Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EX58-UD5 DOA? (No LED code, Phase Green and Amber LEDs light up, nothing else)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 DOA? (No LED code, Phase Green and Amber LEDs light up, nothing else)

So I just bought a EX58-UD5 1.0 from Newegg along with a Core i7 920 CPU and 6GB Dominator DDR3/1600 RAM (3x2GB).

I've been building PCs for well over 15 years, and take every precaution (grounding straps, etc).

I cannot get this one to even power up, let alone POST or show me a code on the double digit LED display.

I have the Core i7 installed with a Mugen2 CPU cooler (plugged into CPU fan). The PSU I have is the Be Quiet 700W PSU which has 20+4 ATX Power and a 4+4 CPU Power.

I have the 12V CPU 4+4 hooked up to ATX_12V_2ATX, and the 20+4 ATX power hooked up to the 2x12 Main Power Connector.

The RAM is installed in slots 2,4,6 (grey/white ones, NOT the blue ones).

I also have a 285GTX which either installed or not has no effect on the outcome:

When I power the PSU up and hit the on-board "power" button, 2 LEDs light up below the RAM (one green, one amber), the "Reset CMOS" button on the back lights up, and that's about it. CPU Fan doesn't turn on, no output to the display, no output on the error codes LED on the board, no beeping in the speaker I have hooked up. Nothing.

I've tried pulling RAM down to 2 then 1 sticks (in slot 2,4, then slot 2, respectively), nothing. I've tried 2 different video cards, nothing. I've tried completely pulling the CPU out and having the board completely empty, nothing - same exact thing happens. Even with no RAM, the 2 LEDs light up (green and amber), and it just sits there.

The PSU works fine powering my Core 2 Duo machine, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

I've tried covering the CMOS reset jumper and turning on, (not sure how that works, because when I hit the power, nothing happened, so I shut the PSU off and pulled the jumper). Turned on again, same thing.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I'd hate to have to RMA this thing....

Re: EX58-UD5 DOA? (No LED code, Phase Green and Amber LEDs light up, nothing else)

I guess I should elaborate. The ram is actually in slots 1-3-5, but on the motherboard they are slots 2 4 6 (down from the top of the board).

Comment

Re: EX58-UD5 DOA? (No LED code, Phase Green and Amber LEDs light up, nothing else)

Might be shorting aganist the case somehow. Have you tried taking everthing out of the case and testing MB on a peice of cardboard or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
        Might be shorting aganist the case somehow. Have you tried taking everthing out of the case and testing MB on a peice of cardboard or something?
        It hasn't been in a case period. Have it sitting on my workbench (wooden) hooked up to the PSU.

Comment

Agh. In my process of elimination I decided to go to Best buy and get a PSU. Picked up the 850W Black Widow from Thermaltake and it fired the motherboard right up.

So, it was my PSU. Let's see if it works with all the RAM/CPU installed now.

Comment

Working...
          X