Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the new P55 boards using Foxcon sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the new P55 boards using Foxcon sockets?

I am considering an upgrade to Lynnfield soon, but I have come across some troubling news regarding 1156 sockets. Take a look:

AnandTech: P55 Extreme Overclockers: Check your sockets!

Now, I'm not an extreme overclocker, but I do like to have a nice 24/7 OC on my machines.
    I would like to know if any of the new boards are using the Foxconn socket - namely the UD3R

If they are using these sockets, is there any plans on changing the sockets on a new revision of the board?

I would like someone from Gigabyte support to respond please, since I am sure many people on this board would also like to know this information.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Are the new P55 boards using Foxcon sockets?

The more I read about this issue, the less happy I am. I have a GA-P55-UD4P board. While I am not an extreme overclocker, I hadn't ruled out doing some overclocking of my CPU. As others have mentioned elsewhere, the fact that full contact is not being made in the electrical interface with the CPU can potentially have ramifications for the non-overclockers as well over a prolonged period.

Is Gigabyte aware of this issue yet? Will they provide any guidance or resolution for the boards already out and in use?

Comment

I will try to find out for you guys and let you know what I am told.

I am SURE they are aware of the issue. It does only affect users who use high voltages though, so if you are not planning to go extreme or sub-zero and use high voltages you will be fine. I do understand your concerns and I am shooting off an email now to see if I can get any info regarding this issue.

*Edit*

Email sent, I will let you know when I get a response what they have to say
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-16-2009, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks, LSD. I'm sure we'll all be pleased to get some response from Gigabyte.

But, even though the issue has first surfaced with overclocking, why do you feel that it is an issue that non-overclockers should not be concerned about?

If the CPU is designed to receive a certain amount of electricity with a specified number of contact points and it does not make the correct number of contacts, isn't it possible that even without overclocking:

1. The CPU is not receiving the correct amount of electrical current; or

2. The CPU receives the correct amount but through fewer contact points thus overloading the points that do make proper contact with the risk of damage to the circuitry at those points.

It seems logical to me that, over an extended period of time, either scenario could do damage even to a CPU running at spec.

Comment

I say non Extreme Overclockers, not just overclockers.

This mainly affects only Extreme overclockers because they use HIGH Voltages, and in order to wisely do so you would be under sub-zero cooling. That is why I said it does not affect normal users/overclockers

I just think Burns are not occurring in normal usage conditions, only extreme conditions has this been noticed.

Your points are valid though for sure!

I will let you know what they say, likely wont be until next week though since it is already Friday night now in Taiwan

Comment

Any news on this issue?

Comment

Like to know myself

I have 30 days to return this P55 UD4P / i5 750 to Micro center

If i can do 3.6 24/7 i will Keep it or i will keep my E8500 @ 3.8 get some 1066 and shoot for 4.2

Comment

New upcoming models(USB 3.0,SATA 3,SLI or CrossFireX) P55A (EX58A?) coming with LOTES bracket.
                GA-P55A-UD6 (Rev:2.9):

GA-P55A-UD3R:

More info:
                Last edited by stasio; 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM.

Comment

If you look at the link to the picture the socket says LOTES but the cover says foxconn? hmm..... I just made an account just to say this.... the socket is LOTES but the cover is foxconn? whats going on? are they using a foxconn socket? or foxconn part that was in the problem causing foxconn sockets? something looks awfully fishy....
                  Last edited by th3v0!d; 10-26-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by th3v0!d View Post
                    If you look at the link to the picture the socket says LOTES but the cover says foxconn? hmm..... I just made an account just to say this.... the socket is LOTES but the cover is foxconn? whats going on? are they using a foxconn socket? or foxconn part that was in the problem causing foxconn sockets? something looks awfully fishy....
                    Cover didn't come together with socket.
                    Socket is important,not cover,right?
                    This is picture of bracket itself:

Btw,here is Asus Maximus III with Lotes socket and Foxconn cover:
                    Last edited by stasio; 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I have the P55-UD5 rev 1
                      Is it foxconn or LOTES on this board?

If it's foxconn, what about us people who already bought the product?

I guess that if Gigabyte went with LOTES for their latest boards, it's because there was problem with foxconn and they know it ??

thanks,

Comment

It's Foxconn for sure.
                        If you are not xtreme overclocker,should be OK.My UD6 is also same.Looking arround to found separate bracket to buy(it's arround 10 USD) and change myself.
                        Official site and model number (ACA-ZIF-082-K01) is here:
                        LOTES connectors,CPU Socket,Coolers and Antenna for Notebook Computer, Personal Computer ,Mobile electronic device,Ditial Video
                        Btw,one more pic of Lotes bracket:
                        (no cover,he,he)

and upcoming P55A(with Foxconn cover):

Last edited by stasio; 10-28-2009, 05:59 AM.

Comment

The issue with poor contact between the CPU and socket pads is current, e.g., how much current can be drawn by the CPU. By raising Vcc the CPU draws more current under load. If there is only a moderate OC then the lower current limit, established by the degraded socket connections, isn't an issue. Although the condition of a specific socket will vary from socket to socket, problems are more inclined to occur with CPUs that have higher current demands like quad cores, 65nm cores, higher speed CPUs.

There is also a good chance that the socket pad to CPU contact resistance will go up over time with marginal initial connections. This will lead to problems in the future on some computers which started out working fine.

Forget trying to change out a socket from a MB where there is over 1,000 solder connections.

My suggestion for people who are concerned about this, and can't get a replacement board, is to use a heat sink with a back plate behind the MB. The clamping force on CPU/socket may lower the electrical resistance between the two.

Comment

When do you think this will be fixed / when would I get a mobo without issues?

Comment

The sockets are not connected to the mounting plates, so there is no problem changing one out if you do decide to buy a new lock down lotes braces.

I can show you images of my X58 one removed if you like. The bracket is separate from the actual socket, all you have to do is unscrew the old bracket and screw back on the new one

Comment

Working...
                              X