Vista 64 on EX58-UD5 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64 on EX58-UD5 Problem

I am new here and apologize if this issue has been explained or answered somewhere else in the forum and I missed it. But I feel like I am at my wits end.

My system is compromised as follows:
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 MB
    Intel i7-920 2.66 Chip
    Crucial 2GB (x6) DDR3PC3 10600 (12GB total)
    300GB Velociraptor 10000RPM SATA Drive
    Sapphire Radeon 4890 Graphics card
    Corsair 750W PS

I cannot get Vista to see the Drive to install. I have tried a 500GB Sata Drive which Vista will see but wont allow me to install to. I have tried every BIOS configuration imaginable, used a SATA and IDE DVD drive, and loaded all drivers. I RMAd the power supply and even tried the same set up on a EX58-UD4P MB with no luck. The weird thing is that this is basically the same set I have built at my job 4x with no problems and of course this is my home machine that I have problems with.

Help me TweakTown, you're my only hope...

Re: Vista 64 on EX58-UD5 Problem

disable all floppy drives in the bios select none,set first boot disk as wd velociraptor and try...also what bios are you using?use q-flash and flash to the latest "fI" beta bios here on gigabytes main page,dont worry about beta bios there 100% stable and contain all the latest fixes...also try with just 6gb of ram installed first till your up and running
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      disable all floppy drives in the bios select none,set first boot disk as wd velociraptor and try...also what bios are you using?use q-flash and flash to the latest "fI" beta bios here on gigabytes main page,dont worry about beta bios there 100% stable and contain all the latest fixes...also try with just 6gb of ram installed first till your up and running
      Wazza thanks for the reply. I already had the floppy disabled and I guess I should have said earlier the I am using f9e (beta) BIOS. Also dropped the RAM down to 6GB (although during the POST screen it only shows that there is 4GB (dont know if that means anything or not). Still no luck. Also again not sure if it will help in diagnosing the problem but, in the Vista set up when it asks if you want to load a driver it will see the Velociraptor drive and when I click on it, it prompts me to format it. If I select yes it says "Windows can't format c:\", it then says check and see that the disk is not read only and that it is connected correctly.

Comment

it should be in ntfs format,have you tried formatting it in another pc first??
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I will try to format it in another machine if I can get it running (old machine crashed hard which necessitated building the new 1). Would the NTFS issue also cause the hang during the Boot after the Verifying the DMI Pool Data?

Comment

Originally posted by Pdtnvb82 View Post
            I will try to format it in another machine if I can get it running (old machine crashed hard which necessitated building the new 1). Would the NTFS issue also cause the hang during the Boot after the Verifying the DMI Pool Data?
            i dont know all i know is it needs to be in ntfs format or fat32..but fat32 is usually used for back up/recovery partitions,its usually ntfs..try that first and we can go from there
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Got the drive formatted to NTFS still wont recognize in the Vista install

Comment

4GB showing at post is a concern to me, but this should not affect your install process which I will give you some tips on in a second.

If you are seeing 4GB instead of 6GB of ram, then you may have one of a few things wrong. This can be caused by bent CPU Socket pins, are you SURE that none of the pins are damaged in anyway? If you remove the CPU to look be VERY Careful as a few times I have said this users damaged their pins while trying to check this! The other thing that can cause this is incorrect amounts of QPI/Vtt, IOH, or ram voltages. Uncore settings can also be a factor but not so much as the others mentioned.

Let's get into that more later though, about your install. First of all, are you sure this install media will complete an install? Can you test on another machine or virtual machine to be sure? Have you tested the drive itself with WD Diagnostic tools to be sure it is not faulty? Do you have an alternate CD/DVD drive you can use for testing, sometimes this can be an issue as well so if you do not have any luck with any of my suggestions and do have a second drive please test with that.

Please be sure you have the hard drive connected to SATA2_0 (Blue) and connect your CD/DVD drive to SATA2_5. Then use one of the following set of settings depending on how you are trying to install the system

Normal IDE mode (NON RAID / AHCI):

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
                SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
                SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports) Can be disabled if like, if you are not using any IDE Ribbon cable devices, or have anything connected to the white ports.
                Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
                Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

AHCI:

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
                SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports) Can be disabled if like, if you are not using any IDE Ribbon cable devices, or have anything connected to the white ports.

