BIOS Hell (UD3P and F10e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Hell (UD3P and F10e)

Bought EP45 UD3P a month ago, came with F6 BIOS I guess. Flashed to F9 using Q-flash or FLASHSPI (don't remember). Was using DDR2-800 mem and my overclocking halted, ordered DDR2-1150 mem, and last weekend I decided to try F10e beta BIOS: Flashed using Q-flash (over the F9 BIOS)

1. Can't use the F10e BIOS coz the 2.4 memory multiplier makes rig unstable (Prime95 errors in seconds vs 10hr stable with F9)
    2. Q-flashing back to F9 doesn't work from F10e: Q-flash v2.13 reads the bios file and shows "Invalid BIOS Image" at end.
    3. Have to flash using FLASHSPI (F9 BIOS)
    4. Next time I have boot failure (could be from BSOD or a simple reboot): BIOS Checksum Failure, auto recovering BIOS is displayed during BOOT. Hello F10e BIOS....didn't I just erase you? Happened today, also yesterday.

What's with this DualBIOS? Pressing F9 in BIOS gives information, only with the F10e bios I've seen two bioses: "Main F10e / Backup F10e". With F9, all it said was "F9". After I had flashed to F10e first time, I checked this and it displayed "Main F10e / Backup F6", and I dunno why F9 wasn't the backup...

So, today I'm left with the beta F10e BIOS, will run with 2.0 mem multiplier and hope for a GREAT FINAL BIOS :D
    Last edited by TweakerOwn; 08-31-2009, 01:48 AM.
    Q9650 (4.2GHz, 1.381v BIOS)
    EP45 UD3P (Rev 1.1, F10 BIOS)
    2x2GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 Low Voltage 1.8v (1.12GHz, 1.82v, Turbo)
    Corsair HX1000
    2x GTX260 216SP - SLI Hack
    Samsung F3 1TB
    2x DVD RW SATA
    USB Floppy
    Logitech
    MX518 + G11
    Windows 7 x64

Re: BIOS Hell (UD3P and F10e)

F9 would not be the backup, the board would keep the backup BIOS it was shipped with until a Qflash Update prompted it to be re-flashed such as what you are experiencing now.

A crossflash to another board would fix this and flash your backup, then you would need to flash back to the one you liked (F9) again then the backup would again be flashed with the current BIOS.

Cross-flashing is not advised by Gigabyte nor I, and an/will void your warranty should something happen right then and things go badly and you have to RMA. But If you MUST go back and do not care, PM me and I will send you something to do what I just mentioned

Comment

I did flash to F9 (from F10e), first via FLASHSPI.EXE, load optimized defaults and all, got to windows to see all was "normal". And on top of that, flashed F9 again from BIOS, pressing F8 for Q-flash (v2.08) - this didn't create any "backup bios"

Dunno what the cross-flashing is or means.// Edit....flashing another mobo BIOS ? LOL..can't belive what I'm reading here...

I'll run my rig with this F10e BIOS for now, until Gigabyte releases new BIOS...damn it has to work...

BTW, what is the "bios string" (main: xxxxx / backup xxxxx) supposed to look like? Both same BIOSES ???
      Last edited by TweakerOwn; 08-31-2009, 03:15 AM.
      Corsair HX1000
      Samsung F3 1TB
      2x DVD RW SATA
      USB Floppy
      Logitech
      MX518 + G11
      Windows 7 x64

Comment

I did not say it would create a backup BIOS. The backup BIOS was always there and always F6 as shipped from the factory

Cross flashing means flashing a incorrect model BIOS into your board, which would then flash BOTH Chips with the incorrect model. Then you would use the same process to turn around and flash in the correct model and what BIOS you wanted, which would then populate both Chips with the same current BIOS of your choice

You will not get F10e out of the backup until another Qflash update prompts that, if ever unless you do the above. Of course the new final one may do it but I doubt it

If your 2.40B issue is caused by 400+ FSB that is normal actually, so you may have just got lucky with the older one not doing that

Comment

Tried flashing F10b with Q-flash (from F10e), still the same "Invalid BIOS Image"...

When flashing to F10e (just tried, stopped after the bios file was read), bios checksum would show as "4700", nothing to verify against, "Do you want to continue"...sigh

What do you think of this procedure:
          1. FLASHSPI.EXE to F9
          2. Q-flash to F10b (still haven't tested this BIOS, 2.40B might work)

Would I get "Invalid F10b BIOS Image" with Q-flash ?
          Would I get the F10e bois out this way ?
          Corsair HX1000
          Samsung F3 1TB
          2x DVD RW SATA
          USB Floppy
          Logitech
          MX518 + G11
          Windows 7 x64

Comment

How are you flashing F10b in qflash? I get that error sometimes as well and need to use a different media (IE different USB Stick or different floppy)? Just checking, but anyway I think it would not apply in this case as you have already stated the backup BIOS chip is updated with F10e and a new Qflash, that is why it will not update again to an older BIOS.

What you can do if you want F10b and qflash or flashspi wont let you is flash From windows using @BIOS, if you really want it flashed in there. It should flash fine that way, but keep in mind the usual @BIOS Warnings do apply

That is proper to see checksum, as long as there is 4 characters xxxx then continue with the flash. This is what you will always see when using Qflash, if you see ony three characters xxx or less that is when you cancel and do not flash. This is explained in the Qflash guide

F10e will ALWAYS be in your backup BIOS chip unless you do the procedure I mentioned above, or until a newer Qflash is introduced and told to update your Backup again.

The backup chip is not meant to be user friendly/accessible that is why you are having an issue with it. Just because F10e sucks and you don't like it, it would still be fine to have in your backup in case your MAIN bios crashes. You would just then be on F10e and could easily re-flash after recovery to whatever BIOS you wanted. It is REALLY nothing to worry about

I am not sure if Qflash would error on you when trying F10b as I am not sure when the new Qflash version was introduced into the current F1x series for your model.
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-31-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I'm using a Sony USB floppy drive.

Drive is A: in DOS only.

In Windows and Q-flash it's treaded as B: tho....lol

My boot order in BIOS: USB-FDD, HDD, CDROM... I don't have a standard floppy driver connected (25 years old/big cables!)
              Last edited by TweakerOwn; 08-31-2009, 05:25 AM.
              Corsair HX1000
              Samsung F3 1TB
              2x DVD RW SATA
              USB Floppy
              Logitech
              MX518 + G11
              Windows 7 x64

Comment

Originally posted by TweakerOwn View Post

BTW, what is the "bios string" (main: xxxxx / backup xxxxx) supposed to look like? Both same BIOSES ???
                Sorry I missed this as you edited while I replied I think. It is supposed to look like this for example >>
                (main: F10 / backup F4)

Normally this is a very old BIOS in backup, 99% of the time what the board was shipped with. Only when Qflash has a major update will the backup be updated so that it can continue to work with the new Qflash.

When a new Qflash is introduced and the backup is flashed that BIOS will remain there until a newer Qflash update is needed

Originally posted by TweakerOwn View Post
                I'm using a Sony USB floppy drive.

Drive is A: in DOS only.

In Windows and Q-flash it's treaded as B: tho....lol

My boot order in BIOS: USB-FDD, HDD, CDROM... I don't have a standard floppy driver connected (25 years old/big cables!)
                So you did not try via Actual USB Stick? Anyway, not really an issue as I told you above how to go back with @BIOS and also that the checksum xxxx value is normal so you could have went ahead that way as well.

To recap

Your backup BIOS is normal how you have it now.

If you feel you must change it you will have to PM me for info and you would be doing what I mentioned above and that is risking what I said all for nothing as the backup BIOS has not effect on your or your overclock at all. It is Only used if the MAIN BIOS is corrupted and then it is only copied to the MAIN which you could then flash right over again anway.

Checksum XXXX is normal in Qflash, this means all is well hit enter.

If you have issue going back to F10b or older please try FlashSPI, if that fails you will have to use @BIOS in windows.

Comment

OK, just flashed BIOS to F10b from F10e using this route:

A) F9 using MSDOS disks and FLASHSPI.EXE
                  B) F10b Q-flash from BIOS - Pressing F8 (Q-flash , pressing "End" at POST didn't work: keyboard keys not working...tested twice)

F10b roxx as hard as F9, plz bury the F10e !!!

P95 Blend is working fine, 8 minutes with FSB @ 464, Mem @ 2.40B (well, AUTO Latch and AUTO Mem multiplier) = 1114MHz....F10e would give error in seconds.

I guess, when I have next boot failure, ugly F10e is back from the dead....coz information in BIOS (press F9) shows just "F10b"
                  Last edited by TweakerOwn; 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM.
                  Corsair HX1000
                  Samsung F3 1TB
                  2x DVD RW SATA
                  USB Floppy
                  Logitech
                  MX518 + G11
                  Windows 7 x64

Comment

Nice to see you found a BIOS you like!!

If you do recover from a failure to F10e, just flash again to the one you like, very easy fix.

I would also go ahead and try the new final whenever it is made ready as it may go ahead and re-update the backup BIOS.

Comment

Why does this mobo put 1.9vdimm as default ? 1.8v is listed as default in bios, and my OCZ mem is 1.8v. cpuz does not list any 1.9v for any profile.

Again after a bsod/ aka "Hello F10e" my PC has been up all nite slowly burning the ram.

EDIT ///

Also, leaving memory multiplier on AUTO, no matter what latch I select (200, 266, 333, 400 or AUTO), BIOS always showing it's gonna give x2.40 mem, why does this bug exist ?

EDIT ///

Holy...Using the F10e BIOS, 266MHz Latch and 2.50A seem to work. It ran P95 Blend 1024K (1137MHz mem) and will test 333MHz/2.40B later. This BIOS was restored from Backup.

What's the differance running different latches ?

EDIT ///

Nah, didn't test 333MHz/2.40B, but instead trying to find a new best 24/7 OC: 4203MHz(467x9)/1.344v load, 1167MHz Mem (467 x 2.5) - Prime95 up and running :D First 4 minutes tell me F10e's "333/2.40" is fubared...
                      Last edited by TweakerOwn; 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM.
                      Corsair HX1000
                      Samsung F3 1TB
                      2x DVD RW SATA
                      USB Floppy
                      Logitech
                      MX518 + G11
                      Windows 7 x64

Comment

Haha, ofcourse no change in 333/2.40, errors in few seconds in P95 Blend. Had hopes for 266/2.50A, 9min error in P95, could have been the high mem (1167MHz and Turbo enhance), but I'm back on 400/2.00D

Now, new BIOS plz :D

Btw, why would the BIOS programmers put GMCH latches in the order they appear in F10e BIOS? Never heard of sorting ? :D
                        Last edited by TweakerOwn; 09-01-2009, 03:37 AM.
                        Corsair HX1000
                        Samsung F3 1TB
                        2x DVD RW SATA
                        USB Floppy
                        Logitech
                        MX518 + G11
                        Windows 7 x64

Comment

Working...
                        X