Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P Fried. Urgent help please!

Hi all,

I am building my first system and I have(had?) the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

I installed the processor, heatsink and ram outside the chassis and then installed the motherboard with screws at 9 places(as is shown).

I did not use any spacers, washers or such. On the reverse side of the board, there is metal strip that I assumed keeps the gap between the motherboard plate and the board.

When I started the box, nothing would start. I thought that some screw is short. So, I removed all the screws and just placed the board on the plate and started it. Voila, it started just fine.

At this point, I assumed that if a screw is short, the box won't start.
    So, I then put one screw and started it. Started fine.
    I put another. Started fine.
    I put one more. 'Phattttt'. The chip on the left of SYS_FAN2 gave a spark and got fried.
    The board won't start anymore.

What did I do wrong? Did the screw short the board and cause this?
    Or is it something else altogether? Is it the PSU? What options do I have now?

Can somebody please help me?

Thank you
    Nilesh

Re: EP45-UD3P Fried. Urgent help please!

I dont want to be a doombringer ,but with only 12v running thru your mbrd a "phzzzit" and a spark sounds terminal.The chip to the left of the sys-2 fan header..? little black one with sata 2 stamped on it?

Your mbrd should work without even being in a case as long as everything is connected up properly.Ie it doesnt need any screws at all.

You could try connecting everything up with the mbrd outside the case again or just leave the mbrd suspended on the sheet of sponge that came with it to ensure there is no electrical contact with all the little solder spots on the mbrd,but then theres a risk of damaging the other components,if they havent been already.
    I dont know what you mean by a metal strip between the mbrd and the backpanel of the case.There should be no contact at all between the back panel of the case and the mbrd except at the 9 suspension points.

The mbrd mounts on 9 metal "pegs" which are supposed to provide clearance between the mbrd and the case panel.the screws go into these pegs/posts and so the mbrd is held a few mm cear of the back panel.
    You usually have to insert these little pegs to line up with the holes on your mbrd before screwing it to them

Some cases come with a little packet of brass posts that thread directly into the back panel,others with posts that need a nut recessed into the back panel before they can be screwed in.

Im assuming you knew all this and didnt try and screw the mbrd directly to the back panel?
    If someone tried this there would be lots of pfzzt and sparks.

Best bet would probably be to return to supplier for a replacement or refund "its not working".
    Altho were not supposed to discuss rma's etc on the forum.
    I just hope its only the mbrd thats gone.

Also before next build google things like "how to assemble pc components","how i built my pc",that sort of thing..just to be sure.

Or even "rescue" a fairly modern pc from your local recycling centre and pull it apart just to see how the parts fit together and the mbrd is attached to the case.
    Last edited by kick; 08-03-2009, 05:09 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I'd check the finish of the case where the screws go (don't know the name for them in english) they are a bit above the plate and should feel smooth with no metal coming out from them.
      Otherwise it may be something on the board, check the area of the hole that caused the problem, both front and back side of the board.

Comment

Thanks a lot for responding.

Sorry if I am sounding like a noob, but from what I know, the circle around a hole on the board is kept isolated right? As in it doesn't directly connect to any circuitry on the board?

The screw set I received did not have any pegs/posts.

Oh well, guess I am screwed. :(

Comment

You did not get any of these... Brass Standoff

IF you didn't that is/was your whole problem... but if your board is fried not so much ne more. Newegg?

Comment

I didn't get any of those. :(((

Yes. Newegg. I have bought a 1 yr replacement warranty as well.
            Will I get a replacement?

I am very worried abt other components though. I don't have any warranty for those (and it's beyond 30 days) AND I have no more money to buy new stuff.

Gosh, this is a very bad day for me.:(

Comment

Those stand offs should have came with your case I believe if you ordered one. On your other parts just have to wait and see. Did you try it again out side of UR case? May just need to purchase the stand offs or get them from the case manufacture (if new case).

