Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-p35c-ds3r rev 2.1 memory problem

Hi Folks

I have just recently found this forum and it is fantastic the amount of info that is provided. Though, I have to admit, some info is not so great as I am finding out stuff that's giving me nightmares.

Basically, I was running my board quite happily with 4 gig of "elixir m2y1g64tu8hb0b-3c" memory then I started getting problems. After memtest86ing each stick I found out that 3 of them were screwed. Due to my current poverty stricken ways I asked around some mates and colleagues to see if I could get some cheap memory.

Result (I thought). I managed to get 4*1 gig crucial ballistix bl12864aa1065 real cheap. Well, I'm sure you can guess the rest. I have had nothing but crashes and lockups since.

I read loads and realise I need to get some different memory but thats not possible for a while. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get this memory running so it doesn't crash every 10 minutes.

I'm running the f12 bios.

Please help. Thanks.

Re: ga-p35c-ds3r rev 2.1 memory problem

Please post a screen capture of MemSet main and spd(click spd) windows. You can find MemSet in http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762
    What have you tried so far that didn't work?
    Please post your current BIOS settings using the template in this post ignore the values, it's just a template, replace them with your own.
    Filling your forum signature with your system specs will also be of a help.

Comment

I have the GA-P35-DS3L running 4 1gig sticks of Ballistix ........AA804. There were a couple of different runs of this memory. Some of it ran at 2.2v and some at 2.0. I'd check my voltages first before I freaked out.
      I will also add that over clocking and not over clocking these particular boards creates a lot of heat on the north branch heat sink. Try attaching a 40mm fan to it for cooling. Too much heat will hurt here.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I only have one of the sticks installed at the moment as my machine seems to run okay with the one. Here are the settings that were requested:

CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E6400 2.13GHz
        Motherboard = GA-P35C-DS3R rev 2.1
        BIOS Version =F12
        Ram = Crucial Ballistix BL12864AA1065.8FE5

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        Fine Clock Ratio ____________n/a
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]
        Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________18
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3
        Rank Write to READ Delay________3
        Write to Precharge Delay_________6
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________52
        Read to Precharge Delay__________3
        Static tRead Value_______________4
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [n/a]
        CPU Clock Skew Control [n/a]
        GMCH Clock Skew Control [n/a]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [normal]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
        C2/C2E State Support....................: [n/a]
        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [n/a]
        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
        Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
        Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

The sticks are labelled as running at 2.2 but when I added 0.3 to the ddr voltage and changed settings to 5-5-5-15 my machine went into an reboot cycle then stopped posting.

Thanks again. Let me know if you need anything else.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is this setting correct: DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]
          Are all the memory timings on auto(or dimmed) as well?

Check in BIOS or ET6 HWMonitor what is the auto applied DRAM voltage.
          You can try and stabilioze the ram at 1066 and if it doesn't work back to DDR-800 with tighter timings, which have no significant impact on performance, if at all at 266FSB.

What are the steps for MCH OverVoltage for this board?

Comment

The Dram setting is at auto at the moment. I reset to defaults after the last crash and reboot cycle as I was getting worried about something getting fried.

The memory timings are dimmed so I assume that means they are on auto.

The current voltage is sitting at 2.256 V which is a bit higher than recommended but doesnt seem to cause problems when I use one stick.

The MCH steps up at 0.1 intervals.

Comment

Set lower DRAM Voltage so HWMonitor shows 2.2v or lower, set MCH OverVoltage +0.1 save & reboot, shut the computer down and try to install the secong stick of the pair. You can then test it like that or try to install the other pair of sticks. If the 2 work and 4 do not, try setting multiplier to 3.00A for DDR-800 and try again.

It is recommended to run several loops of memtest86+ before you attempt to boot into windows. Memory problems may lead to file system corruption.

Comment

OK. I set Dram voltage to + 0.3 which brought voltage to 2.1. Also added 0.1 to MCH value. When I tested this with the 2 sticks I got errors quite soon so I adjusted multiplier to 3.00 for 800. Unfortunately still got errors but then I adjusted the timings to 5-5-5-15 and it tested ok.

WOO-HOO. So I have got 2 sticks working. I am worried about trying 4 though as this was where the serious problems started. Should I make any further changes before I start testing. Thanks.

Comment

Have you tested each of the sticks you have now individually with memtest86+? No point trying them all if one of them is faulty.

If the four do not work try 5-5-5-18 timings, then maybe +0.2 MCH.
                  See if you can lower the DRAM Voltage since you at DDR-800 with loosened timings, maybe they don't like the high voltage, even though it is what is specified for them.

Comment

With my P35-DS3L, I'm running 4 sticks of Ballistix PC2-800 memory (2x1GB plus 2x512MB) with DRAM Voltage = +0.40 for 2.20 volt settings. Ignore the flashing red voltage at this setting.
                    I've never had any problems, even when running with 4x1GB.
                    I've been able to o/c this memory up to 1200Mz stable with some bios settings.
                    Currently I'm running a 75% o/c with my E2140 at 2.8GHz and memory at 875MHz with 4-4-4-10 primary timings and Static tRead Value (tRD) = 5.
                    As I recall, MCH Core voltage is set to +0.10
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I tested the 4*1 GB setup at 5-5-5-18 with +0.2 V on the DDR2 and +0.2 on MCH with 800 Mhz. Unfortunately this turned up one error so I will need to go through and test each stick at this setting to see if I can isolate the problem.

Is it possible that you can test each stick and get no errors but get error when using all 4 together?

Comment

Originally posted by murcherson View Post
                        Is it possible that you can test each stick and get no errors but get error when using all 4 together?
                        Yes, but if all ram proved to be good and both channels are ok with 2 sticks then it may be possible to fix with some more tweaking.

Comment

OK. I have tested each stick individually and they were ok. I then tested both pairs in both channels and that was fine (I had one error but I couldn't reproduce it and believe that this may have been due to the bios being reset at some point).

I have done a quick test on 4 and it passed the test it was failing on before. This is using the settings I have mentioned previous post. I am a bit confused really.

I want to leave testing on overnight to test properly. Is it ok to do this?

Comment

Can't tell why you had error and now now. Errors that result from incorrect setting may accure at random, or it may be that reseating the ram solved some problem.
                            You can leave it overnight shouldn't be a problem. The longer you test higher is the confident in the results.
                            If it fail, try +0.3 DDR OverVoltage, 2.1 is still within memory spec.
                            If it pass you may want to run a more stressful memory test such as Prime95 or ORTHOS blend, or customized blend, that may find problems memtest86+ is not designed to find.

Comment

After leaving the testing on for all night I found that I had got 1 error on 2 passes. So it appears that the memory is failing but not on every pass (it had ran for 7 passes). It was the same block that failed on each pass. I am quite happy with the way my pc is performing as this memory appears to be running a fair bit faster than the elixir stuff I had previously.

Am I ok just to leave my system as it is with the occasional error or should I really try and get it to the point where there are no errors. What is the worst that could happen if I leave it with this occasional error. What should I look at changing if I want to try and get rid of this error? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X