Ex58 UD5 and OCZ3P1333LV6GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex58 UD5 and OCZ3P1333LV6GK

Ex58 UD5 and OCZ3P1333LV6GK <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hi,

I'm posting in here because this is my last resort, I have been on the phone with Gigabyte support and with OCZ (Netherlands) for some time now but my problem is still here.

I bought a new rig a few weeks ago (and I have never been able to use it, sort of).

I can install Linux Ubuntu and use it, but when i run the program "lshw" it immediately reboots. (the program "lshw" is something like "everest for pc" it gives you alot of info about your pc hardware.

But my PC isn't stable, when i do a stress test with everest in vista (with a clean install) my PC reboots sometime after a few seconds, sometime it takes as much as 1-2 hours.

I've already sent my Mobo for repair so I know that it isn't the mobo because they tested it with vista, linux sata and ide hdd's (but they used kingston ram) so is this a ram kit problem or a few settings?

My rig:
    CPU: Core I7 920
    RAM: 2x kit of OCZ3P1333LV6GK
    PSU: Zalman 650w
    GPU: ATI HD3870
    HDD: 1x IDE 750Gb
    HDD: 6x SATA 1Tb (curently not connected)

Bios settings for the ram.
    Ram Voltage: 1,64 - 1,66 (tested with both, same problem)
    QPI/VTT: 1,255 - 1,355 (tested with both, same problem)
    (CAS-TRCP-TRP-TRAS) 8-8-8-24
    TRFC: 60 - 80 (tested with both, same problem)
    Multiplyer: 10x because an auto it is at 8x for 1066mhz and now it runs at 1333mhz

I used bios update 'F7' and the latest 'F9a' I got this after a call with Gigabyte because he used that one when my mobo was in repair.

If i run with Memtest 86+ v2.11
    all ram runs fine one by one
    all ram runs fine 3x 2gb
    all ram runs fine 6x 2gb

If i run Memtest86 v3.5
    all ram runs fine one by one
    if i use 3x 2gb it reboots at 20% at test #0
    if i use 6x 2gb it freeze at 3% at test #0

Some help is appreciated

Re: Ex58 UD5 and OCZ3P1333LV6GK

Well I have seen a number of issues with that particular brand lately.

First things to do is be sure you are using the latest BIOS. I advise the latest beta BIOS which you can obtain here >>

Here is a Qflash guide for tips and warnings on flashing your BIOS, please read so you properly and safely load optimized defaults >>

Sorry I reply as I read some days, so ignore the above info if you are still using F9a BIOS

Memtest 3.5 is not designed to run on X58, so I advise you stick with Memtest86+ 2.11

There has been a few Zalman PSU's come to light with issues lately, so you may want to contact them so you can give them model and serial # and see if they will check if that applies to you or not. Here is the latest thread about some of their PSU's and Gigabyte X58 boards with the PSU being the issue, this is just the most current one so i knew right where to get it but there are others >>>
    Cannot install WinXP or Win 7 on new EX58-UD4P based build - TweakTown Forums

Several users found their Zalman PSU to be at fault in this thread, when they tested your board did they have and use your PSU?

If you would like me to provide you settings I can, let me know. If you would I will give you settings for 6GB for now, not 12GB that way we can keep that separate and not add to the issues. I can say from what you noted, that QPI/Vtt of only 1.335 is not going to work with 12GB and may not even be stable for 6GB. You can use much more, you just need to always keep the ram voltage within .5 of QPI/Vtt

Ahh, here this would be optimal settings for you at stock with the above hardware and only 6GB

0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

Code:
    [B]Advanced CPU Features:[/B]
    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
    CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled] << Enabled if you do not plan to Overclock
    C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]<< Enabled if you do not plan to Overclock
    Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

[B]Uncore & QPI Features:[/B]
    QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
    Uncore Frequency ..........................  20-22 (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1, 2x +2, ect) 
    Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

