EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

Been so long I forgot what the difference is between the yellow and orange SATA connectors. I am not doing RAID but installing 2-3 hdd's and 1 SATA optical drive. I would like to know why there are two different sets of SATA connectors, yellow and orange, and if AHCI should be enabled. My MB is the EX38-DS4 with F3 Bios. I am now using Vista Ultimate 64-bit but will be going to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Thanks!

Re: EX38-DS4 SATA HDD installation question

No one? The manual states to prepare a CD start up disk for the process of installing driver for AHCI. How can I make that start up disk? Also, please, someone, explain why there are two sets of SATA connectors on the MB with one set yellow and the other orange.

Comment

AHCI can be enabled if you like, it will allow Safe removal of hard drives but other than that not much to gain really. NCQ will be used anyway in your OS.

The yellow set is the Intel controller (Top of the Integrated Peripherals Sections of the BIOS) and should have your OS on port SATA2_0 and your CD/DVD Drives on the last port/ports SATA2_4/5

The Purple ports are Gigabyte/J.Micon controller (Middle of the Integrated Peripherals Sections of the BIOS) and can be used for additional storage, CD/DVD Devices, or additional RAID Array if you like. I do not suggest you run your OS From those ports.

I do suggest you update your BIOS to F6c >>

Here is a guide on the suggested method of updating, Qflash, please do not use @BIOS >>

If you do want to use AHCI, windows 7 and vista come with a default AHCI driver so no driver cd is needed for the install. But you can install the latest Intel AHCI Driver during the install if you like >>>

Be sure you choose the"iaAHCI.inf" when you are loading your driver.

You load this at the "Choose Drive" Screen, you should see a load driver button. It may tell you to load a driver if you do not see your disk, but you will anyway due to the default driver. Just go ahead and load the new driver then. You can load this driver direct from USB Ports if you like

Comment

I don't have any purple ports for SATA. I have 2 yellow and 4 orange ports for SATA. Does that mean they are all Intel?

Vista Ultimate 64-bit is installed. I enabled AHCI and installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and I changed the registry following Microsoft's instructions for enabling AHCI after installing the OS. Do I need an AHCI driver or can I update while OS is installed?

Why is there a need for me to update the BIOS? Also, what about all my settings in the BIOS after updating?

I plan on going to Windows 7 so reinstalling Vista is not practical.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot your board only had the 6 Intel ports, so yes all Intel.

Since you have the Intel Matrix Manger installed, you would already have the latest Drivers installed so no need to update that

Updating the BIOS is not a Must, but it is suggested as many fixes and enhancments have been added since the version you are using now. And yes your settings would be gone and you would need to reenter the ones you have manually set or changed as mentioned in the guide

Reinstalling vista? You lost me on that comment? Anyway, if you plan to install windows 7 then I do suggest you use the default driver then install the matrix program after you get all installed, it will update the driver.

I do not suggest you update to windows 7, make it a clean install

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Sorry, I forgot your board only had the 6 Intel ports, so yes all Intel.

Since you have the Intel Matrix Manger installed, you would already have the latest Drivers installed so no need to update that

Updating the BIOS is not a Must, but it is suggested as many fixes and enhancments have been added since the version you are using now. And yes your settings would be gone and you would need to reenter the ones you have manually set or changed as mentioned in the guide

Reinstalling vista? You lost me on that comment? Anyway, if you plan to install windows 7 then I do suggest you use the default driver then install the matrix program after you get all installed, it will update the driver.

I do not suggest you update to windows 7, make it a clean install
            When I do the clean install to Windows 7, do I need to load any drivers for AHCI as suggested in the manual? After installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, I did see a new driver in system32/drivers: Intel Matrix Storage Driver x64. However, I don't know where that AHCI driver is or even if it is installed. Is there a way to find that driver to see if it is installed?

I looked at the fixes stated for new BIOS updates but didn't see anything all that important for me. I will look again but updating the BIOS is not something I care to do unless absolutely necessary. It would be a royal pain to do put settings back to what I have now. Bios F6c is a beta release and I don't care much for beta releases.

Warning:

Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

Comment

No, you do not have to load drivers for AHCI with windows 7, but you can if you want (The ones liked above)

If you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS then you have the driver installed correcly, otherwise you would not be able to boot the system. You can look in device manager, storage controller and you should find the driver in use

MANY Fixes are added into the BIOS that they do not list, but again that is all up to you.

