Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790FX-DS5 and BIOS F7

Hi folks,

Try searching for info regarding my question and didn't find anything, so thought I'd post.

I've got a GA-MA790FX-DS5 with an AMD Phemon 9750 and BIOS F6, working just fine. I'm wanting to upgrade to a Phenom II 940 CPU, and according to Gigabyte's site, I need BIOS F7. No problem, I did a manual update to F6 a while back....but ran into a problem. After updating the BIOS (via te DOS utility) the PC wouldn't POST. I cleared CMOS, and it POSTed, I performed the final instruction "Load Optimized Settings" and rebooted. Again, no POST. Went through this a few times, sometimes clearing CMOS worked, sometimes not. (Lots of swearing ensued.) Thinking something went amiss with the DOS utility, I tried Q-Flash. Same result. Managed to go back to F6 (after more swearing), and things are back to the way they were.

I guess my question is, is there an issue with F7 on this m/b? Alternatively, with the Phenom II 940 work with BIOS F6?

Any info, or links I may have overlooked, is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 w/F6
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    2GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5 running at 800MHz
    WD Caviar 160GB & WD Caviar 250GB
    Lite-On LH-20A1S

Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 and BIOS F7

I have not heard of any issues with it. I would advise you use Qflash or DOS as you have been, read this guide for any tips you may not be aware of.

And Since you had issues in the past I would go ahead and just use one stick of ram during the update and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot before doing the flash

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a closer look at your guide.

And, a clarification: I may have worded it incorrectly, but I had NO issues in the past. What I meant to say was that I had flashed the BIOS once before and had no problems with it (went from F5 to F6). So I figured this time would be as easy; apparently not.

Thanks again.
      Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
      ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
      Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

One thing I didn't do that your guide mentions at one point is set "Keep DMI Data" to Disable. I may try this, although I'm unsure if it will help, as I never really get to the DMI pool point with F7.

And Since you had issues in the past I would go ahead and just use one stick of ram during the update and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot before doing the flash
        Even though I didn't have any issues previously, I may give this a try as well. (Shrug).

Any additional ideas are welcome - I have another 7 hours or so before I get back home and try this again. :)
        Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
        ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
        Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

Let us know how you get along, hope all is well!

Comment

Unfortunately, no. I tried a couple of the suggestions in the guide, still no joy. I even tried the later F8d BIOS, juts for grins. Same result - it will flash just fine but on the subsequent reboot I get nothing. Clearing CMOS brings it back (after a couple of clearing tries), and I'm then stuck in that cycle of reboot try/clear CMOS. It will re-accept BIOS F6, and reboot just fine.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. If I can't get F7 to take, my Plan B is to return the Phenom II 940 and exchange it for a 945, which apparently will work with F6 BIOS.

Still, it's strange I'm so far unable to update the BIOS (shrug) - like I mentioned, I went from F5 to F6 right after buying the M/B last year, no problems.
            Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
            ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
            Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

Hmm is it maybe your ram? Do you have any other to try with? And you have of course tried with just one stick right?

So you have not opened the 940 yet? Just wondering as it likely will run with F6, just may have some issues. Then that could maybe help the F7 work properly. That is if you already opened it I mean. If not then not sure what to advise you about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Hmm is it maybe your ram?
                Wouldn't think so, although I haven't tested it in a year (when I built the system), but it passed MemTest+ just fine back then. (It's G.Skill 1066 RAM, but running at 800.)

Do you have any other to try with?
                Nope.

And you have of course tried with just one stick right?
                Sigh, no, I forgot to do that. I will tonight.

So you have not opened the 940 yet? Just wondering as it likely will run with F6, just may have some issues. Then that could maybe help the F7 work properly. That is if you already opened it I mean. If not then not sure what to advise you about this.
                I opened the 940, just to have a quick look and verify contents. Yeah, I was thinking the same, that it might work with F6, just maybe not utilize all the BE features. And thought that installing it might then allow F7 to take (we're thinking along the same lines), but I wouldn't have thought that would be a requirement.