[B]Standard Clock Control:[/B]
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 133
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

[B]Advanced Clock Control:[/B]
    CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

[B]Advanced DRAM Features:[/B]
    Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [10x] = 1333
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]

[B]Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:[/B]
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ......................8
    tRCD .......................................8
    tRP .........................................8
    tRAS .......................................24

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine.  For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
    [url=http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3969957&postcount=3615]XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread[/url]

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................  (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .......................................
    tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ........................................ 5-12 (Odd # values likely will fail)
    tWTP .......................................    (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
    tWL ........................................   (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .......................................
    tRTP .......................................
    tFAW ......................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency ...................

[B]Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU[/B]
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore ............................... Auto is fine if not overclocking, 
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.35-1.46 (For 6GB, 12 may need more)
    CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... Auto is fine

[B]MCH/ICH[/B]
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... Auto is fine
    QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.14-1.24
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.2-1.24
    ICH I/O 1.500v .......................  Auto is fine
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.14-1.2

[B]DRAM[/B]
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.66
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I will check your RAM settings against mine, I hope it is just a setting problem.

I will also try if I can with another PSU, but I have been using that PSU for a year or so with my previous build ( an AMD Phenom) and never had any problem with it.

Thanks for clearing the problem with Memtest 86 v3.5 (But i don't understand why the german support guy told me to use that program).

I will get back to you when I can test another PSU

Comment

Ok here is a little update:

I'm trying with the PSU from my brothers PC and its a OCZ 600w and it installed Windows Vista x64 without any problems on my IDE 750Gb HDD.

I'm currently running Everest in a System Stability Test and I will see if it holds up. I hope this is my problem so I can buy a new one and finaly use my PC again.

I also had a Zalman 650w-HP serie, Is the HP serie from Zalman a compatibility issue with the Ex58 UD5 Mobo or is my PSU fried??

Edit:
        If this other PSU works could somebody tell me what PSU he uses right now with this UD5 Mobo.
        I need connections for:
        1 IDE HDD
        1 IDE DVD writer
        6-10 SATA HDD
        1 Express connection for GPU (ATI HD3870)
        5 IDE connectors for Fans ( I got the Antec 1200 case)
        Last edited by verbuyst; 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Ok I let Everest run for 16 hours and I found that enough to be sure that it is in fact the PSU (Zalman 650HP). I found it really strange that this PSU is not compatible with this Mobo (because that PSU still works with my other mobo).

Now in search for a new PSU

Comment

There are two considerations for power supplies, one is total output (and 650w is certainly enough) the other is how the current supplied by the PSU is apportioned to the various connectors (the marketing people call these "rails.")

I don't have the specifics for yout Zalman, but hypothetically speaking, a 650w watt power supply should be able to supply more than 45 amps to the 12V outputs, but the internal design of the PSU may divide that into two (or more) separate, isolated outputs of 22 amps each. IF the total load on any single 12V "rail" exceeds 22 amps the system will become unstable and will probably crash in unpredictable ways.

So, you end up with a situation where a PSU that has an adequate total output rating and is working normally cannot successfully power a given motherboard/CPU/Video card combination because it can't supply enough current (amps) on a specific output ("rail") but another PSU with the same rating with a "single rail design" (doesn't try to separate and isolate output) can easily power that machine with plenty of reserve capacity.

Check the specs for your Zalman. If it advertises "dual-rail" or "Multi-rail" design that's probably the culprit.
            EP45-UD3P 1.1
            QX9770 @ 3.6Ghz (formerly E8500 @ 3.6Ghz)
            4 X Corsair XMP2 DDR2 800 RAM
            Sapphire HD5850 1GB
            Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner
            Apple 23 inch Cinema display + Dell SR2320L

Comment

Well I looked into it and that Zalman ZM600-HP has Four rails, but the one that I'm currently useing from my brother (OCZ 600w stealthxtream silent) also has four rails.

