Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X58A-UD7 & 12GB ram problem

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You need to find the right settings is all, that is if you do not have bent CPU Socket pins.

For 12GB you should use 1.66-1.7V anyway, no need to worry about using 1.65

You will need to tinker with IOH, QPI/Vtt, QPI PLL and uncore settings. I don't think you will have a very easy time running 12GB at 2000Mhz, the kits are rated to that by themselves. You may be able to do it, but it may take some crazy voltages to do so.

1800-1900 may be much easier, and of course 1600 would be a breeze.

Let me have your full current settings, template link is in m signature, and I can advise you further on things. Let me know what your optimal choice of Bclk and ram speed would be, under 2000Mhz for now
    1600 a breeze? please tell me what voltages to use for 1600 with 12gb gskill DDR3 2133 (PC3 17066). UD7, and 950. Bios f3c. I cant get 12gb to show at all. Well not at will. Sometimes it shows but most of the time its 10gb or 8gb. I've tried many different combinations of voltages (IOH, QPI/VTT, QPI/PLL. DRAM up to 1.7) What is the pattern or formula or reasoning for the correct voltages? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Nugzo, I see your issues at XS and have just not had time to reply and help you out there yet.

If you would give me your current full settings I can help you out for sure. About all your 8-10GB issues, please keep these thoughts in mind >>
      Asus X58 + 6/12GB memory overclocking - detecting less memory than installed

It is often QPI/Vtt and ram voltage relationships that cause this, I can cause it anytime on the fly with 6GB or 12GB

There isn't really a pattern, just all CPU's differ. Some like the QPI/Vtt to be closer to the ram amount, some less, and some do not care what you use.

What QPI/Vtt, Vdimm, and IOH have you been trying that fails? And what works for you at 6GB? Are you also trying QPI PLL? This will help me when I advise you back

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Hi Nugzo, I see your issues at XS and have just not had time to reply and help you out there yet.
        If you would give me your current full settings I can help you out for sure. About all your 8-10GB issues, please keep these thoughts in mind >>
        Asus X58 + 6/12GB memory overclocking - detecting less memory than installed
        It is often QPI/Vtt and ram voltage relationships that cause this, I can cause it anytime on the fly with 6GB or 12GB
        There isn't really a pattern, just all CPU's differ. Some like the QPI/Vtt to be closer to the ram amount, some less, and some do not care what you use.
        What QPI/Vtt, Vdimm, and IOH have you been trying that fails? And what works for you at 6GB? Are you also trying QPI PLL? This will help me when I advise you back
        Hi thanks for the reply. I've tried every combination of voltages i thought was safe. Here is what i've tried and what i'm currently using for 24/7 with 6gb installed. my current settings are whats shown in the brackets, what ive tried with 12gb installed is listed to the right.

current 24/7 6gb settings 180x24=4320mhz 1800 memory

Advanced CPU Features:
        CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [24] tried 19-24
        Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ...................... [enabled]
        CPU Cores Enabled .............................. [All]
        CPU Multi Threading .............................[disabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ........................ [disabled]
        C3/C6/C7 State Support ......................... [disabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor ............................ [disabled]
        CPU EIST Function .............................. [disabled]
        Virtualization Technology ...................... [enabled]
        Bi-Directional PROCHOT ......................... [enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
        QPI Link Speed ..............................[auto]
        Uncore Frequency ............................[auto]
        Isonchronous Frequency ......................[auto]

Standard Clock Control:
        BCLK Frequency (MHz) ................................[180] tried 175-215
        PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........................ [100] tried up to 104

Advanced Clock Control:
        CPU Clock Drive ..............................[900]
        PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [800]
        CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0]
        IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:
        Performance Enhance ...................... [standard]
        Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [8] tried 6-10
        DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
        ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
        CAS Latency Time ......................[8] tried 9
        tRCD ..................................[8] tried 9
        tRP ...................................[8] tried 9
        tRAS ..................................[21] tried up to 30
        CR.....................................[1] tried 2
        B2B.....................................[auto]
        trfc.....................................[auto] tried 100-110

Advanced Voltage Control:
        CPU Intel Core i7 950 D0 Stepping
        Load Line Calibration ................. [level1]
        CPU Vcore ..............................[1.40] tried 1.275-1.40
        QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.34] tried up to 1.6
        CPU PLL 1.800v .........................[auto] tried up to 1.9
        PCIE 1.500v ...........................[auto]
        QPI PLL 1.100v ........................[1.3] tried up to 1.5
        IOH Core 1.100v .......................[1.3] tried up to 1.5
        ICH I/O 1.500v ........................[auto] tried up to 1.6
        ICH Core 1.1v .........................[1.3] tried up to 1.6

DRAM
        DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.68] tried up to 1.7
        DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [AUTO]
        Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
        Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
        Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
        Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
        Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
        Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]

well there we have it. i spent all day yesterday trying different combinations of the above settings, nothing posted 12gb. the only time recently it has posted 12gb, was at current 24.7 settings. i just shut it down, added the other 6gb, it posted, failed overclock, but showed 12gb. loosend timings, bumped voltages, restarted, showed 8gb. tried for an hour to get the 12 back and couldnt. at that time i swapped the 6gb that was working with 24/7 settings, passing intel burn test, with the other 6gb that i took out yesterday. has been error free with that 6gb installed. also ran memtest 4.0 with each 6gb and passed hours with no errors. let me know what you suggest and i'll try it immediatly.

Comment

just read the link you posted above. while waiting for your reply, i'll reseat cpu and examine pads. I'm using a TRUE 1366 with stock brackets.

Comment

re-seated cpu and bumped vdimm to 1.74 and qpi to 1.5. 12gb working now at same clocks. i dont know if it was the re-seating or the extra vdimm. i'll drop vdimm/qpi and test. is 1.74 too much? they are cooled with the fans that came with the perfect storm. dimms are warm to the touch.

Comment

Vdimm at 1.7 and QPI at 1.5 still booting 12gb no problem. will lower qpi to 1.36 next. pretty sure it was the re-seating of the cpu that did it. i tried all of these voltages (1.70 and under) yesterday and they wouldnt work. If this holds up, i'll be extremely satisfied with 4.32/1800 12gb for 24/7 on air. Thanks for the help. Do you go by the same name on XS?
              Last edited by nugzo; 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Great to hear!

Ya it very well could have been the CPU re-seating, those pins are so tiny often then may be misaligned I think.

Yeap, same name at XS. You may not see me often there and I am normally so busy here I don't often have a chance to post much there. I will go add that link to the UD7 thread for others now.

Comment

Working...
                X