Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

My issue is, while trying to update my chipset driver for my Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 motherboard. I downloaded the new driver file, started install, it required I delete the current ones, and the install continued(at least I assume it installed the new ones), and requested I restart the computer. When it came time to start back up, nothing happened, the computer lay dead. I hit the power switch, a few times, unplugged the main power, checked the surge protector, tried a hard reboot, nothing helped, and the computers still won't come on.

From some posts I've seen on the webs, not from this site, I've seen that it may be possible, to perform a "reboot" of the motherboard physically by removing the watch battery on the motherboard and playing with some jumper(?). That was a post I read for a BIOS reboot, but I'm assuming that would give me a manufacturer reboot completely.

If anyone can help me get my computer back online and possibly tell me what I did wrong, that would be aweosme. I'd like to thank anyone and everyone that helps me with this issue in advance.

GHa - new member in need of serious help.

Re: [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

A bad driver cannot usually cause the PC to not boot at all. The driver would have to actually cause a hardware defect which is pretty uncommon.
    The driver cannot cause this because no drivers or anything are loaded for the first 5-10 seconds of the boot process, the board will only start to load files to start Windows after those 5-10 seconds.

Removing the battery will cause a full reset of the BIOS settings. Shorting the CMOS clear jumper usually also resets the BIOS, but sometimes it doesn't work properly and the battery has to be removed. Without power the BIOS then cannot remember its settings and reverts to default settings.

Are you sure you just updated a driver or did you use @BIOS to update the BIOS? That could have resulted in a bad flash which basically destroys your BIOS and the BIOS is needed to boot the computer.

Comment

Yea all I did was download the chipset driver, and then install it. It told me it needed to uninstall previous drivers, and then continued on.

After that, it said it needed to start, then never did.

I've opened up the frame now, and when I hit the start button, the only sound or notice of anything happening is the small, quiet sound, that sound your tv makes when it turns on/off. Nothing else happens.

Only other thing I've updated yesterday, was a graphics driver. I was trying to figure out why my pc wouldn't play a certain game to full effect, serves me for using files from manufacturer websites. Oh well, hopefully there is osmething I can do.

Comment

You didn't flash the bios right, just the chipset drivers for the board? If so I'd try and reset the cosmos. I suggest taking out the battery for about 30 minutes and give it a shot. Also check all your power cables and make sure their properly plugged in.

Reseat your memory and or processor just for kicks. If you get it to boot you may need to reinstall your OS to get the chipset drivers.

Did you use the chipset driver from gigabyte or your cd rom?

Lets us know

Comment

Yea I'll play with it a bit later, and no, I have no idea how or what flashing the bios is. Download driver/install driver/restart computer/computer dead.

Comment

Are you still using onboard graphics? You may want to install a graphics card.
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
            Logitech G500 USB mouse
            Monitor: CMV937A
            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

As said above, are you SURE it was a chipset driver and not a BIOS update? Many users install the autoupdate programs and are not sure what updates they apply this is why I ask. Did you manually download and install the Intel Chipset INF Drivers, or did you use some program/Gigabyte feature to install a Driver/program?

Chipset driver would not do this, BIOS update however could and many call this driver which is another reason why I ask to be sure.

Please remove the hard drive from the computer and start the system. If it does not start then you know you updated the BIOS not the chipset driver, although if you did use the auto update Gigabyte utility it could have updated both at once without you noticing if you did not pay close attention to what was installing.

If the board will not start without the hard drive, please clear the CMOS as outlined in post #2 of this thread >>

Comment

To clear cmos page 7 of your manual has a diagram, and shows where the clear cmos jumper is located on your motherboard.
                Page 24 of your manual has instructions on how to clear cmos.
                Here is a PDF file of your manual.
                http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                Logitech G500 USB mouse
                Monitor: CMV937A
                7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Alright, I left the battery out of it all night. I also unplugged some of the connectors and reconnected them. There was no change in the activity. It's still dead.

Comment

Please try what's lsdmeasap suggests in post #7 if you haven't already.

Comment

Alright, thx to everyone that has responded so far.

(Jumper) - I have tried the jumper deal, as I also did it when I did the battery pull out the first time.

(Source) - This is the page I got the chipset driver from: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M61PME-S2 (rev. 2.x) The chipset link, from the American mirror. As I can't get on the computer I'm 99% sure no other file was dowloaded. The computer still won't turn on, I get a short sound, like it's getting power and then it just sits there. No other activity takes place whatsoever. And I removed the hard drive, and still nothing happened.

So I'm at a complete loss as to how this can be solved.
                      Last edited by GHa; 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

If you have access to another power supply try that to rule out PSU. Also make sure Main ATX connector and 12V ATX all the way in on MB. I am guessing 12V problem if it is not turning on at all.

Also could try Power Supply reset.

Disconnect Main power cord to power supply and press power switch on front of case for 10-15 seconds. Plug main cord back in. And turn on computer.

Also try taking battery out and leaving computer unplugged for 30 mins. As noted before.

The chipset driver is not the issue right now. That has nothing to do with the computer booting up until Windows calls on those driver files at windows Startup.

Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by gigafan200; 08-13-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Have you removed the hard drive yet, so you can see that a driver has nothing to do with this? With no hard drive connected the drivers cannot affect the system, so you would know the drive is not the issue.

If it will not start with no drive connected then it just happened to be a random coincidence that something else died at the same time as you restarting your computer for the driver update, not that the driver killed anything

Comment

Yea I unplugged the hard drive and I've tried repeatedly to turn it on. Now I've unseated and reseated the motherboard.

I have another Power supply unit, but it's an older version. it has 4 less plugs on it, so I don't want to hook it up to the newer board without knowing what I'm doing. Also, I have my older computer, that the older PSU came from, I hooked the newer PSU up to it, but the older motherboard has 4 less pins for the main power plug, and on the main that hooks up, there is one missing from it. It doesn't work, but I'm also not sure if the pin lay out matters.

Is it possible for a power supply to just randomly go out, while performing a restart on the computer? And if anyone can help me with the PSU issue, to test the computer that's having the issue's PSU on the older computer, if it's possible without butchering it, that would be awesome. Or hmmm, I could take a voltmeter to it aye?

Comment

Yes, it is possible and it is possible if that happened that it damaged other parts. Do you feel confident in "Jumping" your PSU? If so, then please see here for how to jump test your PSU's >>
                              How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

If you do this, please also have at least one other thing connected to the PSU, such as a fan or floppy drive.

And yes, you could possibly use either PSU on either board, but I would need to see the plugs you mention. You can use a 4Pin on a 8pin plug and visa versa but you need to look at the socket and plug and be sure you match them up properly. Same applies to 20 and 24 pin ones. That may not always work but most often it will, and usually would be fine to test the board or PSU.

Here is some info on all PSU Connections, in case you want to look up one or read about them all while you wait to hear back
                              All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

If you are talking about some Dell or HP, ect boards/PSU then stop now as they wont work.

Comment

Working...
                              X