Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I simply don't know what to do to fix this

Hi dusty2all
    I found that I could get more length from the front panel power switch wire from the right side of the case. But the best way is to remove the switch from the front panel and test it as well.
    An electrical component like a capacitor has a negative charge it wont drain untill you remove the case. Many components hold electrical energy some negative some positive. Their are many things that can sometimes cause this like a loose wire, back plate, USB, insect, matalic dust, foreign objects, ect... My first check would be the power supply, this would be my second check.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
      Hi dusty2all
      I found that I could get more length from the front panel power switch wire from the right side of the case. But the best way is to remove the switch from the front panel and test it as well.
      I wasn't quite ready to remove the switch.

An electrical component like a capacitor has a negative charge it wont drain until you remove the case. Many components hold electrical energy some negative some positive. Their are many things that can sometimes cause this like a loose wire, back plate, USB, insect, mataliic dust, foreign objects, etc... My first check would be the power supply, this would be my second check.
      OK. I happened to have a can of compressed air here so I took a couple minutes to blow out whatever was in the motherboard area. Then I checked out the Corsair forum, where I was given a down and dirty method of checking the power supply, which I did, and there was no problem there.

After that it took a couple minutes to reconnect the cables, and I thought, well, let's see if this thing will work. I stood it up and there was no response from the on / off button but with the reset switch, this computer sprang to life. The on / off button is now the reset and after all the problems I have had, it will probably stay that way.

So now I am up and running again. I don't know why it is suddenly working, unless the compressed air took care of something I couldn't see. I can say one thing for sure: I will never again take for granted that a computer will just start all the time. This has been quite an ordeal.

My thanks to all who have contributed, especially artdrivers and Lsdmeasap, who provided the large print graphics. I wear contacts and glasses, so they were very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        (snip) Here is where you will find the Clear CMOS Pins, under the CMOS battery (snip) >>
        Thank you. As it turned out, that was not the problem, but I really appreciated the large print graphic nonetheless.

And in post # 2 of this thread I outline how to clear your CMOS and things you need to do afterward
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
        The link to the qflash guide is very helpful, and I will be making use of it tonight. Thanks again.

Comment

You are very welcome and it thrills us to here you managed to get it going with a little help. Please keep in touch.
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
          Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
          Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
          Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
          4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
          (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
          (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
          (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
          Mid size ATX case with show through panel
          2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan