Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EX38-DS4 - OCZ Titanium 1150MHz - Can't set it right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DS4 - OCZ Titanium 1150MHz - Can't set it right!

Hi all.

I have a new memory that I want to set it right and I can't seem to understand the Gigabyte x38-ds4 bios.

This is what I have: OCZ Titanium DDR2 2X2GB @ 2.15v
    CAS/RAS: 5 5 5 18

Intel E8500 @ 3.16Ghz (not OC).
    Multiplier: 9.5 (Stock)
    Bus Speed: 333.3Mhz (default)
    Rated FSB: 1333.3MHz (default)

MB:

Mem:

and the BIOS (not my settings):

I don't understand this MCH strapping.

My mem can work at 1150MHZ but even at 1111MHZ it is not stable. I managed to play and work with the computer but today the OS didn't load and I guess it's because of the mem. So I messed up with this MCH thing to get 3.33C which gives me 1066MHZ which is also fine by me but I don't believe that my system is stable...

How should I set the speed correctly? Can it get to 1200 or to 1150 as OCZ states?

I have C1E and EIST enabled.

Thanks!

Re: EX38-DS4 - OCZ Titanium 1150MHz - Can't set it right!

Disable C1E and EIST for sure at 500+ FSB

You are also going to have to use 555-15 or 555-18 for timings, 444-12 is NOT going to work anywhere near 1000Mhz

I suggest you try the B and or D multipliers, at 500+ FSB your NB is not going to like A or C multi's most likely

You will need to set your own ram voltage to spec, and set MCH to 1.20-1.26 likely as well.

I am confused by your post so I will wait on your response before advising with full settings. I am confused because you say no OC / Stock CPU, but you are showing 500+ FSB in your BIOS.

If you are just wanting to use 333 FSB, you will need to make the above mentioned changes and then set Memory Multiplier to 3.33D for 1108Mhz. To get higher than that you will need to adjust your CPU

Comment

The numbers don't add up. What FSB do you use with the 3.33C multiplier? 3.33 x 333 = 1109 not 1066.
      Please post the settings you try and fail using the template in this post. Ignore the values in it, just replace them with your own settings and post them back.
      Having your system specs including memory part number in your signature is also helpful.

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply but you got it wrong. The BIOS screenshot is not mine, I just posted it as reference. My settings are described above the screenshots.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Disable C1E and EIST for sure at 500+ FSB

You are also going to have to use 555-15 or 555-18 for timings, 444-12 is NOT going to work anywhere near 1000Mhz

I suggest you try the B and or D multipliers, at 500+ FSB your NB is not going to like A or C multi's most likely

You will need to set your own ram voltage to spec, and set MCH to 1.20-1.26 likely as well.

I am confused by your post so I will wait on your response before advising with full settings. I am confused because you say no OC / Stock CPU, but you are showing 500+ FSB in your BIOS.

If you are just wanting to use 333 FSB, you will need to make the above mentioned changes and then set Memory Multiplier to 3.33D for 1108Mhz. To get higher than that you will need to adjust your CPU

Comment

Originally posted by Gil80 View Post
          Hi thanks for the reply but you got it wrong. The BIOS screenshot is not mine, I just posted it as reference. My settings are described above the screenshots.
          Aha so you managed to confuse us... one brownie point for you.
          So it must have been 3.20B multiplier you were using.

EDIT: BTW In the link you posted to the ram voltage spec is 2.2v with 2.25v EVP, what's on the sticker?
          Last edited by Chike; 09-17-2009, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry for the confusion, my settings are stated above the screenshots, the BIOS screenshot is just for reference and I found it on google.

Currently I'm operating on the following settings:
            E8500
            Core Speed: 3.16GHz
            Multiplier: 9.5
            Bus Speed: 333MHz
            Rated FSB: 1333MHz

Dual 2X2GB OCZ Titanium DDR2 1150MHZ
            DC mode: Symmetric
            DRAM: 533.3MHz
            FSB:DRAM: 5:8
            CAS/RAS: 5 5 5 18
            tRFC: 72
            CR: 2T

Originally posted by Chike View Post
            The numbers don't add up. What FSB do you use with the 3.33C multiplier? 3.33 x 333 = 1109 not 1066.
            Please post the settings you try and fail using the template in this post. Ignore the values in it, just replace them with your own settings and post them back.
            Having your system specs including memory part number in your signature is also helpful.

Comment

Voltages etc.? Please use the template for the full settings.

Comment

Ok, then!

Please try the suggestions I made concerning voltages and your memory multiplier for 333 FSB using 3.33D memory multiplier and then and you should be good to go.

