Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-DS3R - PC won't go to S3 sleep mode

Originally posted by amirn View Post
    All I can find in Vista automatic updates settings is the time for installing new updates
    But that's the time it power up isn't it?
    Are there no exlusions there for sleep mode?
    In XP there is a CMOS Real Time clock device in device manager, no power options for it, but maybe in Vista there are?

Comment

I have the auto install updates disabled, so it's time is disabled as well.
      (the download only update does not have a time box)

Can't find any exclusions for sleep mode anywhere.

The CMOS device I see in my Vista does not have a power option.

Comment

... the PC wakes up automatically every day at 13:00, with wake reason the event log is: *RTC*.
        Do you have Media Center enabled? If so, it may be waking up to download an EPG update. Check your MCE event logs.
        Best regards,
        FlyingHorse

GA-EP45-UD3P Q9650 [email protected] BIOS: F10
        G.Skill F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI (2GBx4) DDR2-1100
        EVGA 285GTX SSC Graphics + HP ZR24w + LG 32LH40
        HighPoint 2640x4 4-Port SAS RAID Controller
        Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer Audio (PCI)
        Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 Dual Digital Tuners
        2 WD 150GB Raptors RAID 0
        1 2TB Caviar Black

3 1TB Caviar Blacks
        2 WD 500GB, 2 640GB, and 2 1TB Caviars in Icy Dock Mobile Racks
        LG GH22NS30 DVD Burner
        Lite-On iHOS104-08 Blu-ray Reader
        Corsair HX Series 1KW PSU
        Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower
        Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Comment

I've already disabled the media center EPG d/l.

Comment

not a fan of beta bioses... :)
            it does wake up fine in some cases it looks like. I can't think why the length of the sleep would matter.
            is there any log/event I can see when it went to sleep/woke up and maybe more info on the problem?
            Thanks.
            Hopefully this will help you. I have sleep problems when my OS gets corrupted by overclocking/freezing. The only fix I found was a clean install of windows.

[IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] My computer unexpectedly wakes from sleep.

Here are some things that might cause your computer to wake unexpectedly:
            • <LI class=listItem>Opening the lid of your mobile PC
              <LI class=listItem>Moving the mouse or pressing a mouse button
              <LI class=listItem>Pressing a key on the keyboard
              <LI class=listItem>Network activity
              <LI class=listItem>Running a scheduled task
              <LI class=listItem>Plugging in or unplugging a universal serial bus (USB) device
            • Docking or undocking your mobile PC
            To find out what caused your computer to wake from sleep, do the following:
            1. <LI class=step>[IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicI con[/IMG]Click to open Event Viewer.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
              <LI class=step>Expand Windows Logs, and then click System.
              <LI class=step>In the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log.
              <LI class=step>In the Filter Current Log dialog box, in the Logged list, select the time range.
              <LI class=step>In the Event sources list, select Power-Troubleshooter, and then click OK.
              <LI class=step>In Event Viewer, in the System pane, select the date and time for the event that you want to view.
            2. On the General tab, view the Wake Source for the event.
            1. <LI class=step>[IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicI con[/IMG]Click to open Device Manager.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
              <LI class=step>Expand the device type, for example Universal Serial Bus controllers.
              <LI class=step>Right-click the name of the device, and then click Properties.
            2. In the Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab, clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and then click OK.
              If this check box is not available, contact the device manufacturer for more information.
            1. If a scheduled task woke the computer from sleep, first decide if that is really a problem. Some programs rely on scheduled tasks, so changing those tasks might cause problems with the program or with your computer. If you have questions about why a program is scheduled to wake your computer, contact the program manufacturer. If you are sure that you want to stop the task from waking your computer, do the following:

<LI class=step>[IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicI con[/IMG]Click to open Task Scheduler.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
              <LI class=step>In the center pane, scroll down to Active Tasks, and then double-click the task that is waking your computer.
            2. Click the Conditions tab, and then clear the Wake the computer to run this task check box.
              If this check box is not available, contact your system administrator or the software manufacturer for more information.
            Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR BIOS F5
            Intel E8500 E0 w/ GeminII S Air cooled & Delta PWM 120mm
            Kingston KHX1066 / 4G 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 KHX8500D2K2/4G
            http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp
            WD Raptor 740ADFD (Raptor) & WD Blue 500GB
            BFG GTS250OC 1GB / Samsung T260HD
            Antec Basiq 500W
            Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II
            Vista Premium 64bit SP2 / Win 7 RC

Comment

Thanks for the information above.
              I tried most of it already.
              I want to wake my PC using the usb mouse, so I left it enabled.
              I disabled every task I could find that wakes the PC.

I was left with 2 tasks I know of that wake the PC and I don't know how to change that other than disable the tasks:
              1. windows update - runs at 13:00 daily - wake the PC for, updates, and go back to sleep within 2-3 mins --- for now I've disabled it and check tomorrow if the PC will sleep past 13:00.
              2. the windows time synch thing, but it only runs once a week and i do not wake to disable it.

Comment

Are you positive it is 13:00 it wakes up at?
                Network traffic might wake it as well unless specified to wake on magic packets only.

Comment

yes, it is 13:00. I see it in the event log. also, I can see in the windows update: 'the next update will be at 29/7/09 13:00'
                  I have disabled auto updates - and I'll wait for tomorrow to see if it helps

Comment

I've disabled everything... still wakes up at 13:00 with RTC as wake reason.
                    I checked the event log and I saw that sometimes, after RTC wake, it goes back to sleep after 2-3 mins (and not after 120 mins like it is configured)

another problem I had twice already is waking up the PC and the screen is blank, and nothing i try seems to gets a picture back. (network works ok, i can ping it and access shared files)
                    even short press on the power button does nothing, only long press works - but thats shuts the PC aggresively.
                    [I have ATI HD4850 with DVI-HDMI connection to LCD TV]

This sleep thing is making me lose sleep...

Comment

I've disabled everything... still wakes up at 13:00 with RTC as wake reason.
                      I checked the event log and I saw that sometimes, after RTC wake, it goes back to sleep after 2-3 mins (and not after 120 mins like it is configured)

another problem I had twice already is waking up the PC and the screen is blank, and nothing i try seems to gets a picture back. (network works ok, i can ping it and access shared files)
                      even short press on the power button does nothing, only long press works - but thats shuts the PC aggresively.
                      [I have ATI HD4850 with DVI-HDMI connection to LCD TV]

This sleep thing is making me lose sleep...
                      Wish I could help you more...

Sounds just like when I need to do a clean install. Have you tried reinstalling the OS? I find at least a yearly install to be a good idea.

Only other thing I can think of is to try the Live one care safety scanner from microsoft. It's free and fixes registry and things.

I found a good way of troubleshooting this problem is to use a dual boot configuration with a clean install of Windows 7 RC. If windows 7 works it must be your OS.

If none of that works I'm out of ideas. Sorry
                      Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR BIOS F5
                      Intel E8500 E0 w/ GeminII S Air cooled & Delta PWM 120mm
                      Kingston KHX1066 / 4G 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 KHX8500D2K2/4G
                      http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp
                      WD Raptor 740ADFD (Raptor) & WD Blue 500GB
                      BFG GTS250OC 1GB / Samsung T260HD
                      Antec Basiq 500W
                      Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II
                      Vista Premium 64bit SP2 / Win 7 RC

Comment

Thanks all for trying to help.
                        I gave up on this sleep thing.. I'll shutdown the PC instead. thinking about it, there is not much of a difference other than the 1-2 mins wait.

I still have the weird wake at 13:00, but the main issue I now have almost everytime is my display becoming blank on wake, and I can't seem to do anything other than agrresively shut the PC down by a long power press.

Comment

Working...
                        X