I'm gonna buy a new PSU this weekend (an Antec Truepower Quadro 1000w) so I'm settled for a couple of years ;-). I also need the SATA connector because I currently use 6 HDD and 2 IDE, and still growing.

I'm gonna do another stress test this weekend when I have the new PSU so I know I don't have any problems in the future. And then I can try to overclock the settings from my CPU and RAM (not to much, but noticeable)

Already alot of thanks for helping me figuring this problem out.

Comment

I have the same RAM as you, and for whatever reason it may be, when trying to run at 1333mhz using 166x8 and mem timings of 7 7 7 20 , its gets past the Gigabyte logo screen and stays black after that.

I have been only using 8 8 8 24 since then at 1600 mhz.

I once even loosened the timings to 9 9 9 28 with the same memory clock and i got the continuous reboot deal. I unplugged it, did this , did that, only solution was to short the cmos pins. And it worked perfectly.

Learning new stuff is cool.
                i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
                Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
                6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
                Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                Corsair tx750 PSU
                EVGA GTX260 SC
                Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
                WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
                ASUS Xonar DX
                Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by dbee View Post
                  I have the same RAM as you, and for whatever reason it may be, when trying to run at 1333mhz using 166x8 and mem timings of 7 7 7 20 , its gets past the Gigabyte logo screen and stays black after that.

I have been only using 8 8 8 24 since then at 1600 mhz.

I once even loosened the timings to 9 9 9 28 with the same memory clock and i got the continuous reboot deal. I unplugged it, did this , did that, only solution was to short the cmos pins. And it worked perfectly.

Learning new stuff is cool.
                  Umm OCZ3P1333LV6GK is PC3-10666, its not 1600Mhz its 1333Mhz, you either have different ram or you have 1333 and your trying to run it at 1600.
                  Either way OCZ3P1333LV6GK is 1333

I have 6gb of OCZ3P1333LV6GK, Its OCZ Platinum Low Voltage Triple channel PC3-10666.

for 6gb 1.58 Dram volts is the perfect sweet spot for a single kit of these, with two kits you may need 1.59/1.60 dram volts.
                  ensure your uncore is double as suggested by LSDmeasap.

Here is my bios configuration, it runs any gigabyte ex58 with ONE 6gb Kit of OCZ3P1333LV6GK complimenting a i7 920:

Code:
                  CPU Clock ratio = 20
                  Advanced CPU Features:
                  CPU Clock ratio = 20
                  Turbo = Disabled
                  Cores Enabled = All
                  Multi-Threading = Enabled
                  Advanced halt [C1E] = Disabled 
                  C3/C6/C7: Disabled 
                  Thermal monitor = Disabled
                  CPU EIST Function = Disabled
                  Virtualisation = Enabled
                  BI-Directional PROCHOT = Enabled
                  QPI Link Speed = Auto
                  UnCore/QPI Features:
                  QPI Link Speed = Auto
                  UnCore Frequency = 20
                  Isochronous Support = Enabled
                  Base Clock Frequency (BCLK) Control = Enabled
                  Frequency = 133

Peformance enhance = Standard 
                  System Memory Multiplier = 10

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)
                  CAS = 7
                  TRCD = 7
                  TRP = 7
                  TRAS = 20
                  Command rate CMD = 1

Dram voltage at 1.58 
                  All other volts set to [Normal]
                  Ran this stable since Bios F4, then F6 F8 now F9e on the specs in my signature.