If not, you will need to provide us with your full exact settings using a template from the link in my signature

Comment

Chike: On my mem it says 2.2volt.

Lsdmeasap: We have a problem :)

I don't have 3.33D I only have 3.20B (the closest setting) and currently running at 1066MHZ instead of 1150MHZ or OC to 1200MHz.

In addition, I don't know where is the MCH voltage reading in order to know how much should I set it to.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                  CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                  Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                  CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
                  CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
                  C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                  System Memory Multiplier (SPD) (800Mhz) [3.20]
                  DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time____5____________
                  Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay__5_______
                  Dram RAS# Precharge Delay__5_____
                  Precharge Delay (tRAS)______18____

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________
                  Rank Write to READ Delay________
                  Write to Precharge Delay_________
                  Refresh to ACT Delay______________
                  Read to Precharge Delay__________
                  Static tRead Value_______________
                  Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                  CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                  GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                  DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                  PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
                  FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
                  (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
                  CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                  No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                  C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                  x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                  Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Strange, did it set it to 2.2v by itself? Could you post MemSet spd(click spd) window screen capture?
                    Unfortunately the 3.2 multiplier is the highest for DDR2 for FSB333, so to run it as DDR-1150 you'd have to overclock it to FSB rate that will allow with a compatible multiplier to run it at 1150.
                    Alternatively you can run it at lower speed with tighter timings, as DDR-920 for example it should be able to run with 4-4-4-15 timings without a problem.
                    A moderate overclock with FSB360 with 3.2 multiplier is another option, leaving CPU on 3GHz with 8.5 CPU Ratio or overclock it too to 3.4GHz with 9.5 CPU Ratio

Comment

It seems that it's a lot of trouble to go through. From 1066 to 1150 I won't get much anyway.... maybe 1%~3% improvement.
                      I set the voltage by myself. to 2.15v (added 0.3v by manual control).

What is it you say about OC the CPU to 3.4GHz?
                      I have Zalman 9600 cooling.... I think if I want to get the maximum from my RAM than I'll go all the way.

Any of the other options you mentioned are better?
                      Like having tighter CAS/RAS will yield more then having it from 1066 to 1150/1200?

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                      Strange, did it set it to 2.2v by itself? Could you post MemSet spd(click spd) window screen capture?
                      Unfortunately the 3.2 multiplier is the highest for DDR2 for FSB333, so to run it as DDR-1150 you'd have to overclock it to FSB rate that will allow with a compatible multiplier to run it at 1150.
                      Alternatively you can run it at lower speed with tighter timings, as DDR-920 for example it should be able to run with 4-4-4-15 timings without a problem.
                      A moderate overclock with FSB360 with 3.2 multiplier is another option, leaving CPU on 3GHz with 8.5 CPU Ratio or overclock it too to 3.4GHz with 9.5 CPU Ratio

Comment

No not much difference if at all between 1066 and 1150, not at 333 FSB anyway.
                        Higher FSB will give greater memory performance gain than just higher DDR-rate or better timings will ever give.
                        With my DDR-800 I get almost 1GB/s more with 400 FSB than with 333 FSB, and lower latency.

Ignore the DDR-600 (1200) it's wrong, they are both DDR-400 (800)

I don't know your board but it looks like it's built for speed, and the E8500 is a good OCer.
                        Couldn't find no Zalman 9600 (there are 9300 9500 9700 9800 and 9900 but no 9600) but it would probably hold a minor or moderate OC.
                        It's a bit of work but if you are a gamer it'll give you extra kick. Video encoding can also benefit.

Comment

I would love the assistance for having this higher FSB rate as you mentioned. I'm up for a bit of OC work if you can assist me.

That's my Zalman 9600 cnpu

Comment

Originally posted by Gil80 View Post
                            I would love the assistance for having this higher FSB rate as you mentioned. I'm up for a bit of OC work if you can assist me.
                            As I am not familar with your board I'd leave that to whose who are.
                            Meanwhile can also read http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...g-guide-26112/

Originally posted by Gil80
                            This is a CNPS9500 picture, I think it would do for at least moderate OC.

Comment

Yes, the above linked guide is a GREAT Resource and was written with your board in mind and covers each BIOS setting in depth.

If you need more help with settings you try, please post your settings here in full that fail for you and I can advise back

Ohh, 3.20B is fine to use. I forgot your board does not have the 400 straps in it

You would just need to bump your FSB a bit more (345) than stock to get the same speeds for your memory as you would if you used 3.33

Comment

Working...
                              X