Xigmatek Dark Knight Cooler
    Crucial Ballistix Tracers (w/Red LEDs) 2x2GB PC2-6400 [email protected]
    Asus ATI EAH-4850TOP 512mb PCI-E
    LG DVD+/-RW/DL
    Seagate 640GB SATA HDD
    Maxtor 300GB SATA HDD
    Coolermaster 500w PSU

Windows 7 x64 Retail version

I have been getting BSODs since the beginning!! I have been running stock since day one (about 9 months ago). I have gone through 2 different sets of RAM (OCZ Platinum, and OCZ Reaper), now I am using the Ballistix Tracers (as I thought they were more compatible). I have ran Memtest on these two sticks, one @ a time, over night (14 passes), and received 0 errors. However, I ran 1 stick in the first slot an in 1 pass, it got 102 errors. I then ran it in the second slot, and got 0 errors, as well as the 3rd, and 4th slot. I never received an error using the second stick in the first slot, second, third, or fourth.

I receive these BSODs while playing games, or while idle on my computer (desktop). It is always something like 0x00000005. I don't know the exact error, but I do know that it always pertains to the memory write errors, or access violation, etc. This has seriously made me want to go buy a store-bought computer. I have been building computers for 14 years, and I have NEVER had an issue such as this. And seeing that I finally break down and buy "quality" components, I figured it would be smooth as butter, boy was I wrong!! I have alot of minidumps I can post up here if anyone wants to see them, but ultimately, this is a cry for help, as I do not know what to do from here. Do I replace/RMA the motherboard (maybe it is one/all of my RAM slots?) Could it be my PSU? I have already RMA'd my video card, thinking that was the problem. ANY direction would be immensely appreciated, you have no idea!!

Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and Memory h*ll!!

Which memtest did you use? memtest86 or memtest86+, what version?
    Have you tried to repeat the test in slot #1? Could be the stick was not seated properly.
    Please fll your forum signature with your system specs, and a link to your memory specs.
    For a start load optimized defaults, set Performance Enhance to standard.
    With 2x2GB of memory usually more MCH Core is needed, in the range of 1.2-1.26v, try to increase it step at a time and see how it goes.
    In some less common cases less MCH Core is needed if incerasing it doesn't help try 1.05,1.00,09.95v.
    Run few passes of memtest86+ before boooting into windows.
    A screen capture of MemSet main and spd(click spd) windows may also be helpful.
    Latest versions of memtest86+ and MemSet can be found in http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762

Comment

I am currently at work. I will try it when I get home in about 2 hours and post my results. I believe I was using memtest86+. I havent tried anything with the MCH, that stuff was kind of intimidating tbh. Anyhow, thanks for the reply, I can't wait to get home and try to fix this!

Comment

I have the exact same ram and the exact same mobo (Same bios version too!!!). This is nothing new, and I don't know how to solve it. I get the memdumps, random windows errors. I am currently running the chips in the 2 & 4 slots instead of the 1 & 3 slots. I got errors on the 1 slot too. I am testing the 2 and 4 slots now, but it has only been a day. You are not alone (I get errors while running a 400FSB. I have tried both 44412 and 55518 figuring that the timings might have been too tight, but no) I have changed my PSU, and just bought an ati 5870 today. I don't think that is your problem.
        Last edited by sharpbiohazard; 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM.
        "The Anthrax Spore"
        GA-EP45-UD3R Rev#1.1-F11
        C2Q Q9550 (E0) 2.83Ghz 333x8.5
        Xigmatek HDT-SD964
        2x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 [KHX8500D2T1K2/4G]
        DDR2 1066 555-15 2.2v
        Gigabyte 5870 1GB DDR5
        X-Fi Xtremegamer
        Antec 750w Truepower
        Antec 900
        ASUS VH236H 1920X1080

"Gangrene"

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
        C2D E8500 (E0) 3.16Ghz 333x9.5
        Zalman CNPS7000C-AlCu
        2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500 [TWIN2X4096-8500C5C G] DDR2 800 555-18 1.8v
        XFX 9600GSO 768MB DDR2
        FSP 460w
        Antec 300
        Acer P224w 1680x1050

Comment

Well, so far so good. I changed my MCH Core to 2.0. It seems to be working...*crosses fingers*. Mine was set at 1.0 I believe. Anyhow, I am about to run some Everest tests on it to see how it works. I ran each stick in slot 1 and slot 3 (separate tests) for 2 passes in Memtest86+ version 4.0. (total of 4 tests). Then, I put both sticks in (1 in slot 1, 1 in slot 3), and ran Memtest86+ for 4 passes. No errors across the board. I hope that was the fix to my problem, because believe me, I am/was going insane! I will keep you posted.

Comment

I posted a reply to you here >>

Saw your post there first, sorry about that. 2.0V MCH? WOW< change that NOW, that is WAY to much

For 2x2GB you may need 1.20-1.24 maybe, but not 2.0V, hope that was a typo!

Comment

LOL!! Yeah, it's 1.20!! I don't know why I typed 2.0! Anyway, I am sooooo excited to finally use my almost 1 year old computer with stability!!!

Comment

Nice to see all is well, and glad that was a typo! I assumed so, but thought I better ask to be sure

Post back anytime if you need more help! Sorry you had instability for a year and did not find us sooner

Comment

Ok, got another BSOD. I haven't gotten to see it yet, but I can only assume that it was memory related (I am at work, and my g/f texted me the fantastic news). Anyhow, I only changed the MCH Core to 1.2v. Perhaps other settings need to be changed? I will post my full BIOS settings when I get home (in about 4 hours). Any brainstorming/action plans would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by jiffy760 View Post
                    Any brainstorming/action plans would be appreciated. Thanks!!
                    brainstorming give me headacehs so I just give ya the standards instead :-)
                    Have you set Performance Enhance tp standard?
                    Try more MCH Core, you may need up to 1.24/1.26v.
                    Instead of waiting for BSODs it is better to run stability tests.
                    memtest86+ for 5+ passes to begin with, then customized Prime95 blend toture. Start Prime95 select blend, select custom, set Min FFT to 128 and run for 8+ hours.
                    What is the memory voltage in BIOS HWMonitor?

Comment

My Memory Voltage is set to 2.0v in the BIOS (where is HW Monitor?). I ran Everest's System stress test for 15 minutes with no issues. When you say to run Memtest86+ for 5 passes, should I do it with both sticks in at the same time? I will try bumping the MCH Core to 1.24-1.26 and get Prime95 as well. I will keep you posted on the results!

Comment

PC Health Status, I thought DRAM Voltage was set auto.
                        Oh don't skip 1.22v.
                        Yes both sticks, if increasing voltage won't work than maybe test individual sticks.

Comment

Let us know how you get along with your testing

Comment

Working...
                          X