EX58-UD4P Auto shutdown failsafes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD4P Auto shutdown failsafes?

Is there any way to configure a hardware-level CPU shutdown (not throttling) based on a user defined temperature or indication of low RPM's for a heatsink fan?

I'm aware of the #PROCHOT and #THERMTRIP triggers on the i7 920 chip itself, but the latter which kills all voltage won't kick in until it's insanely hot (~100c). It seems silly to wait for #THERMTRIP if you have an indication your heatsink fan died 30 seconds earlier.

I've Googled to no avail, is there any objective testing out there that verifies whether you can reach #THERMTRIP and safely shutdown without damaging your CPU or the motherboard?

If it's not available, how hard is it to add a BIOS feature that takes the CPU FAN fail or CPU temp alarms a step further and kills voltage? All the alarms and pretty lights are nice if I'm 20 miles away :)

Re: EX58-UD4P Auto shutdown failsafes?

Not sure about a hardware level shut down ..you would need a chip with code on your MB to achive this ..but you can do what you want with software i would have thought .

Set up a temp monitor with a call to shut down system when a certain temp is reached.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
    Vista 64

Comment

Re: EX58-UD4P Auto shutdown failsafes?

Originally posted by Ickk View Post
      Not sure about a hardware level shut down ..you would need a chip with code on your MB to achive this ..but you can do what you want with software i would have thought .

Set up a temp monitor with a call to shut down system when a certain temp is reached.
      Yeah you can use speedfan or realtemp to trigger an EXE on a temp alarm, but Windows shutdown is notoriously slow and occasionally hangs up (maybe it's preferable to go into sleep mode instead).

I'm probably overestimating what the BIOS can do vs. having to modify code on the motherboard itself, but it would be great if you could somehow mod it to cut voltage when the alarm goes off.

Comment

Working...
      X