GA-MA785GM-US2H Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA785GM-US2H Problems

I'd just recently picked up a GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard from Newegg, along with a AMD|PH II X2 550 AM3 3.1G ( as a combo ). Installed everything, and have had a number of problems. I've been messing around with it for a while now, and have become pretty frustrated with it.

Whenever I start the computer up now, it crashes when Windows (Windows XP ) loads up. I can load it up in safemode though, with little problems ( the driver DVD freezes up after it starts, so I've had to hunt down the drivers from the gigabyte website) .

Another problem is with the memory (Patriot Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ) I'd bought with the board. Bios is showing it as 800, and not 1066. When I check the memory in safemode, it only shows 2.75 gigs, and not the 4.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do\check? Really needing this up and running by moday.

Re: GA-MA785GM-US2H Problems

First thing i suggest is to flash the bios. Previously i got same problem with gigabyte mobo. And i flashed it with same bios version from the gigabyte as it is latest bios. Once flashed it stopped these kind of problems.

But careful when flashing the bios. Read instructions given in this forum or on gigabyte site.

Comment

You can use all 4gb only if you are using 64bit OS

Comment

Originally posted by redex View Post
        You can use all 4gb only if you are using 64bit OS
        Oh, really? So I'm capped at 2.75 until I update to a 64bit OS? Or could I add two more chips to boost me over 4 gigs?

And, is there any reason for that? Is it my mobo, or the RAM itself thats causing that. I'm only asking because a roommate is using 32 bit XP with 4 gigs memory with no problems. ( He has a different system set-up though. 2.9 quadcore, while I'm using a 3.1 dualcore. )

Originally posted by gouri.in View Post
        First thing i suggest is to flash the bios. Previously i got same problem with gigabyte mobo. And i flashed it with same bios version from the gigabyte as it is latest bios. Once flashed it stopped these kind of problems.

But careful when flashing the bios. Read instructions given in this forum or on gigabyte site.
        Thanks, I'm going to look into this now. Flashing the BIOS makes me a bit nervous though, since I've never had to do it before, and I've read it can be less then safe.
        Last edited by Sharlow; 10-03-2009, 04:11 PM.

Comment

When you say it only shows 2.75 GB you are checking in the wrong place. Go to Start /all programs/Accessories/system tools/system information. It will show total physical memory of 4GB's there. The other place you are looking just shows available memory.
          Be sure you go into bios and set the ddr2 voltage to the memory manufactures specifications. This has to be done manually. Do not allow bios to set memory voltage on auto. 1.9v is not enough.
          Code:
          MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
          } Advanced Clock Calibration (Note 1) [Press Enter]
          } DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
          HT Link Frequency [Auto]
          VGA Core Clock control [Disabled]
          x VGA Core Clock(MHz) 500
          EPP Mode (Note 2) [Disabled]
          x EPP Voltage Control (Note 2) Normal
          CPU Clock Ratio [Auto]
          CPU NorthBridge Freq. (Note 1) [Auto]
          CPU Host Clock Control [Auto]
          x CPU Frequency(MHz) 200
          PCIE Clock(MHz) [Auto]
          Set Memory Clock [Auto]
          x Memory Clock x4.00 800Mhz
          DCTs Mode [Unganged]
          ******** System Voltage Optimized ********
          System Voltage Control [Auto] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Manual[/COLOR]
          x DDR2 Voltage Control Auto [COLOR="darkred"]Manual[/COLOR]
          x NorthBridge Volt Control Auto
          Last edited by artdrivers; 10-03-2009, 04:38 PM.
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
          Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
          Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
          Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
          4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
          (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
          (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
          (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
          Mid size ATX case with show through panel
          2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
          Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
          Logitech G500 USB mouse
          Monitor: CMV937A
          7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
          Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
            When you say it only shows 2.75 GB you are checking in the wrong place. Go to Start /all programs/Accessories/system tools/system information. It will show total physical memory of 4GB's there. The other place you are looking just shows available memory.
            Be sure you go into bios and set the ddr2 voltage to the memory manufactures specifications. This has to be done manually. Do not allow bios to set memory voltage on auto. 1.9v is not enough.
            Code:
            MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
            } Advanced Clock Calibration (Note 1) [Press Enter]
            } DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
            HT Link Frequency [Auto]
            VGA Core Clock control [Disabled]
            x VGA Core Clock(MHz) 500
            EPP Mode (Note 2) [Disabled]
            x EPP Voltage Control (Note 2) Normal
            CPU Clock Ratio [Auto]
            CPU NorthBridge Freq. (Note 1) [Auto]
            CPU Host Clock Control [Auto]
            x CPU Frequency(MHz) 200
            PCIE Clock(MHz) [Auto]
            Set Memory Clock [Auto]
            x Memory Clock x4.00 800Mhz
            DCTs Mode [Unganged]
            ******** System Voltage Optimized ********
            System Voltage Control [Auto] [COLOR=DarkRed]Manual[/COLOR]
            x DDR2 Voltage Control Auto [COLOR=darkred]Manual[/COLOR]
            x NorthBridge Volt Control Auto

Done and done, with the exception of " EPP Mode (Note 2) [Disabled]
            x EPP Voltage Control (Note 2) Normal ". Those are not listed under my BIOS.