I don't know this but I think Newegg resends out items that have been previously returned. JMO
              Last edited by Conners; 08-03-2009, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Not being able to see the case or know what brand it is ..perhaps the "standoffs" are built in already? Usually tho when buying a case they arent already fixed on because different motherboards types(size format ,full atx like yours,or mini or midi atx) have different mounting points.

Yes the holes in the mbrd the screws go thru are isolated theres no circuitry near by and the screws arent needed for "earthing" .Theyre just to hold the mbrd steady and to keep all the solder/contacts on the back clear of the metal behind.
                Even with the "standoffs" there is a chance of contact with the back of the mbrd with flexing etc.
                Some people put the sponge that came with the mbrd behind it (psycho 101's tip) or maybe some thin cardboard with holes cut in it for the pegs.

If the case doesnt have them or they didnt come in the screw packet.. it would seem v bad marketing.
                Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Depends on the case. In mine the holes for the screws are like small bumps that are few milimeters above the plate, not need for the stand offs.

Comment

I have the Cooler Master Elite 330.

As Kick said, I figured the holes are electrically isolated AND if you check the 4th pic in this link
                    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

you will see metal strip in the center. I thought that is there to prevent the solder/contacts from touching the metal behind.

So, I did not use any standoffs.

I think what happened was, when I tightened the third screw, somewhere the board touched the plate and it blew! :(

Comment

You must use standoffs to mount the board in the case!!! There are no alternatives. They are there to keep the board from shorting. That metal strip is a stiffener. The standoffs should have come with your case not the motherboard. I would check with your case manufacturer since the height of the standoff is important.
                      Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
                      Intel Xeon E5-2670
                      Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
                      64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
                      EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
                      Thermaltake Armor+
                      Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
                      1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
                      4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
                      7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
                      Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
                      ASUS RT-AC68U router
                      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                      Windows 8.1 Pro x64
                      Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Yeah. I realise that. Learnt it the hard way I guess.

Comment

This may seem like "believe it or not" but I actually bought that case .I told the store I was testing it out and if it didnt have clearance for my cooler could i return it.
                          They agreed.
                          Its roomy front to back but the construction is cheap,came with one built in 120 fan i think.
                          The main point tho is ,it was of the , you do have to screw in brass standoffs..and they were in my box.
                          The actual mbrd mounting panel was v thin with depressions punched into it to add rigidity from what I remember,I returned it the next day.
                          Current Systems:

Comment

I apologize for the issues your having, but I have to say if your a novice you should read the motherboard installation manual that's a real that you didn't. (I still do after 15 years of assembling systems)..

I think we as overclockers are more advanced than regular everyday pc users, and understand the ins an outs of assembling a system correctly.

I really feel sorry for your issue, but it's a problem caused by lack of knowledge. I suggest you take out the manual that came with the motherboard and read it carefully and also do some GOOGLE research on system building, before attempting ANYTHING involving your own valuable components.

Remember if your not a chef stay out of the kitchen at least till you learn how to cook..
                            sigpic

Intel Q9550 (C1 Stepping) @ 4GHZ 500FSB

Thermalright Ultra 120mm & IC 7 Carat with 120mm Logisys Green LED fan.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Rev 1.0)

8 Gigs OCZ Platinum PC-8500 (5-5-5-18)

2 Western Digital 250 gigs 16mb Cache SATA II's Raid-0 Array

Vista Ultimate 64 bit Operating System

PC Power & Cooling Silent 610 watt SLI certified
                            80 PLUS

Cooler Master CM 690 (Nvidia Edition)

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

EVGA GTX 260 (Stock Speed)

Comment

Need help please.

I had a word with newegg and as it's beyond 30 days, they, as expected, won't take the motherboard.

Now, Gigabyte has a 3 yrs warranty and I have a Service Net 1 yr replacement plan.

What option should I use? Who is more likely to give me a replacement?
                              (I am not even sure if I owe one as this sure was 'accident due to handling')

Please help.

Comment

Working...
                              X