Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after almost a year, still no stable overclock (ex58-ud4p)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after almost a year, still no stable overclock (ex58-ud4p)

greetings all,

my ex58-ud4p was seemingly stable for quite a while OC'd to 3Ghz at bclk=150, 20x and memory at 8x (1200MHz).

after almost 80 days uptime, i had to reboot and my problems started up in earnest. the machine started to lock up on me after a few hours of runtime.

i went back to memtest86 and found that very occasionally i had a memory failure. i've got 12GB of corsair xms ram that's supposed to be good for 1333MHz; 9-9-9-24 is the published spec.

i fooled around with the memory multiplier, but in the end i decided that the only thing that worked was changing tRC from 24 to 30.

that seemed to work for a while, but then the lockups started again. i found a 64-bit capable version of memtest86 that i could run after booting my OS and i was still seeing some errors... so i then decided to back off again to 10-10-10-30 and memtest would pass, but the lockups persisted.

i ended up going back to the bios defaults and so far everything seems stable, so i think there's a problem with some of my overclock settings.

i'm on bios F8a. before i post all my settings and start tweaking again, should i upgrade to bios F10d? i've had bad experiences after upgrading/downgrading bios so i'm a little gun-shy.

this is the 4th or 5th homebuilt PC i've made and i've never had so much trouble with an overclock. i understand that the x58 chipset is very complicated, so this kind of stuff is to be expected... still its pretty frustrating.
    Power Supply: Corsair HX520W
    Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Chipset : Intel X58
    Processor : core i7 920 rev C0
    CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): Cooler Master N520
    Physical Memory :Corsair XMS 1333 (6x2GB)
    Video Card : Radeon HD2600 256MB
    DVD-Rom Drive : LG SATA BD/HD-DVD reader
    Operating System : some unix or other

Re: after almost a year, still no stable overclock (ex58-ud4p)

set ram volts to 1.66 use rated timings and speed,set qpi volts to 1.28000 set cpu voltage to normal see if you have better luck,if not set ram timings to auto and make a note of what bios sets them at,also upgrade to latest bios as it will have all the latest fixes
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the reply.

i'll have to go back and look at what i had, but i did definitely crank the ram voltage up above 1.6. can't remember about qpi. the bios set the memory to 8-8-8-<something> which seems like a bug since 9-9-9-24 is printed on the dimm. of course by default i think the bios had underclocked the memory, so perhaps 8-8-8-X would work.

i'm a little freaked out that the official bios on gigabytes website has a letter appended to it; i thought the letters were just for beta versions. the reason i was on f8a is that it was the first bios i found that sleep/wake would work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by joeblough View Post
        thanks for the reply.

i'll have to go back and look at what i had, but i did definitely crank the ram voltage up above 1.6. can't remember about qpi. the bios set the memory to 8-8-8-<SOMETHING> which seems like a bug since 9-9-9-24 is printed on the dimm. of course by default i think the bios had underclocked the memory, so perhaps 8-8-8-X would work.

i'm a little freaked out that the official bios on gigabytes website has a letter appended to it; i thought the letters were just for beta versions. the reason i was on f8a is that it was the first bios i found that sleep/wake would work properly.
        i have no issues using beta bios's its up 2 you but i would update to the latest one it should have the sleep fix too,also dont raise ram volts higher than 1.66 as its plenty and higher will cause damage in the long run 1.66 in the bios means 1.64 in actual voltage
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

well, that's interesting. i checked my qpi voltage in my overclock profile, and it was low, so i bumped it up.

i then booted up and started 8 threads of mprime. prior to this tweak after a sleep/wake cycle one mprime thread would always die, which i interpreted as the memory timing not being set right after a sleep/wake cycle. however, after fixing the qpi voltage this behavior stopped and mprime was running great after 5 sleep/wakes.

in all mprime was running for about 2 hours when i decided to fire up another program. at that point the system hung. i wonder if there is something wrong with my boot disk? it would be a shame because it's a 250GB velociraptor and it cost a chunk of change.

of course starting up a new program also beats up the memory a little bit but compared to what mprime is doing it doesnt seem like that much extra memory activity would kill things.

very strange...

Comment

Perhaps was more stable than before, but not stable enough.

Read the bios flashing sticky at the top of forum. Do not use @bios.

Mprime is the linux version? If using Prime95, failing a large fft test usually means problems on the ram side and failing small usually means problems around cpu.

Copy all settings before flashing, as profiles and settings will be lost. Set optimised defaults in bios and reboot into bios before changing any settings.

Enter settings manually rather than load saved to disk/usb profiles from an earlier bios.

To the best my memory...

CPU
            =
            i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
            Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
            - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
            Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
            , BIOS Version = Award FC
            Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
            Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
            Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
            PSU = Corsair HX850
            OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

well, that's interesting. i checked my qpi voltage in my overclock profile, and it was low, so i bumped it up.

i then booted up and started 8 threads of mprime. prior to this tweak after a sleep/wake cycle one mprime thread would always die, which i interpreted as the memory timing not being set right after a sleep/wake cycle. however, after fixing the qpi voltage this behavior stopped and mprime was running great after 5 sleep/wakes.

in all mprime was running for about 2 hours when i decided to fire up another program. at that point the system hung. i wonder if there is something wrong with my boot disk? it would be a shame because it's a 250GB velociraptor and it cost a chunk of change.

of course starting up a new program also beats up the memory a little bit but compared to what mprime is doing it doesnt seem like that much extra memory activity would kill things.

very strange...
              you might need a bit more qpi voltage to be stable dont go any higher than 1.3000 tho not for stock cpu speed
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

okay, tonight or tomorrow night i'm going to upgrade the bios and re-tune everything. when you say "stock cpu speed" what do you mean? i have bclk set to 150MHz and 20x so i'm at 3GHz, which is higher than stock speed.

salty - yes i am using the linux/unix mprime. i've been doing big ffts to concentrate on the memory. i should do some ffts that fit in cache just to see if the CPU might be the problem.

Comment

okay, tonight or tomorrow night i'm going to upgrade the bios and re-tune everything. when you say "stock cpu speed" what do you mean? i have bclk set to 150MHz and 20x so i'm at 3GHz, which is higher than stock speed.

salty - yes i am using the linux/unix mprime. i've been doing big ffts to concentrate on the memory. i should do some ffts that fit in cache just to see if the CPU might be the problem.
                  no qpi at 1.26000 should be fine for 3ghz its only on higher around 4ghz that you need more qpi voltage i was just making sure
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                  X