RAID:

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID

Then on the advanced BIOS page set your device order to CD, then HDD (you can use F12 at bootup to select boot device if your CD does not boot first). Then in the Hard Drive Boot order menu please be sure you move your hard drive by name to the top of that list. Nothing should be changed or set in the standard CMOS page. And you should first start by loading Optimized Defaults on the MAIN page of the BIOS and then save and apply F10 and reboot back to the BIOS to make these changes before proceeding with your install. Do not use Fail Safe settings.

Let me know if you need further help!

Please do test your drive so we are trying all this for nothing, WD Diagnostic tool can be downloaded here >>
                WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS > WD VelociRaptor

Comment

LSD -

I ran the diagnostic tool and i get a cabled fail error. I tried different cables and no difference. However I can now see the drive in Vista and can read from it and write to it and using the diagnostic tool I even zeroed it out!!

What I was able to do was use 500GB 7200RPM Samsung SATA drive in the new tower to load XP. Then go back in and load Vista on to it and it appears to be working fine. So I then connected the Raptor which it recognizes and i written and read files to/from it. So I am at a loss why the diagnostic gives the cable error.

Also on the RAM issue what appears to be the problem is that the sticks (doesn't matter which sticks) that I put in DDR3_2 and DDR3_1 are not being recognized to that is why the total RAM amount is only whatever the combined total of what is in the other slots, so 12GB worth of RAM is only seen as 8GB. Is that a voltage issue?

Comment

LSD -

I ran the diagnostic tool and i get a cabled fail error. I tried different cables and no difference. However I can now see the drive in Vista and can read from it and write to it and using the diagnostic tool I even zeroed it out!!

What I was able to do was use 500GB 7200RPM Samsung SATA drive in the new tower to load XP. Then go back in and load Vista on to it and it appears to be working fine. So I then connected the Raptor which it recognizes and i written and read files to/from it. So I am at a loss why the diagnostic gives the cable error.

Also on the RAM issue what appears to be the problem is that the sticks (doesn't matter which sticks) that I put in DDR3_2 and DDR3_1 are not being recognized to that is why the total RAM amount is only whatever the combined total of what is in the other slots, so 12GB worth of RAM is only seen as 8GB. Is that a voltage issue?
                    will it boot with just one stik in slot #1?? is that the first white slot from cpu socket? it should boot up if alls well and it will show c1 if not
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

@Wazza, when I put just 1 stick in DDR3_1 (first white slot) nothing happens and I get error code CF, which according to the error code list means "Test CMOS R/W functionality".

@LSD, when i make the changes in the BIOS either to the AHCI or the IDE variation the disk drive will; either do nothing and hang at the Verifying DMI Pool on the AHCI setting or Ask if I want to boot from CD and then hang on the IDE setting.
                      Last edited by Pdtnvb82; 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

@Wazza, when I put just 1 stick in DDR3_1 (first white slot) nothing happens and I get error code CF, which according to the error code list means "Test CMOS R/W functionality".

@LSD, when i make the changes in the BIOS either to the AHCI or the IDE variation the disk drive will; either do nothing and hang at the Verifying DMI Pool on the AHCI setting or Ask if I want to boot from CD and then hang on the IDE setting.
                        try clearing cmos at rear switch,also hold front power button in and turn off pc and turn of at rear of psu all the time holding front power button in...hold in for 20seconds after flicking rear psu switch and try again
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Could be a false positive on the cable error, maybe a bug? Or it could be you have SATA I cables not SATA II, not sure if that would cause a error though?

So it is working now right? Just wondering, if not it could very well be faulty PCB on the drive, can or have you tested it in another PC with this tool yet?

Yes, please try clearing the CMOS and then booting with 3 sticks in the white slots for now, then load optimized and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Then shut down and remove all the ram except the one stick in slot one (White DDR3_1), and see if that will boot.

If it does not, you either have a faulty Slot 1, or you have bent CPU Socket pins. You can't really test DDR3_2 by itself, but you can try 1, 3, 5 loaded and 2, that may or may not work I am not sure. I do know though that you can't boot with memory in the blue slots by themselves.

Comment

Working...
                          X