Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55-UD3 - i5 750 - Windows 7 x64 RTM - very unstable

Hi guys,

I just build a new system 2 days ago and since then I'm getting random reboots ... the system doesn't stay stable for more than 1-2 hours. I don't think is a windows driver problem as I don't get BSOD and windows doesn't log anything ... it looks like a power problem, at least the effect is the same as resetting the power.

This is my system:
    Intel i5 750 -cooled by Zalman CNPS10X
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (F3 bios version)
    2x2GB Corsair DD3 1600MHz CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
    Samsung 64GB PB22-J 2.5" SSD (+ Samsung F2 1TB EcoGreen for storage)
    Nvidia 7600GS 512MB
    Be Quiet! 450W Dark Power PRO

I don't overclock and I don't plan to do it either, I just want a stable quiet system. I'm running the default fail-safe bios option.

I've been reading lots of forums in the last few days and I've been running few experiments.

What is interesting that when I run Prime95 stress test on all 4 cores the system is very stable (left attached picture).
    When the system is idle or doing little then the problems start (right attached picture) ... I don't understand these things very well but why when idle the core speed is higher and over 3 GHz, shouldn't be lower than when under stress ? Could be the cause of my problems ?

Also, the sytem temperature is not a problem as the CPU temperature never goes over 50 degrees even under load (about 30 when idle).

Any help would be appreciated as I'm really disperate now, I invested so much in this new system and it's unsusable at the moment ... many thanks !
    Attached Files

Re: GA-P55-UD3 - i5 750 - Windows 7 x64 RTM - very unstable

When do you get the reboots? When idling in Windows, or just when you something particular? It would help to know what you were doing when the system reboots, as it may point us into the right direction.

Also use the "Load optimized defaults" function in BIOS, not the fail-safe one.

The higher core speed in "idle" / when not running Prime is due to "turbo mode". When there is only light load and only one CPU core is used then that Core dynamically overclocks itself. It's perfectly normal.

Comment

I have the exact same problem with my new intel i5 platform:
      Proc: Intel i5 750
      Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
      Memory: Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1333C9 4GB kit
      PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt

I get a BSOD with a Memory Management error; I also tested my memory with the in windows build in Windows Memory Diagnotic tool which couldn't find any errors.

When I use daemon tools to install a game it freezes before it's finished.

I'm going to test my platform with another OS(windows Vista 64bit or XP 32 bit)

I will notice you if the problem is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
        When do you get the reboots? When idling in Windows, or just when you something particular? It would help to know what you were doing when the system reboots, as it may point us into the right direction.

Also use the "Load optimized defaults" function in BIOS, not the fail-safe one.

The higher core speed in "idle" / when not running Prime is due to "turbo mode". When there is only light load and only one CPU core is used then that Core dynamically overclocks itself. It's perfectly normal.
        Thank you for your reply.

I get the reboots when idling (even before logging into windows), when browsing the web, when I watched some videos, nothing specific, I think anything that doesn't use the processor 100%.

I've alredy tried "load optimized defaults" with no difference.

I understand the turbo, buy why overclocking if no need ? I don't do anything when oc happens ...

Comment

Originally posted by Aywan View Post
          I have the exact same problem with my new intel i5 platform:
          Proc: Intel i5 750
          Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
          Memory: Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1333C9 4GB kit
          PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt

I get a BSOD with a Memory Management error; I also tested my memory with the in windows build in Windows Memory Diagnotic tool which couldn't find any errors.

When I use daemon tools to install a game it freezes before it's finished.

I'm going to test my platform with another OS(windows Vista 64bit or XP 32 bit)

I will notice you if the problem is gone.

At least you get an error :) ... I don't get anything in the windows logs. The only log I get is after the problem when windows complains that it wasn't properly shutdown.

Comment

It overclocks itself to run older applciations faster that only support one or two CPU cores. You can disable this in BIOS: M.I.T. > Advanced frequency settings > Advanced CPU core features > Intel TUrbo Boost Technology. Actually do try disabling it, maybe this causes the problem for whatever reason.

This could be a variety of things, a driver problem with Win 7, or just about any component could be defective. But since you can run Prime just fine the most likely cause is prbably a driver problem. I would try isntalling Vista/XP on a different HD and see if the problem persists.

