Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-vm900m motherboard Bios Update failure

Dear all;

Im new to this forum and please let me no if its not ok to post here.

Im using a GA-VM900m version 2.0 motherboard. I tried a bois update using a copy i stored in the hard drive. The update failed and it continued trying to read it. Since the update did not happen i had to restart the machine. Since then the screen i recieved was Bios error searching for a floppy dirve at A. And it too continued for some time. Then i had to switch off the machine to prevent the restarting. Once that happened the next time i swith on I get a black screen. the machine does not load any of the devices.

I tried Google

How to recover a corrupt BIOS ?

and found the following link. I assume i have corrupted my bios and im looking forward to restoring it.

Based on the information i gathered i thinks the mother board is having an award bios version. So i created a bootable floppy with the correct bios version downloaded form the gigabyte site. But it too failed.

I assumed the the motherboard is stuck at the boot-block BIOS. And as my VGA is pci i dont get to see the display.

Can some one help me with this .

thanks
    deco

Re: ga-vm900m motherboard Bios Update failure

You are fine to post here!! We are here to help best we can

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you were doing an update from within windows correct? Using @BIOS? This is never suggested, next time please use Qflash or DOS, here is a guide on that along with some methods on recovery via floppy Blind flash >>

Are you putting the .Fxx file on the floppy? I mean you did extract the BIOS file from the .exe right? Just checking to be sure

What you can also try is removing all hard drives and CD drives, then connect ONLY your CD Drive to the first SATA Slot or a Master IDE CD drive if you do not have SATA CD drives. Then put in your Driver CD that came with the board, this sometimes allows the BIOS to recover from the CD.

You may be out of luck though, and need to RMA the board. Let me know if you need the RMA page and I can link you to it.

Comment

Actually i was dealing with the dos mode. I was not using the windows utility. From the start up i went to the bios loading when the machine was booting.

Next i tried exactly as specified.
      Create a bootable floopy with xp.
      Copy the files to it. ( flash895.exe , autoexec.bat , vm900m.fa)
      and inserted it into the floppy drive and started the machine.

Still i get the black screen.

I dont have a sata drive to check with the mother board CD.

What does it mean RMA the boad. Is it Return Materials Authorization. How does that help me.

thanks

Comment

Can you try the NO Drive thing I mentioned, with a IDE CD drive only then? With the motherboard driver cd inserted of course.

RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization as you said, meaning you return the motherboard to Gigabyte and they repair or replace it for you. It will need to be under 3 years old though

Comment

Yer I will try that. Im really wondering why the floppy thing is failing. Is there any place where i can get a full detailed description on my bios intallation. the motherboard manual does not provide the relavant information.

My motherboard is only 2 years old. But Im living in Sri lanka. So where should i RMI. I was able to locate a link but that supports only for north american products.

Im really afraid i will have to throw my motherboad away... :(

Is there any jumper configeration.

Comment

Well the floppy thing is not a 100% for sure thing, just something you try before deciding to RMA

About a RMA for you, you will need to contact Gigabyte directly and see where you will have to send the board too, since it is only two years old it is under warranty still. I would imagine you would send directly to Taiwan since you are close to their, please contact them via email from the closets country to you in the drop out menu here, or just call the Taiwan office and see where they direct you to >>
            GIGABYTE

BIOS Flashing procedures I wrote a guide on here >>>

But for DOS Flash the procedure it simple and you have done it correctly I believe, provided you downloaded the correct files. Sometimes things just happen
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-11-2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

OK thanks for all the help. i will surely try all the remaining things. I will also update the procedings.

Thanks for the helps GURUs

:)

Comment

K, let us know how you get along!

Comment

Working...
                X