Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

x-58 extreme maximum memory capacity is 6 gb?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: x-58 extreme maximum memory capacity is 6 gb?!

No, I have no mixing the kits, these are new pair of ocz.

since yesterday I'm doing exactly as you said :
    Try to fix it around 1700 with faster (8-8-8-) timings the ocz
    and comparing to original 1860 9-9- bench results.
    Not fully tested yet, but there is a hope.

I have tested geil rams on 1600/7-7-7m it;s should be the same memory speed,
    but 1860 with c9 outperforms all bench results.
    And the best OC on the lowest BCLK is for me the 20x189.
    Thats result 3998 and 1890 ram.
    If I going for lower, I need to rasie baseclock to 205-210 (and lower the ratios of course) which is results higher QPI and this can't be lower.
    (on x58 I know the limit is around 223-225)

What is your opinion, bclk on everyday use 210 is safe ? (qpi..., others can be lowered with ratios)
    If the qpi is higher all qpi vtt must be raised, which is not the best when driving 12 gb with already upscaled to 1.44)
    Or if I raised it for 12 gb to 1.44 it's enough to perform higher qpi alone without adding more on paperform?

When I will finish all of these, I will share all results for helping to others deciding the purchasing the rams based on their speeds.

I just read some ratio tutorial, and it's talking about 1777 margin becuase of core 7 architecture. My rams loose too boot 12 gb when I'm about around this speed. Maybe there is a link between them.

(Technically, the maximum DRAM speed for a stable system is equal to ((Max. Uncore) / (Safe QPI:Uncore Ratio)) / 2 or (4.0GHz / 9:8) / 2 = 1.777GHz. In between 1.777GHz DRAM and 2.0GHz DRAM you are likely to experience some level of instability over the long term. Past 2.0GHz you are just plain lucky.)

Btw this docoument is very nice, worth to read it:

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread

Regards,
    Pubem
    Last edited by pubem; 09-07-2009, 03:11 AM.
    Intel Core7 920. D0 stepping
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58-extreme/X58A-UD7
    Chieftec Server case
    PSU: Corsair VX550 W
    Scythe Kabuto cpu cooler
    Scythe s-flex ventillation
    RAM: 12GB ocz platinum 1866 9-9-9-27 (running at below 1700 and 8-8-8)
    GPU:Zotac GTX275 AMP! edition
    HDD:4x1tb samsung spinpoint f1
    Mon: 2x Samsung syncmaster 214t PVA 4:3.

Comment

210 Bclk is fine, you just have to keep QPI under 8GT/s if you have not hard mod'd your board

Comment

Thanks, this is good news.

My basephilosophy was that keep baseclock at the lowest (and use 21x turbo mode) because of the stress of the system (damn qpi). It will for evereday use of rendering of audio.
        But in this case I have more possibility to gain the best performance with too much stress on the system, and the most important: perfect stability.

Regards,
        Pubem
        Chieftec Server case
        Scythe Kabuto cpu cooler

Comment

Ya it will be fine, that post you linked was written when X58 just came out and much has been discovered since then

Good luck tweaking things!

Comment

I'll report later all about this and sharing some benchmarks.

Thank you very much for help, you are very "'kindful'" man.

(we are talked in private too and lsdmeasap was on track all the time. Ocz still not replied during this, so I can't wrote any news from that side)

Best Regards,

Pubem
            Chieftec Server case
            Scythe Kabuto cpu cooler

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!

And yes, please do keep us informed on your testing

Comment

PEOPLE AND ALL PEOPLE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH RAM POSTING & RUNNING WITH LESS THAN SPECIFIED CAPACITY!!!

This is a Genuine FIX, please DO NOT RETURN YOUR BELOVED RAM, as I was about to do. Please do not take this with a grain of salt, this will guarantee that your ram will be back to its original capacity. Please post THIS FIX to all the PEOPLE who are having this exact same problem with different ram & motherboards of the TRIPLE CHANNEL X58 variants.

I have discovered luckily through thorough process of elimination that (keep in mind that I am not a techy, just very good with hardware... being that I can always source out the problem), when there is minute alterations to physical hardware while your PSU (voltage source is connected to your motherboard that the chipset or CPU's memory controller enters a SAFETY state or locks out certain physical hardware from damage, as personally I have discovered as I have a dual PSU setup with exactly 1000Watts. I had unplugged my 400watt PSU to try and fix my power led connector as the light wasn't on after I tried a ridiculous overclock attemp. Now to my understanding intel has hard coded a fail safe in the hardware (chipset or CPU) that when there is a very minute voltage fluctuation in voltage sensitive devices, I'm pretty certain that the QPI is the most vulnerable and sensitive part when it comes to voltages, as it communicates with the CPU at high bandwidth much like cache & at the same kind of voltage as the CPU (QPI is roughly 1.2volts = very small and sensitive voltage).

NOW HERE IS THE FIX!!! DON"T RMA YOUR RAM!!!

You have to physically reset your system to re-instate your memory capacity, this is how it works... I'll put it in step form.

STEP 1. Shut down & Power off your PC, physically at the PSU Power switch, or in my case switches.

STEP 2. Remove all memory modules to discontinue any voltage source to QPI.

STEP 3. Reset CMOS & reinstall modules.

* In my case I had problems with both my inner & outside DIMM slots as they weren't working & only the inner slot worked (2gb of 6gb that I had was only running), so I tried to reset everything & just put one module in the first white DIMM slot (i have a Gigabyte X58-UD3R) & wallah she was working again!

STEP 4. Put all modules back in & then power on the PSU.

STEP 5. Power on your PC & jump into your BIOS & check your memory capacity.

*To prevent memory reverting to reduced (2gb for your 6gb tri channel or 4gb of 12gb tri channel) you have to make certain that there are no physical voltage fluctuations, if by removing connected PCI Express connectors while the PSU is still on or trying some ridiculous overclock attemp. So please keep this in mind if you don't want to loose your precious overclock settings or to prevent any damage to your system.

*REMEMBER, DISCONTINUE ALL VOLTAGE SOURCES BY TURNING OFF YOUR PSU BEFORE MAKING ANY HARDWARE ALTERATIONS

Comment

Thanks for sharing this.
                  With my new bios f8g the problem solved, ram works ok.

Best Regards,
                  Pubem
                  Chieftec Server case
                  Scythe Kabuto cpu cooler

Comment

Working...
                  X