• Show
Clear All

• Major problems with EP45-DS3L

Here is the situation. I have built a new rig using:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L mobo
    8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR21066
    Intel C2D E7400
    Antec 500W TP PSU

Right now the machine is not overclocked. I have verified in BIOS that the system is at default speed and the ram is running at 1066 (default).

The system is having BSOD after BSOD. Different errors, but all relate to memory.

Memtest86 will freeze the PC at 5% with all 4 sticks in however, each stick tests out fine individually in each of the 4 slots.

I have tried all combinations of chips in all slots, any order of all 4 chips freezes memtest86 at 5% completion. Any combination of 3 chips freezes it at 7%.

I have set the memory to factory voltage and timings. I have tried underclocking the memory to 800mhz instead of 1066.

The weird thing is that all of the combinations of 2 chips works fine except one combination. c2 + c3 in a paired slot causes an immediate crash, but all other combinations in slots works fine.

The symptoms seem to be that ANY more than 2 chips causes memtest to fail. Even though each chip tests fine alone and in most cases with 2 chips...

Finally, I have 11 successful passes of memtest using c1 and c4 in slots 1 and 3, but then in windows, another immediate BSOD.

Please help, I'm losing it.

Re: Major problems with EP45-DS3L

That's 2 4GB kits you are using or a 8GB kit?
    Please fill your signature with the system spec and a link to the ram page (manufacturer if possible)
    I would start with 2 modules in dual channel mode at 800MHz, Dram Voltage 1.9v (if it is within specs,) and MCH Core set to 1.2v and increasing it if needed 1.24-1.26v.
    Load optimized defaults before making the changes.
    Also, please fill the folowing template with your settings,, suggested and set. It's just a template so ignore the values in it and replace them with your own. Post it back wraped in code tags (the # icon in post editor toolbar)
    Code:
    Motherboard: Model:  Rev#:  Bios Version:
    Cpu: Model
    Ram: Brand, Model/Part#, Link to your ram's specs
    Power Supply Unit: Brand, Model#, Wattage

Default settings for new setups that are not overclocked.

note: replace all ?? with the value displayed in your bios.
    ----> Replace "Auto" with manually set values.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster -------------- : [Auto] <--- FAST is OK
    CPU Clock Ratio ---------------------- : [##]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------------- : [0.0] < ignore if not available
    CPU Frequency ---------------------: ####

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control --------------- : [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) --------------: [Mhz]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---------- : [Auto] <--- Set to 100, never leave this on Auto

C.I.A.2 ------------------------------ : [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control ------- [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive ---------------------- : <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive -------------- : <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : <<<
    MCH Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : <<<

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Turbo] <--- set to DISABLED when overclocking
    Extreme Memory Profile --- (X.M.P.) --- : [Disabled] <--- Leave this Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch ---------------- : [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier -------------- : [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ---------------- : [Auto]
    DRAM Timing Selectable ---------------- : [Auto] <-- set to MANUAL for overclocking

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time -------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tRCD  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tRP --------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tRAS  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tWTR  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tWR --------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tRFC  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    tRTP  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) -------------------- : [Auto] <--- Auto or 0 is OK

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength --------- : Press Enter <--- press ENTER to modify memory sub-timings when overclocking

Channel A
    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [Auto]
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [Auto]
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    Voltage Types------------ Normal -------- Current -----
    Load-Line Calibration ----------------- : [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore --------------- 1.?????  ---- : [Auto] <--- set to the 1.????? value

CPU Termination --------- 1.200V* ----- : [Auto] <--- set to the value to the left (Auto over-volts this too much when overclocking) Auto is OK if not overclocking
    CPU PLL ----------------- 1.500V* ----- : [Auto] <--- set to the value to the left (Auto over-volts this too much when overclocking) Auto is OK if not overclocking

CPU Reference ----------- 0.755V* ----- : [Auto] <--- Auto Will set this correctly
    CPU Reference2 ---------- 0.800V* ----- : [Auto] <--- Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [Auto] <--- set to 1.20 for 2x2GB ram (1.24 - 1.26, or 1.05 might be needed)
    MCH Reference ----------- 0.800V ------- : [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref ------------ 0.900V  ------ : [Auto]
    ICH I/O ----------------- 1.500V ------- : [Auto] <--- set to the value to the left
    ICH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [Auto] <--- set to the value to the left
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ------------ 1.800V ------- : [Auto] <--- set to the max rated ram voltage (for most memory)
    DRAM Termination -------- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]
    Channel A Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]
    Channel B Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Auto]

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ------------------ : [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect -------------- : [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ---------------- : [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support ------------------- : [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support ----------------- : [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ------------ : [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function  --------------------- : [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology -------------- : [Disabled] <--- Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect  ------------- : [Enabled] <--- set to Disabled when

Comment

Its 2x 4gb kits. I have bumped the dram voltage up to 2.2 (mfg specs) and have been trying it underclocked to 800 with the same results. I have bumped the MCH voltage to 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 with the same results.

I have left the timings on auto, and I have forced factory timings (5-5-5-18) all with the same results.

I have come to the conclusion that it either a bad mobo, bad ram, or both. I am actually on the second MOBO, because the first I had had a dead DIMM2 slot in it. I can't believe that both mobos were bad or that I managed to get bad RAM and a bad mobo at the same time. Especially since I have 2 kits to work with...

I feel like I am missing something else here.

All the RAM timings are back on auto right now, which loosened it up considerably from the mfg specs on the ram. Here is the RAM itself:

OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 4GB Edition Dual Channel

Comment

Those are the omly options you have for MCH Core?

Comment

No I can go between those values as well why?

Comment

Becasue more is not always better.
            I for example cannot boot at all with 1 module of G.Skill 8500 with 1,2 MCH Core, and recently there was someone that found he need 0.95v MCH Core to use his 4GB G.Skill 8500. It may be worth trying this too.
            Small increments may help find the best MCH Core needed for your your setup.

Comment

I guess I get that, but seriously I'm not doing anything complicated. I want to run 1/2 the supported memory at default speeds. I mean this should just be plug n play. Why would I need to test a multitude of NB voltages just to get 8gb of memory to work at any speed?

I can't even get 4 to work without crashing... It's beyond obnoxious. I'm seriously thinking of abandoning GB boards in the future, my last 3 have had nothing but issues.

Comment

I totaly agree with you, however be prepared to have the same problem with other brands, they might have just the same problems.
                I had problems with my board and the G.Skill PC2-8500 memoyy, virtually non with the current Corsair PC2-6400, both worked flowlessly with a P35 asus board, but it had issues overclockung my CPU on it. Nothing is completely perfect.

Comment

Meh, I'm sending it back. Time to give ASUS another chance.

Comment

I would try updating the BIOS before that. The P45 UD3L is a realtively new board (as far as P45 boards go) and a BIOS update often helps then with RAM compatability.
                    I was running two 2x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066 kits on my P45 DS3L btw and they ran fine.

Comment

Just a quick update, in case anyone sees similar symptoms. I replaced the mobo with an Asus P5Q and the mem with some gskill 1066 sticks...SAME PROBLEMS After plugging in a new PSU and disconnecting all other devices, I am left with the conclusion that I simply have a bad CPU and have sent it back to intel for replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X