Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty PSU?

Hi guys,

I think I know what the problem is, but just wanted to get your thoughts first. My old computer died and just stopped working and I thought it was the motherboard. I bought all new components i7 920, Gigabyte EX58 UD5, Corsair Dominator 6GB and decided to use my old 700W OCZ power supply.

When I installed everything the computer first booted up into Windows XP and then suddenly shut off. Now it tries to go into boot, but nothing shows up on screen, then it shuts off. A second time I am able to boot up and it goes into Windows and then after 5 mins it shuts down again.

I have successfully just gone into the BIOS setting where it seems to stay on.

I'm thinking the PSU has gone bad, it's about 4 years old, but I still thought was in good condition.

Any thoughts, before I pluck down some dough on a new PSU?

Re: Faulty PSU?

Don't want to jump to conclusions but you mention problems booting to Windows rather than issues installing Windows. Are you trying to use an old Windows installation on a new computer?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Hey PD,

Actually yes, I am using the same installation of Windows XP that I made on my previous hardware setup. However, I can barely even boot into it. I have been reading the forums and have that symptom where all the system lights on the MB go on for a few seconds then shut off...Then they go back on again and sometimes I can get to the boot screen.

I am waiting for Windows 7, full release, to do a fresh install...Which is why I'm being lazy about installing a clean slipstream install of XP...

I guess I should have just bought a multimeter...Would have answered a lot of questions...

Comment

XP does not tolerate that much hardware change very well, especially a whole new chipset.
        I really don't think your problem is hardware at all.
        i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
        Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
        3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
        2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
        Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
        G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
        Corsair HX850 PSU
        Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

you wont be able to use old xp on a diff setup due to different mb drivers ect,best to install win7 beta free edition just to make sure all your hardware's working,then do a clean instal of whatever os you want
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What they said ^. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing then you are not going to get Windows XP to boot and run properly without reinstalling it and installing the correct drivers. As Windows starts it loads drivers for the motherboard, videocard, etc. that are installed in the operating system. Obviously it is not happy with the old drivers and the new hardware combination.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Hahaha...Yeah I definitely agree...It did at first complain that too much hardware had changed and that I would need to re-activate windows...The reason why I'm thinking its more than hardware is because of the aforementioned boot sequence...When I disconnect the HD so it can only boot into the BIOS all I get is a blank screen sometimes...And sometimes it does that funny all lights on routine on the MB, then shut off...

Originally posted by genec57 View Post
              XP does not tolerate that much hardware change very well, especially a whole new chipset.
              I really don't think your problem is hardware at all.

Comment

Thanks for the advice...I actually will be getting my new PSU tomorrow, so we shall see if I can salvage something and swap out the drivers for the hardware...If not...Then I guess I gotta order some more hardware...I.E. Hard drive...lol...

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
                What they said ^. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing then you are not going to get Windows XP to boot and run properly without reinstalling it and installing the correct drivers. As Windows starts it loads drivers for the motherboard, videocard, etc. that are installed in the operating system. Obviously it is not happy with the old drivers and the new hardware combination.

Comment

Will be getting the power supply today...Will see if that changes anything...I will then attempt a Windows XP Repair install so that appropriate drivers can get installed...I created a slipstream copy of XP with SP2...Will provide with an update on how it goes...

Another issue I have is that the CD drive won't power up or open when connected to the PSU...I originally thought this was due to the older MB crapping out on me, but I now think it really is a bad PSU...Or maybe I've got a dead CD drive...Oh joy...

Comment

Hi everyone,

So the final update was that the new power supply solved 90% of my problems...I went with the HX 850 from Corsair...A nice little unit, but I also thought the same about the OCZ GamerXtreme 700 that it is replacing. I even bought a multimeter to check the rails of the old power supply and some of the lines were operating under normal voltage requirements, but under load is when the shyt hit the fan....

Anyway...I could have salvaged my old computer had I known it was just the power supply again...Who knew...

So after a repair of win xp and installing some MB drivers everything sorta works again...It occasionally randomly reboots, but I chalk that up to not having a clean install of win xp. I have to tell XP to stop auto-rebooting and check the log files...

Anyway...The new HD is on the way so once the retail version of Win 7 comes out I will be installing that...

Thanks for the help! I'll post a pic of my new rig tonight...

Comment

Working...
                    X