Maximum IOH volts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum IOH volts?

I almost got 4GHz stable with the EX58-UD4P and it looks like its going to want IOH @ 1.26v, as IOH isn't color coded like the rest and Intel has nothing in the X58 datasheet specifying max volts, what is the max safe volts if its even known? Every other chipset has voltage ratings in it's datasheet except for the X58.. I even asked Gigabyte and that didn't help.

Re: Maximum IOH volts?

I guess no one knows..?

Comment

I believe Intel's stated amount is 1.21V, but sorry I cannot find the document right now.

I have used 1.4-1.5 myself, but that is all up to you of course and will be very hot!

I think a safe amount for air cooling would be 1.28, and I do suggest a fan if you run that high. 1.26 would be ok I think, I use 1.24 all the time myself with a fan and without, so test it out and if you think you need a fan then set one over the heatsink. Intel Max safe Temp is 100C. I can link you to that info at least, page #13 >>>

I have posted some thoughts on the other voltages here, along with Intel Info >>

Comment

Thanks for the info, turns out the RAM REFs needed changing to stabilize 4GHz, IOH is at 1.24v now will try to reduce more and QPI PLL (1.20v).

Comment

Ahh, you sure that was it? I have never needed to change those myself at normal clock, which is what I consider you to be using.

You are starting from Optimized Defaults right?

Comment

Yes, been trying them all day and the results varied from BSOD on run 2 of LinX to giving an error at run 13 just changing the RAM REFs and nothing else. I also noticed that Easytune doesn't report the same values for the RAM REFs that I set in bios, displays lower values around .07v lower.

Comment

Also when you reviewed the EX58-UD4P did your i7 have a hard time with 20x multi? I can be almost stable at 4GHz (still tweaking the above mentioned volts, getting 15/22 runs LinX) with 19x multi and instant BSOD with 20x multi (having turbo for 21x does nothing for stability). I seen a number of i7 OCs using 20x stable.

Comment

Originally posted by GiggaByte View Post
                Yes, been trying them all day and the results varied from BSOD on run 2 of LinX to giving an error at run 13 just changing the RAM REFs and nothing else. I also noticed that Easytune doesn't report the same values for the RAM REFs that I set in bios, displays lower values around .07v lower.
                That is because Easytune ONLY shows the % of Dram voltage you set in the BIOS

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                Channel C Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

Read more on this in the MCH Ref Guide in my signature, it will show you how this applies to MCH Ref and MCH Core, which should then help you to better understand the memory Ref's and how to set them

The correct way to adjust those ref voltages is to set Memory to default of 1.5V in this case, then adjust your ref amount, then raise Dram voltage back to where you had it. THEN you will see a change in easytune, which will reflect the % amount you set in the BIOS

Originally posted by GiggaByte View Post
                Also when you reviewed the EX58-UD4P did your i7 have a hard time with 20x multi? I can be almost stable at 4GHz (still tweaking the above mentioned volts, getting 15/22 runs LinX) with 19x multi and instant BSOD with 20x multi (having turbo for 21x does nothing for stability). I seen a number of i7 OCs using 20x stable.
                I did not review the UD4P, I can't find enough time to do a board review as it would take me several weeks off from the forums.

The issue with 20x CPU multi is per your CPU, some just need more voltage to run 20x, some do not. Some will work fine and not need extra voltages when using the 20x CPU multi, others may need far more voltage than you want to use. I suggest since your CPU sounds like it does not like the 20x multi that you use x19 or x21 instead, you will have a much easier time at getting things stable and will be able to use less voltage likely as well.

Same applies to Uncore kind of, Some CPU's do not like Odd values for uncore such as x17 or x19 for example

Comment

Ah.. right now all RAM REFs + term are at 0.86v as thats gotten me up to 21 runs farthest yet. ET says 0.78 for all of them but 0.86v is 51.8% (52%) of 1.66v RAM volts so shouldn't ET be showing 0.52v?

Since 0.86v is 52% of 1.66v and 0.78v is 52% of 1.50v its not going to matter if I start at 1.50v or 1.66v to change the REFs as I can change the RAM volts to anything between 1.50v <-> 1.66v and the auto changed REF stays at 52%.

Comment

Well you are not setting things correctly, so I am not sure what your ratio's or percentages should be at those settings. If you set things properly, with Vdimm at stock and then change ref's then adjust vdimm back, things will change in easytune and correctly reflect what you have set in the BIOS.

I was only trying to explain to you how things work with the BIOS and Easytune, and how things should be properly adjusted. If you are stable and happy, there is no need to adjust things and mess up your stability just to try and see what I meant if you don't want to.

And yes, your last statement is true in a way, if you leave the ref's at auto they will always remain at that percentage of Vdimm. What you need to keep in mind is when you adjust a ref voltage you are not changing the actual voltage, only the percentage of ref vs vdimm stock voltage. If you leave things how you had them, but return vdimm to stock voltage you will find the true percentage that you had been using to gain stability

Comment

From my observation, with the one reference option my board has (CPU Ref,) EasyTune always show the corresponding option value (1st 2nd etc.) for default Vtt (1.2v) regardless of the actual settings, and differs from the value shown in BIOS.

Comment

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET
                        CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20) .80 ET
                        MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET

If you leave CPU ref in Auto it will always remain the same % in easytune. If you set CPU ref to the auto amount then adjust Vtt, that amount will still be the same in easytune. Only if you vary the amount will it change

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          If you leave CPU ref in Auto it will always remain the same % in easytune. If you set CPU ref to the auto amount then adjust Vtt, that amount will still be the same in easytune. Only if you vary the amount will it change

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Well you are not setting things correctly, so I am not sure what your ratio's or percentages should be at those settings. If you set things properly, with Vdimm at stock and then change ref's then adjust vdimm back, things will change in easytune and correctly reflect what you have set in the BIOS.

I was only trying to explain to you how things work with the BIOS and Easytune, and how things should be properly adjusted. If you are stable and happy, there is no need to adjust things and mess up your stability just to try and see what I meant if you don't want to.

And yes, your last statement is true in a way, if you leave the ref's at auto they will always remain at that percentage of Vdimm. What you need to keep in mind is when you adjust a ref voltage you are not changing the actual voltage, only the percentage of ref vs vdimm stock voltage. If you leave things how you had them, but return vdimm to stock voltage you will find the true percentage that you had been using to gain stability
                            Thank you for your help so far. Its not completely stable yet but its almost there so since iam changing up the RAM REFs it'd be good to understand the bios vs ET displays. I put vRAM back to stock 1.50v to change REFs, I have data at 67% (or 0.67v) and address at 65% (or 0.65v) and termination at 0.75v which is exactly half the RAM volts then I went back to 1.66v. The RAM termination is an actual voltage and is not ment as a % like the REFs right? Gigabyte should change the way REFs are displayed in bios to %'s.

Comment

Yes, as said in my guide easytune will show the % of default Vtt/Vdimm for any ref you set, that is why you should set it when those are at defaults so you can keep track of what is what

Term and Ref are both actually voltages, a set % amount of the default Vtt or Vdimm, when you increase either of those voltages the related term or ref also rises as well but the % remains the same unless you change it

I agree, it is very confusing how things work, and I am not sure why they do it like that

Comment

Working...
                              X