Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R & Q6700 BIOS Settings

Hi all,
    I have just built my system but I am having major issues with stability even at stock speeds. I am getting a lot of BSOD's when trying to start my Vista 64. I am using 4 gb ( 2x 2gb) Geil Black Dragon memory (pc2 6400 800MHz) According to the box it came in its timings are CL 5-5-5-15.
    To be honest this is quite new to me so not entirely sure what that means. I have loaded the optimum settings in the BIOS (Which removes boot manager every time I do which means I have to unplug my secondary HDD to clear the problem ) but still getting the blue screens now and then. I really want to push the CPU a bit to possibly 3.4 but I dont even dare try until I can get this stable at stock. I had a look i the BIOS and there is a lot of things I'm unsure of and really dont know whether a lot of things should be enabled or disabled. As for voltages I dont feel confident in increasing anything as I dont want any components to end up toast.

I was wondering if anyone out there had a similair setup and would be good enough to let me know their settings. I realise things can vary from system to system but if I could get an idea it would be a great help. I also have fitted a Arctic Freezer Pro 7 with Silver 5 so cooling should be fine.

I have no faith in this system at the minute and really dont want to resort back to my old Asrock board as it is not keen on overclocking at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R & Q6700 BIOS Settings

When you load optimized defaults in the BIOS and save/apply F10 it does not remove the boot manager, what it does is reset your SATA Disk settings. All you need to do is go into the Advanced BIOS page and go into the section at the very top called "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and move your hard drive with your operating system on it to the top of the list using the +/- keys and then save/apply/F10 out.

You should have your OS Disk connected to the First yellow SATA Port, it will be labeled SATA2_0

What BIOS are you using? And can you provide me a link to your ram or the model number?

Then once we have that information we can further advise you on settings, because you do need to change a few in MIT Section for using 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      When you load optimized defaults in the BIOS and save/apply F10 it does not remove the boot manager, what it does is reset your SATA Disk settings. All you need to do is go into the Advanced BIOS page and go into the section at the very top called "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and move your hard drive with your operating system on it to the top of the list using the +/- keys and then save/apply/F10 out.

You should have your OS Disk connected to the First yellow SATA Port, it will be labeled SATA2_0

What BIOS are you using? And can you provide me a link to your ram or the model number?

Then once we have that information we can further advise you on settings, because you do need to change a few in MIT Section for using 4GB
      Thanks for your response. I will change the hard disk setting in the BIOS to sort the boot manager problem. Also, I do not have my hard disk connected to any of the yellow sata sockets - i'm using one of the other 2 to the right of them. I will change this over. My BIOS version is F5. I was considering flashing to the F9 version but was a bit nervous as ive never done it before and have heard a few horror storys. Also, would I benefit from upgrading it?

I am at work at the moment but I will check the model number of my ram when I get in later.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Ive just checked for the model number for my ram. Here is everything on the sticker:

GB24GB6400C5DC
        PC2 6400 800MHz
        CL 5-5-5-15
        2GB x 2 dc Kit

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by stellaguy View Post
          Ive just checked for the model number for my ram. Here is everything on the sticker:

GB24GB6400C5DC
          PC2 6400 800MHz
          CL 5-5-5-15
          2GB x 2 dc Kit

Hope this helps.
          Having a 2x2GB memory you may want to read this post whice will like help resolving your current issue.

Also, put your system specs in your signature and the link to your memory web page.
          Later, when posting BIOS settings quetion, it is recommended that you fill a BIOS setting template that match your board with your own settings and post it along with a screen capture as explaind in this post.
          Last edited by Chike; 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I will have a read of that post and get my signature sorted out. Also will get those screen captures done.

Thanks.

Comment

Hopefully thats my signature done!

Comment

Hi, Sorry for the delay in uploading my BIOS screen shots - had to work all weekend.

Here goes though: (only letting me add 1 at a time so i'll have to add 3 posts - maybe doing something wrong but nevermind :)

Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]1325[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

Comment

And Finally:

After reading the links to the posts earlier in this thread I believe I will have to increase my MCH Core voltage to around 1.2 - 1.3 to get stable with 4gb ram. Not sure where to go next - do I start increasing the frequency and see how high I can get it or do I need to increase the Vcore first. If so how high can I safely go? I'm not too sure on what multiplier to use either. I have read you can get more gain with a lower multiplier but this can cause temperature issues - not sure if thats correct or not.

If anyone can let me know I'll start changing some values and let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

And Finally:
                      [ATTACH]1326[/ATTACH]

After reading the links to the posts earlier in this thread I believe I will have to increase my MCH Core voltage to around 1.2 - 1.3 to get stable with 4gb ram
                      Quite probable, thogh the second post of the memory timings guide states a 1.2-1.25v should sufice for 2x2GB memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                        Quite probable, thogh the second post of the memory timings guide states a 1.2-1.25v should sufice for 2x2GB memory.
                        I have just changed the MCH Core to 1.2 and the FSB to 300 with the standard 10x multiplier - booted first time no problems and the idle temps are around 33 degrees! I was struggling to get this to boot at stock before so this is looking good. Still to stress test but would like to maybe go a bit higher first. I was thinking about dropping the multiplier to 9 and setting fsb to 333 just to see what effect this has on the rated FSB in CPU-Z.

After reading a few posts on this site I read its better to switch the Performance Enhance to Standard - so ive just done this and still seems fine.
                        If all goes well i'll try for 3.2 on stock cpu voltage - hopefully will be fine.

Comment

I have just changed the MCH Core to 1.2 and the FSB to 300 with the standard 10x multiplier - booted first time no problems and the idle temps are around 33 degrees
                          What do you measure temps with? Use RealTemp/CoreATemp reported tempratures to have a common language in the forum.
                          Idle temps don't count for much, it's the load temps you should pay attention to.
                          I see your CPU's thermal specification is only 62.2c so you probably should not let exceed 55-60c core temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                            What do you measure temps with? Use RealTemp/CoreATemp reported tempratures to have a common language in the forum.
                            Idle temps don't count for much, it's the load temps you should pay attention to.
                            I see your CPU's thermal specification is only 62.2c so you probably should not let exceed 55-60c core temps.
                            I'm using Core Temp for monitoring. I was advised in another forum a while back to change th TJ.Max to 90 degrees to give a true reading of my cpu.

Just had major problems - I tried changing the multiplier to x9 and the FSB to 355 and BSOD just before windows started. My Vcore was still on auto so I changed it to 1.35 volts. Still blue screen. I tried upping the MCH Core to 1.26 = blue screen!! Load optimised defaults - same thing. Was getting worried so tried using 'last good known configiration'. Eventually booted. Really not sure waht to do now as I just know as soon as I shut down this will not start up easily. HELP!!!

Comment

Quick update - I noticed the Blue screen message that was flashing up was saying something about a hardware problem. Hard to read it all as it just flashed up for about a second.

I decided to try moving the ram to different slots. Before I had the modules in slots 1 & 3 so changed them to 1 & 2. Rebooted and it started first time. I thought it was maybe just luck so I rebooted a further 5 or 6 times. Fine every time!! I dont want to tempt fate and say thats my problem solved but fingers crossed this will now be stable at stock speeds.

I'll leave it a couple of days and see how it goes before I stress myself out again with my next overclock attempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X