Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System is OFF but USB devices stay ON! G31M-ES2L rev 1.x

Hi all,

I recently purchased a gigabyte g31m-es2l and it seems to be working fine. After putting in the CPU, memory, others, the first thing I noticed is that when I plugged in my external hard drive - 2.5" - USB powered (installing Windows 7 FROM a USB), it turned ON! I haven't even touched the power button. Ok, I just thought that maybe it is something else. So I went on, installed Windows 7 and it worked flawlessly.

Now, after installing Windows 7 and the drivers, I tried it again. Clicked Start > Shutdown ... shutting down .. everything turned off except the External hard drive. Now, it caught my attention.

I pulled out my other USB devices (usb powered devices) - a wireless USB - and it turned ON again! I then plugged my ipod, and it said Charging! This was all happening when the system is totally off. Power supply fan is not spinning. No lights, nothing.

Now, I'm convinced that there is something wrong:

Troubleshooting done:

0. The bios was already updated to F9c and tried using other bios. Tried F5, F6, F7, F8, F3 but all are the same. - removed battery, reset the CMOS

1. Turned off the system, Unplugged everything except CPU and power supply (power cord connected) - then plugged in my USB devices and it turned on.

2. I thought it was a ground issue with the case so I removed the motherboard from the case, plugged in just the 24-pin ATX PSU. I even removed the CPU. So now, it is just the motherboard and the PSU and the power cord. Plugged in the ipod/ext hdd, it still says charging and external hard drive turns on.

3. I tried checking the BIOS and disabled any USB related features. I even disabled Wake up on LAN and other stuff. - still the same

The weird thing is I have a USB mouse and keyboard. Those devices turn off after shutdown. I tried replugging it and it doesn't turn on. Just other USB powered devices.

I don't have a spare power supply to use. Could it be the motherboard? How come that the USB keyboard and mouse doesn't have this problem? Do you think that it is faulty? I hate to RMA the thing. Just got it today! I never had any problems with Gigabyte motherboards.

Any troubleshooting step will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: System is OFF but USB devices stay ON! G31M-ES2L rev 1.x

This is normal, it is due to a feature in your Power Supply that supplies the +5V USB to the motherboard.

I am unsure why your USB Mice/Keyboard do not stay on, as the Mouse actually should unless it is not designed this way. You sure the Mouse does not stay on as well, mine does but it has a LED on the back, never checked the actual laser so that may be off?

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I'm sure that the keyboard and the mouse are off. Other devices stay on. It is really weird.

Well I'm relived that this thing is normal. That is my main concern :D

Thanks!

Comment

Well I think it all depends on the device, I have a USB Keyboard and mouse connected via PS/2 adapters and my mice stay on but not my keyboard, and I have used other mice that did not stay on.

So it may just be your external device itself that chooses to remain powered on. You will just need to remember to power it down I suppose

Comment

Working...
        X