Cold boot problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold boot problem

System is set to boot at 6:00AM daily (not in standby). For the last 2 days when I first checked system it was still off. Hitting start button gets no result - no indication of power at all, light is not on on board. Turning power source off and on will occasionally get it to power on, but it shuts down before post or right at post screen. The first day it just came back on by itself after I left it alone and it ran all day with no problem. Today, I tested the PSU and as soon as it was unplugged from the mobo and put on the tester it started right up and ran continuously for quite a while. The voltage outputs tested perfectly also. Finally, after turning power back on and off a couple of times it booted up and has been running fine ever since. Both days I checked all voltages and temps and everything was completely normal, no indication of voltage irregularities or overheating. Just to test stability, I did some video editing (cpu intensive) and it went without a hitch and didn't cause any heating problems. Once running, the system is completely stable as it always has been. Have had board in this system for about 6 months. There is no new hardware in or attached to system nor any new devices attached. Neither external drive is normally powered during boot. I've never experienced anything like this before, but have heard of similar problems unique to Gigabyte boards. Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution?

Re: Cold boot problem

So it is all working fine now? If so, then it could just have been a glitch?

I do suggest you use the latest BIOS always, and be sure to test for stability with other tools as well. I suggest you use Orthos/Prime95 and Memtest86+ to be sure things are stable

You mention External devices, you may need to set Legacy USB Storage Detect to disabled in the BIOS.

Are you sure they were not put to sleep accidentally? When you did check on the machines to see if they were powered on, was it right around the exact time they should have been on? Just wondered because I know if you leave windows defaults then the machines may have been put to sleep after being powered on

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      So it is all working fine now? If so, then it could just have been a glitch?

I do suggest you use the latest BIOS always, and be sure to test for stability with other tools as well. I suggest you use Orthos/Prime95 and Memtest86+ to be sure things are stable

You mention External devices, you may need to set Legacy USB Storage Detect to disabled in the BIOS.

Are you sure they were not put to sleep accidentally? When you did check on the machines to see if they were powered on, was it right around the exact time they should have been on? Just wondered because I know if you leave windows defaults then the machines may have been put to sleep after being powered on
      Instead of shutting off last night I put it in standby and it wouldn't boot at all this morning. It attempted a couple of times when I pulled the power connector to the board and reinserted, but shut off right away. It's a modular power supply so I even tried a spare connector but it started and shut off right away again.

I have the latest bios, the legacy is enabled, I told you I checked out memory and other hardware and can find no problem. My specs tell you I'm not using Vista.

It all seems to be related to the power connector on the board because that's the only time it will try to boot is when I reinsert it. Appears I will just have to RMA. I'm going to swap another board in and see what happens since I can't get it started again anyway. If the other board works (it's the one I had in here before I got this Gigabyte board) then I'll know.

Comment

Have you cleared the CMOS and tried again? This can help sometimes.

If you need the RMA page let me know, very well could be a faulty connector as you are suspecting

Comment

Working...
        X