GA-EX58-UD3R CPU Fan Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD3R CPU Fan Speed

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="GENERATOR" content="BLOCKNOTE.NET"><title></title><style>BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } </style><basefont face="Tahoma" size="2">Desktop PC Information Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz Prod Code: BX80601920
    Patriot Memory: DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz 6GB ( 3x2GB )
    Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4890
    Windows 7 RC1 64-bit

I'm a novice. I do the build myself, but I put together what others tell me will be a decent system.

I don't believe my CPU fan is operating properly. It seems to be on high most of the time. When it's on low, if I do something like load up LOTRO, the fan kicks into high gear, but when I terminate LOTRO the fan stays in high gear.

Today, I came in and powered up the system, it had been off all night, and when it came up the fan was very quiet. I surfed for about an hour. It's a new build, just a few days old, and I needed to reinstall the sound driver. That caused a reboot. On the way down the fan kicked into high and it stayed that way through restart and windows load. I've been on it for about 3 hours now and the fan is still at high speed.

My terms are relative, sorry. "high"? who knows. I'm judging by sound.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Re: GA-EX58-UD3R CPU Fan Speed

Go to this website and download HWMonitor and CPU-Z. HWMonitor will tell yo the RPM of your fan and with CPU-Z you can check which BIOS version your board has (under the Mainboard tab).
    A BIOS update might help with the CPU fan, if your board still has an older BIOS.

I also have the UD3R and I haven't noticed the fan not spinning down under load.

Comment

In the heading "ITE IT87" under Fans, I see 2518 in the value column. For BIOS, I've got F6 from May 11, 2009. I updated the BIOS as part of my effort to resolve this.

Comment

I assume your using the stock cooler. Make sure you have all the pins pushed in all the way. I installed the stock since I was waiting on my noctua to run some benchmarks and I had thought I had gotten everything in firmly but when I jiggled it I noticed one corner was loose. that might be it, just partial contact but not firm.
        Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
        Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
        Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
        3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
        2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
        2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
        WD Caviar Black 1TB
        Antec 1200 Gamer Case
        Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Working...