Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtek ALC889A 24-bit Line-in ADC not available

Hello Janus,

Looking for some help regarding my onboard Realtek ALC889A.

I would like to use the analog line-in rear panel input to do 24-bit audio capture and Analog-Digital Conversion. However, using the Gigabyte Realtek panel, I can only find the 16-bit settings listed as options. Please tell me how to find/activate the 24-bit input settings. By the way, the digital-out and speaker-out provides 24-bit selections in the drop-down.

I have attached a screen shot of the drop-down menu showing all 16-bit selections but no 24-bit.

The user's manual says that 24-bit ADC is supported. I am using the latest driver 6.0.1.5936 dated 9/11/09.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Sound: Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    CPU: Intel 9450 (not o/c'ed)
    RAM: 4GB OCZ
    Video: ATI 4850
    PSU: Antec 550W
    HDD: IBM Deskstar 750GB

Thanks, DM
    Attached Files

Re: Realtek ALC889A 24-bit Line-in ADC not available

Is the device you have connected is 24bit?

If so, try these drivers >>
    Realtek

Sorry, I am not much of a sound guy myself so not sure what to suggest. I can say I looked through the manual and do not see anything mentioned about 24 bit, of course that may just be because I do not know what to look for though?

I do believe though your input device must be 24 bit too of course. The 24 bit you are seeing noted may only apply to output, did it say either way?

Again I am no sound guru, but looks to me like 24 bit is mentioned for playback here and not input >>

Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 sound playback
    Realtek

If you want I can copy your post over to the Audio section of the forum as well, that way it wont get buried and maybe someone who knows better can offer you some proper advice. If you want me to let me know

Comment

The analog line-in is not required to be a 24-bit digital device.

I am trying to do a 24-bit vinyl LP rip. To do that, I've plugged the analog turntable output into the computer back panel line-in jack, to make an audio capture in 24-bit digital (.wav) PCM format. I will use Audacity software to process the 24-bit digital audio capture file. This requires 24-bit ADC (Analog-Digital Conversion) functionality in the hardware and driver.

The Realtek ALC-889a hardware specification from their website says:
      Three stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, multiple stereo recording

I am using the 2-channel stereo recording from analog turntable. So 24-bit audio capture should be possible.

I downloaded and installed the latest Realek driver version from the link you provided. I think there is a basic driver funtionality issue here? Or have I overlooked something?

If there is a basic driver funtionality issue, I'm not sure if the audio forum can provide the answer?

Best regards, DM
      Attached Files

Comment

I know this isn't what you're looking for... but onboard audio DAC's (like this Realtek) are really just for basic audio functionality, and not really for anything "advanced" - like a 24-bit audio capture from vinyl. It's been 5 years since my last motherboard (which also had a Realtek DAC) and nothing has really changed IMHO!

It sounds like you're someone who's really into their hi-fi (so am I!). I'm planning on eventually getting an add-on sound card, and perhaps you should also do the same. Something like the Asus Xonar D2 or D2X series should be perfect for what you want to do. Hell, even the ancient (and crappy) SB Audigy 2 ZS will do what you want to do.

Comment

Thanks for your advice! I'm rapidly reaching the same conclusion!
          Best regards, DM

Comment

Well if you are sure recording should also be 24bit and not just playback as I mentioned then you are right.

Maybe you do need to use digital input to get 24bit to show up? I think before you decide to buy a sound card you should for sure write an email to RealTek and see if they can offer you advice. I do see the reply to help normally pretty fast.

Here is their email >>
            Realtek

I will copy your post to the Audio section as well now, in case someone else can tell you more while you wait on a reply from Realtek

* Your Thread is now also posted here *
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I got an answer on my issue from Realtek e-mail support, after analyzing the dump file from my computer and running diagnostics.

"I'm sorry . We do not support 24bits for recording device since it had some software limitation .

Maybe you can try to use Microsoft native HD Audio driver to do this ."

Although the Realtek website says that the ALC-889a chip supports 24-bit ADC, apparantly the driver software does not.

Comment

Working...
              X