(Aside: Since I'm probably not going to overclock anyway, I shoulda just bought the 945 in the first place. I didn't read everything clearly enough, apparently, nor did I expect such an "issue" with BIOS upgrading. Grrr.)

I do have an email into Gigabyte's Technical Service, but based on a past question, it may take another day or so to hear back.

Thanks for your help & suggestions so far.

Jim
                Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
                ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
                Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

Well a year ago is nothing, the ram needs to be tested now. It could have started failing anytime.

Ya, I don't think it would be a requirement, but you are right we were thinking along the same lines.

Well I hope they get back to you with some news on this. Keep us posted and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Well a year ago is nothing, the ram needs to be tested now. It could have started failing anytime.
                    Fair enough - I'll run a couple of passes on the full 2GB while I'm watching TV tonight. Then, if tests OK, pull one stick and try F7 again.

Well I hope they get back to you with some news on this. Keep us posted and good luck
                    Thanks!
                    Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
                    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
                    Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

K, good luck. Be sure you test each stick one by one so you will know which errors, if one does anyway

Comment

Where did you download the Bios from? Have you tried f8D? Scroll down to choose bios. Try the Asia(China) site
                        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA790FX-DS5 (rev. 1.0)
                        Last edited by artdrivers; 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM.
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                        Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse
                        Monitor: CMV937A
                        7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                        Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                          Where did you download the Bios from? Have you tried f8D? Scroll down to choose bios. Try the Asia(China) site
                          GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA790FX-DS5 (rev. 1.0)
                          Hi artdrivers,

I downloaded from the America link through that same page (gigabyte.us). And, yep, as I mentioned earlier, gave F8d a try last night, with the same result as F7. It too was d/l'd from the America link, BTW.

I'll give the Asia(China) one a try, thanks for the tip.
                          Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
                          ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
                          Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

Let us know how you get along!

I think I need to change ArtDrivers Member title to AMD Helper or something, Thanks buddy for all your AMD help! Now you just need a helper or two and we would be all set

Comment

Alright, here's were I stand now. Decided to go through all this today rather than last night. Here's what I did:

- Downloaded the Asia(China) version of F7 as suggested by artdrivers.
                              - Ran MemTest86+ on the full compliment of 2GB (2x1GB) of RAM as Lsdmeasap suggested: 4 passes, no errors.

- Removed 1 stick of RAM.
                              - Used Q-Flash to flash F7.
                              - Rebooted OK (first time for that!) and re-entered BIOS to load optimized settings.
                              - Rebooted and re-enter BIOS one more time to set RAM speed to 800 MHz (from initial built there were errors running it 1066, rock-solid at 800MHz).
                              - Reboot one more time and let Windows load: Windows loads fine and I can run Firefox.

- Shut down computer and re-install RAM stick removed above.
                              - Reboot to Windows, desktop appears, then computer restarts. Huh?
                              - Let Windows try to load again, gets to "welcome" screen, reboots. Sigh.
                              - Enter BIOS, load optimized defaults, reboot.
                              - Re-enter BIOS, change RAM speed to 800MHz (again), reboot to Windows. Same problem, get to "welcome" screen briefly, then it reboots.

- So, back to Q-Flash, re-flash to F6, load optimized defaults, set RAM speed to 800MHz (all still with full compliment of 2GB), Windows loads just fine. I'm writing this on the computer now back to F6.

So close, and yet.....

Thoughts? Ideas? This seems like a different problem than having to do with the BIOS, but not sure(?). During the flashing of the BIOS, I've not changed the "Keep DMI" or "Load CMOS default" settings, would changing either of those help?

Thanks for your help so far.

Jim
                              Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
                              ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
                              Lite-On LH-20A1S

Comment

Working...
                              X