Edit: if you get hard restarting in your OS when using these modules in triple channel but not in dual or single channel with a stable bios configuration, then your ram kit is no good and you should RMA the kit for a replacement.

edit 2: you dont need to run this kit at 8-8-8-24, they will work at their RATED 7-7-7-20 you dont need to screw with your CPU VTT, even running at 1.16v the VTT is fine, all you need to do is find the right DRAM voltage and run your uncore at 2.660ghz (20x multi in your bios)

Im certain you can leave all your voltages set to Normal and not automatic apart from your dram voltage, set your timing and your uncore manually, set peformance enhance to standard and turn turbo boost off. provided your CPU's IMC is healthy and so is your RAM kits, this will be fine, try 1.58 dram volts with all your ram pieces with the settings above, still unstable? try 1.59v, still?? 1.60, you shouldnt need to get close to the 1.64v limit on your motherboard, these UD5's are very reliable as long as you know what to set, what the deceptive thing is that OCZ dont advise the most stable DRAM voltage for these kits, they just advise it runs up to 1.65, which isnt stable, 1.58 really is for 3x2gb pieces.
                  Last edited by qwertylesh; 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM.
                  Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
                  : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
                  : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
                  GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Ohh man, I came home and wanted to install the new PSU from Antec. Only to found out that they sell it with 8 sata connectors and 9 molex conectors, but you have to chose between them. You can't use all of connectors because the modulare cables don't have enough pluggs on the PSU itself. Man this has been a disappointment.

Does anybody know if it's save to use the branded 'PCI-E pluggs' on the PSU for SATA connectors? (because these pluggs are all the same with there 6pin modulare cable connector)

Comment

Technically its all 12 volts (the sata rails or the pci-e rails) but I still wouldnt recommend it.
                      Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
                      : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
                      : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
                      GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

"Umm OCZ3P1333LV6GK is PC3-10666, its not 1600Mhz its 1333Mhz, you either have different ram or you have 1333 and your trying to run it at 1600.
                        Either way OCZ3P1333LV6GK is 1333"

Yes QWERTY , i know my RAM is 1333 and had it overclocked to 1600. Got it up to 1750mhz using 175x10 and 9 9 9 24. Nice n stable, at least for 45 minutes. lets see here...

Last edited by dbee; 09-06-2009, 02:19 PM.
                        Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                        Corsair tx750 PSU
                        EVGA GTX260 SC
                        ASUS Xonar DX
                        Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                        CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                        Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Wow thats wicked! You got a ram cooler happenin for that OC ??

I ghetto'd mine but arent game enough to OC the ram, nice to know these platinums will OC well (when you dont get a dud kit, happened to me once heheh)

this is my cooler.

^ 6cm Antec tri cool raised by about 4 mobo columns, mounted to a bracket from my x58 UD5 Sli bridge thingy.

My mistake eh, I assumed you were running yours at stock. :)

HTPC1

HTPC2

HTPC3:

Comment

Lol no i dont have any special RAM cooling. An article on Tom's showed a comparison between my RAM and a few others. The OCZ got up to 1780.

Is there anyway i can monitor RAM temps? Never really looked into it, and I dont see a reading in Everest for it. I do have a 80mm blue LED fan that would look sweet mounted aboard them though...

My case is the CM690 and the side fans location blows pretty much over the entire board and seems to do a nice job. Never saw my Northbridge go above 42c. Most of the time its at 40c, and i do see alot of people complaining of 50c Northbridge temps.

Nice cooler, i use the same and removed the stock fans from them ( i miss how quiet they were ) and smacked a pair of Scythe Slipstreams on the Noctua.

Any tips on mounting a fan to the RAM?
                            Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                            Corsair tx750 PSU
                            EVGA GTX260 SC
                            ASUS Xonar DX
                            Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                            CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                            Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Oh yeah, whats the deal with these Sticks. They refuse to run at the Rated 1333 with
                              7 7 7 -20 timings. Heres Tom's review ...
                              Test Results: Latency, Frequency And Bandwidth - Review Tom's Hardware : DDR3 On A Budget: Six 6 GB Memory Kits

Someone tell me something, those TRAS look pretty damn low...
                              Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                              Corsair tx750 PSU
                              EVGA GTX260 SC
                              ASUS Xonar DX
                              Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                              CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                              Windows 7 64bit