Also! You listed x Memory Clock x4.00 800Mhz. Does that mean I'm stuck at 800, or can I clock it to the proper 1066, and then up the voltage to the 2.1v the manufacture lists as proper?

Also also! Thank you so much for the help. Feels good to know I'm getting somewhere with this. Sorry about all the questions, it's been more then a few years since I've done this, and it seems the tech has run away from me.

Comment

You should be good at 1066Mhz try it and see. Yes set it to +3 @2.1v @1066 Try running Memtest86+v2.11. Then try a stress test. I like prime95 blend. If it fails you may want to down it to [email protected]. Here are some programs you may want to try. http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/
              If you flash your bios use QFlash. DO NOT USE @BIOS Please read this first and use it. ---> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
              Let me know how this goes and I can help you with some more, but first things first.
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

You should be good at 1066Mhz try it and see. Yes set it to +3 @2.1v @1066 Try running Memtest86+v2.11. Then try a stress test. I like prime95 blend. If it fails you may want to down it to [email protected]. Here are some programs you may want to try. http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/
                If you flash your bios use QFlash. DO NOT USE @BIOS Please read this first and use it. ---> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
                Let me know how this goes and I can help you with some more, but first things first.
                Alright, ran the Prime95 Memtest86+v2.11 blend test. failed at 1066 @2.1v ( +3 ). Reset it to 800 @1.9v (+1) and the test ran fine.

Reading the thread on Qflash now.

Comment

Alright, I've read a good bit of the Flashing thread. Is that what I should look into doing next? Sort of worries me a bit.

Comment

It's a very simple thing to do with QFLASH scroll down on this site to download the latest bios at----> GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0)
                    Download the F4 bios After you save it to a folder of your choice click run then extract it to a floppy or small USB drive as long as it is formatted with the fat file system. I just formatted a floppy and used it. Some people don't have a floppy and prefer to use a USB flash drive. Eather way you can get into the QFlash utility by pressing End on your keyboard at boot or go into your bios and select the F8 key.
                    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Alright, I've flashed the BIOS with the F4 version, and then set everything up to what you'd recommended before. Still crashing when Windows starts though, unless I boot in Safemode.

Flashing was a lot simpler then I'd thought though. Woo!

Comment

Download memtest86 v2.11 burn it as an iso file to a cd and boot to it. This will test that memory. I believe you may have a issue with the memory @1066Mhz. Then test it at 800Mhz. Be sure to change voltage at manufacturers speifications 1.9v@800Mhz and 2.1v@1066Mhz. If it passes at 800Mhz but not at 1066Mhz you are left with a decision to make. You may want to set it to 800Mhz. I personally would settle for the 800Mhz. It's not that much different in performace. You may want to contact the memory manufacturer and RMA it for replacement. They are selling it as 1066Mhz RAM. Then it should work at 1066Mhz. Your motherboard and cpu support 1066Mhz. It's up to you and the memory manufacturer. But this is a hunch please first test it.
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Download memtest86 v2.11 burn it as an iso file to a cd and boot to it. This will test that memory. I believe you may have a issue with the memory @1066Mhz. Then test it at 800Mhz. Be sure to change voltage at manufacturers speifications 1.9v@800Mhz and 2.1v@1066Mhz. If it passes at 800Mhz but not at 1066Mhz you are left with a decision to make. You may want to set it to 800Mhz. I personally would settle for the 800Mhz. It's not that much different in performace. You may want to contact the memory manufacturer and RMA it for replacement. They are selling it as 1066Mhz RAM. Then it should work at 1066Mhz. Your motherboard and cpu support 1066Mhz. It's up to you and the memory manufacturer. But this is a hunch please first test it.

Roger, I'll do that now. I have no problems running the memory at 800 though, as long as I can use the PC.

Comment

Burned it onto CD as an ISO using MagicIso, but it won't run as a bootable item. Any suggestions?

Comment

MagicISO give me trouble too. I use ISO Recorder v2 After you download a iso file and save it all you need to do is right click on the iso file and select "copy image to cd" with ISO Recorder version2. Here is the web page for it. Download the version for your OS.
                              ISO Recorder v 2
                              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                              Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X