No announcement yet.

POST BEEP Sound Distorted, Stumbles ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POST BEEP Sound Distorted, Stumbles ?

Thanks for posting back your findings, sounds like a glitch then for sure.

Did you try the latest BIOS for your board, just checking?

Comment

Hi, Lsdmeasap. I have the new F11 BIOS on now, and later today I shall test it for the distorted beep. I'll post back when I've done that.
      AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
      Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
      NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
      RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
      Case Antec P150
      PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
      Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
      HDDs usable 1.7 TB Video ATI Radeon HD4670
      Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
      Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
      Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
      KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
      XP64
      No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
      System built Nov 2008

Comment

Thanks again! So you did not switch teams to Asus?

Comment

Not yet, and not for quite awhile if I can get my system to work properly.

I didn't expect the Gigabyte techs in the RMA section in Los Angeles to have a lot of time to read what I sent (in hard copy), but I still hoped for SOME communication from them. I spent several hours getting everything ready to go. There was just the single word, REPAIR, meaning anything at all. I think it may have just indicated what category my mobo went into, as opposed to, maybe, EXCHANGE. I have no idea.

So the company must be flourishing, if they have no need for any PR at all. Good thing they have that fellow called Lsdmeasap.

Today I did test the new F11 BIOS and, sure enough, same glitch as in F8 and F10. If you like I can send a .jpg showing a chart with all 16 possibilities. As I said, 5 get proper beep sounds, and 11 don't. But I just tested one with F11, assuming if it was distorted, they would all be exactly the same as they were in F10.

As for my system, I am back looking at power. The 520 watt power supply should be enough, and I have charts showing the pre-POST lag occurs (30 seconds to 1:30) even when the system is stripped of drives and most of the RAM. A couple of people have suggested my PSU may be powerful enough but might be not working right.

Hm. At 63, I sometimes feel as though I'm powerful enough but not working right. Could be possible.
          Last edited by Groonx2; 10-15-2009, 12:10 AM.
          AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
          RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
          Case Antec P150
          Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
          XP64
          System built Nov 2008

Comment

Ahh, just sounded like you were upset and switched above, that is why I did not comment about it in my previous reply

Ya, I bet Repair did mean a category, which is good in a way because that means you get the same board back and not a used refurb (Which can be fine as well, I have pushed one past 5Ghz without issue).

Well I think the main issue with communication is even though they are in CA, you are still speaking with native Taiwan speaking people for the most part. So in order to keep things easiest they comment as little as possible. They also hate not being able to properly translate what they want to say, so often they do not comment based solely only that as well.

It all very well could be a minor cosmetic BIOS glitch, and could take them a long time to narrow down and try to fix for something that does not affect stability they may not be concerned about it all that much. I know I would not be, and actually I ONLY have case speakers connected when and if I am trouble shooting something, otherwise they sit on the shelf.

I can't really comment on your PSU, as I have no clue how AMD Setups draw power. If you think it may be a little low in wattage maybe get a 600 or 650 and you should be good to go. I do not however think this has anything to do with your beep distortions. That is likely just a BIOS glitch as you can tell from your tests it is fine with certain things set a certain way which either way would still be drawing the same amount of power.

I'd suggest just removing your case speaker until you have issues you need to troubleshoot, then you wont be bothered by the sounds. I know, not a proper correction, but it is what I would do as it is a minor thing and not even really an issue (To me anyway)

So you did forward this onto the tech's in Taiwan? If not, please do maybe they can help with a beta BIOS or something and then try to get the fix into the next final. Like I said though, this is minor and does not affect stability so they likely would not be fast with a fix and or may never look into it...... Just thought I would see if you could get them to comment, they should at least reply to you with more than one word. Tell them all your testing and findings, and link to this thread. Then ask them to froward the issue to the BIOS engineers >>>
            GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Comment

@Lsdmeasap, I sent a note to Taiwan this morning, and I included a link here.

Here is a .jpg showing the BEEP sound combinations and their effects. (Cut off at the bottom, but the important part is here.) I hope this is useful to people searching this in the future.

How trivial is this?
              Well, now that we know why the beep sound distorts, it doesn't matter. But it MIGHT have. It's like any warning signal. Beep codes can indicate significant errors, so it is worthwhile to follow up on a beep sound that isn't right. Another time, finding the cause might uncover something that really makes a difference.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Groonx2; 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM.
              AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
              Case Antec P150
              Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
              XP64
              System built Nov 2008

Comment

Let us know what they have to say about it all. You may also want to record the distorted sounds and send to them in a few formats as well, just so they can hear it

Comment

Working...
                X