Yes, they state that warning because many do not have the chance to read a guide such as what I linked you to. Flashing BIOS is Very safe, easy, and quick if done properly. You won't have any issues provided you follow the above guide, then just reenter your settings again. If you are at stock then there would not be much you would need to set again, maybe your ram voltage and the AHCI Setting, that would be about all. Take pics of your BIOS now, that would be the easy way then after flash and loading optimized you can check the pics and change whatever you need to to match your current settings again.

It is all up to you, and you do not have to update at all but I do really suggest it

Comment

This is what it says in Device Manager/ Storage Controllers:

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator 6/21/2006 Location Unknown Manufacturer Microsoft

Driver version 6.0.600.18005

Is that the AHCI driver? Sure doesn't look like it. What next?

I probably will update the BIOS, although I dislike installing anything beta. Take pictures of the BIOS? Good idea, and I guess my camera could do that.

Is there a way to get that AHCI driver you linked to in Vista now?

Comment

No, that is the normal IDE/SATA driver, that means you are not using AHCI right now. I am not sure what you did when you mentioned the above work around for AHCI After install, but it sounds like you did not get it properly done

Ya you would need to use your camera :)

I am not sure what you are asking about in your last question.

Clean install with Drivers installed during OS Install is best, since you did not have AHCI Selected during your last install and have messed around in your registry and things do not look right I suggest you either do a clean install now or just leave things until you plan to install windows 7

Beta BIOS is fine, and is often the best BIOS's. Again that is ALL I use myself, as the needed fixes and enhancements are always in these BIOS Long before any of the finals. You will be fine with a beta, and since your board is EOL that may be all your ever see made for it

Comment

No, that is the normal IDE/SATA driver, that means you are not using AHCI right now. I am not sure what you did when you mentioned the above work around for AHCI After install, but it sounds like you did not get it properly done

Ya you would need to use your camera :)

I am not sure what you are asking about in your last question.

Clean install with Drivers installed during OS Install is best, since you did not have AHCI Selected during your last install and have messed around in your registry and things do not look right I suggest you either do a clean install now or just leave things until you plan to install windows 7

Beta BIOS is fine, and is often the best BIOS's. Again that is ALL I use myself, as the needed fixes and enhancements are always in these BIOS Long before any of the finals. You will be fine with a beta, and since your board is EOL that may be all your ever see made for it
                    Well, that certainly is bad news, not using AHCI now after all the work I did. So, you say no point trying to get in the correct AHCI driver now? What I did was follow Microsoft's instructions for enabling AHCI after OS installation--required making one registry change that enables the AHCI driver. I backed up the registry so I could easily put it back how it was, or I could even disable AHCI in the BIOS. What do you suggest? No way now to get that AHCI driver loaded?

Yes, you talked me into it, I will update to the beta BIOS after installing 4 more gigs of RAM for a total of 8GB. I have the additional 4GB of G. Skill RAM coming today via UPS.

Comment

Yeah, bad news for sure. There is no Microsoft instructions for doing what you say, and I can tell you the way it is done is FAR more advanced then changing one registry setting.

If you want the method to install AHCI After OS Properly let me know and I will link you to it

8GB of ram, you better just hold off on the AHCI Business as I bet you will have some issues getting that stable as well.

Comment

Yeah, bad news for sure. There is no Microsoft instructions for doing what you say, and I can tell you the way it is done is FAR more advanced then changing one registry setting.

If you want the method to install AHCI After OS Properly let me know and I will link you to it

8GB of ram, you better just hold off on the AHCI Business as I bet you will have some issues getting that stable as well.
                        Yes, I want the method for installing AHCI after OS, so please give me the link.

Well, I will do the AHCI thing first and wait on the RAM.

Sock it to me. :)

Comment

Alrighty here is the thread posted here on it, with several links to various methods to get it done

The compiled FAQ & guide thread.

How to enable AHCI on Intel ICH9 under XP

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

Some other info here >

Comment

Those are all methods for XP, and not Vista 64-bit. I have the iaStor.sys installed in system32/drivers and that is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver x64

Comment

Same procedure per vista

You need to edit some files and do much more than you mentioned you did previously, so you can't have done it properly

Clean Install is best, be careful if you do not have a backup you may end up on this route anyway.

AHCI is not any faster than normal SATA mode, so you will not see any benefits anyway unless you need to hot plug your drives or something.

I have heard you may also try updating the driver in device manager with the proper driver, but not sure how that works. When I do this for clients I ALWAYS do a clean install, except for in XP I will do a repair install and load the driver during the repair install. Which you can't do in vista as it does not perform repair installs

Comment

Working...
                              X