Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EX-58-DS4 Starts up, shuts down, then starts up again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX-58-DS4 Starts up, shuts down, then starts up again...

Hello,

Ive been running my EX-58-DS4 since december with the following specs.

Core i7 920
    6 gb gskill ram
    gtx 260
    vista 64

Nothing is overclocked. Everything has been running perfectly until last week, this has happened around 4 times, the fourth happened after I flashed the BIOS to see if it would correct the issue.

So the problem is, I turn on my computer, I see the post screen and I think that just after saying "#######" memory OK and it goes to detect the hard drives, it shuts down. Then automatically starts up again and continues the boot sequence but this time its successful.

I haven't made a significant changes since december, I just added a 36gb sata raptor hd and installed windows xp on it, and a few weeks ago I added a USB external hard drive which I use for back up, I've had the hard drive for a long time but now I leave it on all the time cause backups are automated.

Oh and I've enabled usb keyboard legacy support so I can be able to use it on the bootloader when selecting XP or Vista.

This is a really weird issue and its something ive never seen before. When in windows computer runs perfectly without an issue. It's just the post thing.

The only thing I've tried right now is flashing to the newest non-beta bios, but the issue happened again today so It didn't fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW: This is completely random, I have no way of replicating the problem since I don't know when it will happen again
    Last edited by andrewe1; 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM.

Re: EX-58-DS4 Starts up, shuts down, then starts up again...

anyone?

Is there a way to prevent the bios from shutting down and instead have it throw out some sort of error code or something...

Also I forgot to mention that my PSU is a Corsair TX750...so no problem there...

Comment

Sounds normal to me. Are you seeing a Red Warning box if you go into the MIT Section of the BIOS?

What the board does that for is to check and verify settings, reload and apply them. While this does not always happen it is normal.

You do need to likely find and set your own QPI/Vtt voltages though, if you are not doing that already as Auto may not set them correctly. Ram voltage of course should also be set manually

Your external USB Device may cause some issues as well, since you just added it is this when you started seeing the issue mentioned? If so then it could be the issue and setting legacy USB Detect to disabled would remedy that but since you need it enabled you can't set this. You can of course test it out though, then you will know if the USB Device is causing this to happen where you normally did not see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Sounds normal to me. Are you seeing a Red Warning box if you go into the MIT Section of the BIOS?

What the board does that for is to check and verify settings, reload and apply them. While this does not always happen it is normal.

You do need to likely find and set your own QPI/Vtt voltages though, if you are not doing that already as Auto may not set them correctly. Ram voltage of course should also be set manually

Your external USB Device may cause some issues as well, since you just added it is this when you started seeing the issue mentioned? If so then it could be the issue and setting legacy USB Detect to disabled would remedy that but since you need it enabled you can't set this. You can of course test it out though, then you will know if the USB Device is causing this to happen where you normally did not see it.

I do not know much about the MIT settings that's why I run everything at stock settings, but I went in just to see and didn't see any red warning labels or anything like that.

The system has been running stable since December and I never had that issue. One time I just had the dual bios recovery thing but the new BIOS corrected it. So I'm not sure if voltage settings are an issue. Windows has been rock solid, games, 3d applications. Not a single BSOD or anything like that since first built.

I'm gonna try disabling USB legacy support since I do not need it, the external backup is used only in windows, I do not need it at boot time.

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Good no warnings, that means things should be ok then.

Ya since you dont use the USB Device at boot you can disable that setting, but do keep in mind you wont be able to use USB Keyboard to choose your OS in the boot menu if you do so. So if that corrects it and you don't have a USB to PS/2 adapter then you may need to just hook up your backup drive only when you need it, then you could leave the setting enabled if you liked.

Comment

Good no warnings, that means things should be ok then.

Ya since you dont use the USB Device at boot you can disable that setting, but do keep in mind you wont be able to use USB Keyboard to choose your OS in the boot menu if you do so. So if that corrects it and you don't have a USB to PS/2 adapter then you may need to just hook up your backup drive only when you need it, then you could leave the setting enabled if you liked.

Well I disabled USB storage and left keyboard legacy support enabled and the bootloader still works :)

Gonna see if I still have issues...

Thanks!

Comment

Cool, sounds good. Keep us posted if you have issues.

Comment

Cool, sounds good. Keep us posted if you have issues.

BTW: Where would you see the warning box inside the MIT section? I asked cause I scrolled down and some items said in red stuff like "Warning: increasing voltage might reduce component life" or stuff like that...

I'm not sure if that's what you were referring too? Cause that sounds more like a preventive warning rather than something that's malfunctioning...

Thanks

Comment

Right when you enter the MIT Section it would appear in the middle of the screen. You'd have to press enter for it to go away so you would know.

Those warning you mention are just general warning for people in case they do not know what they are doing, not the red warning box I mention. SO yeap, just a preventive measure is all

Actually, here is an example (P45) of what the red warning box looks like that I am referring to >>

Comment

Right when you enter the MIT Section it would appear in the middle of the screen. You'd have to press enter for it to go away so you would know.

Those warning you mention are just general warning for people in case they do not know what they are doing, not the red warning box I mention. SO yeap, just a preventive measure is all

Actually, here is an example (P45) of what the red warning box looks like that I am referring to >>
                    Oh gotcha...I think If I saw that it would have been the first thing I would've mentioned lol...

Thanks!

Comment

I thought so, but had to ask because some users ignore this and think since settings shown are what they set all is well.

Comment

Working...
                      X