MB or PS problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB or PS problem?

A couple of months ago I put together a new system. GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard, PhenomII 550 Black Edition CPU, Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL power supply, AIT 4850 video card and memory. I unlocked the cores on the CPU so it reads as a quad core now.

I always suspend WinXP rather than full shutdown. Since the new hardware about 20% of the time the computer will not resume after suspending. I press the power button and nothing happens, no lights, no fan nothing. I have to unplug the cable from the power supply for about 10 seconds until i hear a faint noise (I assume it is a capacitor loosing its charge). Then I plug the cord back in, press power and the computer boots up. Once or twice I've gotten an error message saying the bios failed its check sum and it loads the backup of the bios but that has only happened 2-3 times. Usually it boots with no problems.

How can I figure out if this is a MB or PS issue, I don't have another PS to test it out.

Re: MB or PS problem?

You must use the latest BIOS to resume from S3 properly and you must be 100% Stable. So this core unlocking may be causing your instabilities you are just not seeing.

Does it resume fine when you disable this? If it does then you have your answer

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap, I checked the bios and there was a newer one so I updated and turned off the core unlock. I'll have to watch it for the next few days and see. The problem is intermittent so it will take me a while to know.

Comment

OK, ya it could be anything but since you were using a unlocked core I thought it best to check to see if that is the issue first before we look further into things.

Comment

Working...
        X