PS: I have the i5 750 for testing on a P55 UD3 as well and it runs just fine, I even overclocked it to 4.2 GHz on air.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
              This could be a variety of things, a driver problem with Win 7, or just about any component could be defective. But since you can run Prime just fine the most likely cause is prbably a driver problem. I would try isntalling Vista/XP on a different HD and see if the problem persists.
              When is a driver problem you usually get BSOD, isn't it ? And you normally get something logged in system logs ... I even ticked the option in windows to not automatically reboot and it has no effect, that tell me that windows knows nothing about the problem.

I will try to disable some option in BIOS ike turbo or speedstep that seems to be used when idling.

Comment

A bit late but I think I'have find the solution for the BSOD.

- I've set the SPD from auto to 10 so the memory will run only at 1333mhz;
                - I've set the memory enhanced performance from Turbo to standard;
                - I've raised my memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 volt.

and no more BSOD occured.

I googled with the words corsair and BSOD and find out that corsair has many problems with voltage and timings; especially on intel i7 platforms.

I hope that this solution will help you out.
                Last edited by Aywan; 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, please set your own Ram voltage and multipliers. Sorry I have not used P55 yet myself, so not sure what BIOS settings you have. Looks like I need to start looking into this already!

If you have MCH or IOH this likely needs to be set as well, a bit higher than defaults.

Comment

Increasing only the RAM voltage didn't help.

For me, something else worked (until now at least I had no reboots): I disabled from Advanced CPU Core Features the C1E, C3 and EIST functions.
                    This made my core voltage always around 1200 but at least is stable. This makes sense why when running Prime95 wasn't crashing, becasue using the program was talking the core voltage to something around 1150.

I need now to take it from here and enable one by one to see what will happen. That's why Nickel020 and those that oc probably don't have this problem because probably they ahve already disable them. Nickel020 can you confirm this ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      Yes, please set your own Ram voltage and multipliers. Sorry I have not used P55 yet myself, so not sure what BIOS settings you have. Looks like I need to start looking into this already!

If you have MCH or IOH this likely needs to be set as well, a bit higher than defaults.
                      Hi Lsdmeasap, thanks for you help.
                      Please see attached Advanced Voltage bios page from the manual ...
                      What do you suggest to try ? (see my previous post as well to see how can I stop the reboots, a way that I'm not quite happy with)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ya, with an overclock I do suggest C1E and EIST be disabled. Even at stock I'd want them disabled so the system was always fast as the CPU can be.

Do you have the ram manually set to spec speed of 1600Mhz? If so, you need to set Ram voltage to 1.65 and I would try QPI/Vtt of 1.2-1.35 and see if that helps

PCH Core may need to be set to 1.1-1.2 as well as this is the memory controller setting. It may be fine in auto, I would try the ram and QPI voltage first as those for sure will need to be set, especially the Dram voltage to 1.65

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Do you have the ram manually set to spec speed of 1600Mhz? If so, you need to set Ram voltage to 1.65 and I would try QPI/Vtt of 1.2-1.35 and see if that helps
                          PCH Core may need to be set to 1.1-1.2 as well as this is the memory controller setting. It may be fine in auto, I would try the ram and QPI voltage first as those for sure will need to be set, especially the Dram voltage to 1.65
                          I have nothing set on manual at the moment (appart from the 3 disabled options from the post above), I'm quite scared at changing settings (especially when you get red warning on the right side in bios) ... I never oc anything and all this is new to me. Anyway, I will try your suggestions when I get home. Thanks.

Is it only my opinion or this is very poor from Gigabyte if a system is so unstable with their default settings ... Most people will use thier default settings to run the system and have no idea how to oc !

Comment

You can ignore the red warning on the side, as long as you are not changing values to Red values then you will be fine.

Default or Auto settings are not always stable, those are mainly for so you can get in the BIOS and set things yourself. Gigabyte makes overclocker/enthusiast boards, meant to be setup by the end user. Only Dell, HP, Ect OEM System run stable at defaults, because they are so slow clocked

Try setting your ram voltage only first, then if that does not help, try setting some QPI/Vtt, then if no luck add a bit of PCH

Comment

I had it wrong, it is not the memory that causes the problem but as you said the processors three functions are the troublemakers.

I load the deafault bios settings again and only disabled the EIST function.
                              I tested it for an half hour with itunes open and downloading with grab it and playing resident evil 5 on the background with succes for so far.

I hope Gigabyte is going to make a bios update for this problem or should we notify them first?
                              Last edited by Aywan; 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X