Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P55-UD4p Problem! Phase LED's

Hi All,

I just finished my socket 1156 build. I've got 4 phase LED's lighted on the board and it won't post. There are 4 total lights, from bottom to top it is green, green, yellow, red. The manual say these indicate CPU loading but not much else. Obviously red is bad because she won't even POST. I would rather not hear my CPU is toast.

Any help would be appreciated.

-GA-P55-UD4P mobo
    -Intel i7 860
    -4gb (2x2gb) Corsair XMS ddr3 rated at 1600Mhz at 1.65v
    -Zalman cnps10x heatsink/fan
    -Coolermaster 700w Silent Pro psu
    -xfx 4890
    -2 7200rpm HDD's

Re: P55-UD4p Problem! Phase LED's

That can be normal, they always remain lit in full when you are in the BIOS. Can you please try to clear your CMOS, method is posted here in post # 2 >>>

Then if you do not have any luck, can you please connect a case speaker and tell me the beeps you hear or send me a recording.

You did check to be sure there was not any bent pins in the CPU Socket correct? Just asking, do not look now if you are unsure, if we have to you can do that later on.

Sorry, have to ask, you do have the ATX 12V 8 pin and the ATX 12V 24 pin connected to the board correct?

Do you have a older/different PSU to test with? I ask because several Zalman models have issue with X58 and this may apply to P55 as well, not sure yet as not many have moved to P55 and posted here yet

Comment

Thx for the reply,

Both 8pin and 24 pin atx power cables are connected. Tried another PSU just now, same issue.

To clarify, the Zalman is the CPU heatsink, the Cooler Master 700w is the PSU.

I've tried clearing cmos using the jumper and removing the battery--no fix

As for post beeps, I have no idea where the speaker connection is or if I have something compatible should I locate it on the mobo. It would be nice if the mobo had a 35 cent speaker for these purposes, the beeps will not be audible from my creative sound card and speakers correct?

Tried 1 and then the other DIMMS sperately and still same phase LED's. Without POST I really can't diagnose the issue.

I forgot to mention, this is the second mobo, the first was RMA'd after it died during a prime95 run. No crazy OC either, it was at 3.16 with turbo on, 1.34v before droop. I'm wondering if the CPU is borked. I thought these chips shutdown when tj max was reached. It's hard for me to believe the chip died from P95 running the cores at ~55-68c.

Sigh...my P35-ds3l and E8400 @ 4ghz was such a problem free rig.

Comment

Ohh sorry about the Zalman confusion on my part, looks like I glanced back up at that wrong!

The connection for a case speaker is on the same block as the HD led and Case power switch. Yes you will need a small speaker, you wont hear it thru your main speakers. If you have a old system collecting dust somewhere there is likely a speaker in it

Ya they should shut down or throttle once tjmax is reached so likely not the issue. I would not think this is the issue, but since your other board died in a prime95 run you can never be sure without testing it in a known working PC

So you know this ram works in the board since you had been using it previously, that is good to know

How long did you clear the CMOS? Sometimes it takes a long time and other times not. I would do it again, but disconnect the PSU From the wall and press and hold the case power button for one minute before putting on the jumper. Leave the battery in this time as well.

Case speaker would help a lot if you can find one

Out of curiosity on your board you RMA'd did you look in the socket? Was there melted pins?

Comment

Hmmm. Well, the issue seems to have resolved itself. I didn't do anything different and I've booted to windows now. Temps are good. What is the TJ max on these new i7's? 100c? Is the new beta bios any good (F4P)?

The gods have smiled upon me it seems.

Edit: nope, no melted or pent pins on the RMA. I think i just got a dud. I've always had good luck with Gigabyte but sometimes you get a lemon, such is life in the power user world. Time to test for stability, etc, etc

Thanks LSD-25, for your support.
          Last edited by blownapart; 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

What!!!

I am not sure about tjmax for those, don't know if Intel has published yet or not. Have you googled around any yet?

I do suggest the latest Beta BIOS, with these boards so new it will likely be a while before any of the final versions offer any stability without issues

*edit*

Thanks, Just wondered about this pins because of this thread >>
            Just a heads up for anyone running the UD6 board: both SF3D and me have had an situation where the socket seems to be burned. My combo is still alive, but SF3D's might be dead. I'm not pointing fingers or trying to make anyone look bad. Just a heads up; this might be an unfortunate coincidence. http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/Massman-/ud6/l.jpg http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/Massman-/ud6/lo.jpg http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/Massman-/ud6/o.jpg

Nice to see you got it all going now!! I'll take some of that if you have any to spare

Comment

Lol, no L25 but I have some other goodies to help me out. I'll flash bios now. I can keep you all posted on performance of this rig, it being spanking new tech and all...

New 5870 looks quite nice, prolly grab one in a couple months.

Comment

Damn, well please share!

Glad to hear all is now working for you!!

I plan to grab a few 4870's myself now that 5870 is out, makes for nice prices!

Comment

This thread came up when I was searching for the same problem (although regarding the GA-P55A-UD3). I tried just about everything but couldn't get it to boot. It just looped liked described earlier. Embarrassingly enough :) my problem was that I had not connected the ATX 12 2x4 power connector, only the regular ATX. So if anyone stumbles upon this thread in a search, make sure you have connected all the power cables. It's one 2x4 12V connector and one 2x12 Main Power connector. (The latter one might be split in two connectors).

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Yes, I often feel bad when I have to ask users if they connected the 8 pin and 24 pin cable to the motherboard, but it does happen from time to time so don't feel too bad :)

Glad to see you got things going though, post back anytime if you need more help with anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X