed in device manager, and drivers are up to date.
        In bios I can not seem to set it to slave?Any ideas?

Comment

MMM
          I spoke to soon, the same problem is back. This gigabyte board is driving me crazy.
          I filled in the gigabyte tech request a week ago! I have not even had a email to say they have a ticket.
          Any one know a uk support number for them?
          To anyone out there who is a bit of a novice in building a pc, do not buy a gigabyte motherboard with an award bios on it.

Comment

Updating your BIOS is fine, and I do suggest it! What BIOS are you using anyway? If it is old then this could be part of the issue.

Please be sure you read my guide so update the BIOS safely >>

You should not change ANY of the settings in Standard CMOS page of the BIOS, if you have that may be why you are having troubles. Please load optimized defaults, reboot and start over again, this time not making any changes in that page.

About slave, are you referring to a actual IDE Ribbon cable drive? If so, do you have the jumper set to slave or CS, and the drive in the correct place on the cable? Middle of the cable is slave and then end is master.

Actually yes, they do have a UK Forum with active Gigabyte employees. Maybe they could help as well >>
            Official GIGABYTE Forum - Index

Let us know how you get along

Comment

Thank you Lsdmeasap,

I have bios version F4,16/09/2009. So its pretty upto date already. The only new one they have for this board is a beta dated 19/11/2009.

I set every thing as you have said, and it did boot up as it should, still a little slower than the AMI bios as there is no quick boot option. But good enough.
              I switched the power off went to work, came back and the problem started again! Bizzare huh! I checked the cmos battery, but that is well in.
              I only have 2 x 1tb Hitachi sata HDT7210108SLA360 hard drives. They have never needed jumbers.
              The only setting in the standard CMOS page of the BIOS I have changed is dissable floppy. Who has them these days
              Although I have my sata cables conected like as you suggested,this is how it shows on the standard cmos:
              I expected to show the SATA_0 as IDE 0. But this how it is dectected.

IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER NONE (THESE MUST BE FOR REAL IDE DRIVES)
              IDE CHANNEL 0 SLAVE NONE
              IDE CHANNEL 1 MASTER NONE (IF I PUT THE SATA IN SATA_2 IT SHOW HERE)
              IDE CHANNEL 1 SLAVE NONE
              IDE CHANNEL 2 MASTER HDT7210108SLA360(SATA_0)
              IDE CHANNEL 2 SLAVE HDT7210108SLA360 (SATA_1)
              IDE CHANNEL 3 MASTER CDR0M (SATA_5)
              IDE CHANNEL 3 SLAVE NONE

ALTHOUGH NOTE, IN THE ADVANCED CMOS SETTINGS UNDER
              FIRST BOOT DEVICE I HAVE IT SET TO
              1ST BOOT DEVICE HARD DISK (THE OS IS HERE)
              2ND BOOT DEVICE HARD DISK (THIS IS A SLAVE)
              3RD BOOT DEVICE CDROM (should this be in a slave or master sata?)

Thank you for all your kind help, that is allot more I could about Gigabyte tech support and the dealer. I will post this on there forum too.

Comment

I suggest you use the beta for sure!

Ya I agree, Gigabyte boards are a little slow to bootup. Asus ones are the same as well, as I just built a X38 Asus for a client and was surprised to see similar loading speeds, even with the quickboot enabled

Ya SATA drives do not need jumpers, I was just unsure since you mentioned slave, if you were using IDE or not. So since you are not, I can now tell you were in the standard CMOS page looking at settings or changing something... No need to even go int there, nothing needs adjusted and you can ignore any slave/master labels.

First, second, third devices.

This should be your normal Floppy/CD/OS HDD. If you disable and do not use floppy then you should set it like this >>
                1.CD
                2. OS HDD
                3. Nothing, or second boot drive if you want (No need though, because you can choose to boot to this drive via F12 boot menu when you want to)

Comment

Thank you again, so what boards have the fastest boot speed?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                  I will try to set all your suggestions today if my new power supply arrives!<o:p></o:p>
                  So if I do not have a 3rd boot device, will my second hard drive still be assessable in windows?<o:p></o:p>

Comment

Just to say my 3 year old Dell boots in 10 seconds with windows 7 32 bit
                    This system has:
                    OS windows 7 64bit home
                    CPU Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 Mhz,
                    Motherboard System Model Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
                    Graphics Card Ati Saphire 4650 ultimate 1 gig on board hdmi
                    Sound Card built in hi def audio
                    And 8gig of 800 ddr2 ram
                    Whats going on!

Comment

ok I seem to have solved the problem at last,Don't ask me how!
                      It is still a litle slower booting than my old nvidia board,which is very poor in my opinion, sad there no fast boot option!
                      I have windows7 x 64, in advanced bios settings for sata it has 3 settings,native ide,raid and ahci, I want a very quick HTPC for media center use,eg mkv files, dts/dolby sound,bluray. what is the best setting for this? Any Ideas any one?
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-03-2009, 02:24 AM.

Comment

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width="85%">Sorry I do know why that post came out so many times!
                        I spoke to soon again, its started again....................

It hangs on dma pool data then takes 3/4 minutes to boot into windows 7.
                        So far I have have
                        Reset bios
                        taken bios battery out
                        Reset optimised and safe defualts
                        striped the machine of all components 1 by 1
                        when i put it all back together i refomated the drive again!
                        Then it worked great a few times then sudedenly started doing it again. It must be a fault bios chip.
                        It already has the latest safe bios, if i flash it i could risk the warranty.
                        What do i do i am pulling my hair out.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"><TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltext width="100%" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD id=modified_4425 class=smalltext vAlign=bottom></TD><TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Use AHCI if you like, and Native Enabled.

Flashing the BIOS will not void your warranty. Please be sure if you do flash that you use Qflash, here is a guide >>

Have you tested this disk with the manufacturers diagnostic tools?

Comment

I gave up after to much time spent on that silly board. Sent it back!

Thanks for all your kind help guys. Got my Asus one today fitted and working within 2 hours. No problems.Boots in seconds.

Comment

Sorry to hear you gave up! And really sorry you do not use Intel, otherwise I could have easily helped you out.

Enjoy your new board though, no hard feelings!

Comment

Working...
                              X