Minor Problem with UD4P X58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Problem with UD4P X58

I am currently running the x58 ud4p gigabyte with great statisfaction. However, I have one minor annoyance that bothers me a lot. This issue happens at a cold boot. Unlike other computers that boots into post after 1-2 seconds, this motherboard takes 5-10 seconds to initialize before POST. Since I am running a open case computer right now, I notice that the phase LED tends to light up, turn off, light up, turn off, and light up again before the system POST. Overall, this is just a minor issue but does not affect my performance in anyway. Board is rock solid! I spoke to one of the members @ hardfourm that has the same board and he, too, experience a great delay during cold boot. Is this a known issue? F7 bios.

Re: Minor Problem with UD4P X58

I have the same board and I'm not sure what its doing before POST, but it does take quite some time. None of the BIOS updates up to F9a have changed this.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Comment

happens same with my UD4P F8 bios, I think it is normal, I think the board is checking something is this stage and testing everything is fine
      X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

I'm having issues with mine not booting at all (recent new build). The fans and PSU LED will flicker for a split second, then nothing. I have to then hold the power button down for 4 secs or turn off the PSU and wait. When it refuses to boot, a green and orange LED come on in the NB PHASE LED row, the two in the middle to be exact. It was getting proggressively worse, I tried the beta BIOS, no change. Then Gigabyte support came back and told me to remove everything, pull out the CMOS battery for 10 mins or so with the clear CMOS pins jumpered. To my surprise, it has made it 98% better. It only happens now every now and then. Kinda rules out the PSU that I was blaming before. Guess its the MoBo, or RAM (Corsair 3x2Gb 1600 8,8,8,24) This problem seems to span all brands of X58, and a lot of people are RMA'ing PSU's, RAM etc. Whats the root cause?

Comment

Yes, it is normal for the triple bootup's, happens on all the X58's I have used in all BIOS's. Not so much if you are not overclocking though

Comment

Mine doesnt triple boot, it doesnt boot at all until I turn off the power supply for 30 seconds or hold the power button in for some time to 'clear' it. Doesnt matter if OC or not.

Comment

Really! Wow, that's odd!

What BIOS are you using? I could see that possibly happening overclocked, but at stock it should not. Unless you maybe do not have your uncore and QPI Setup right

Comment

I've tried F7, F8 and F9a - no difference. The biggest improvement was after I removed the battery from the mobo and jumped the clear CMOS pins for 15 minutes. Only happens now about one in every 4 attempts, but its still there. I returned the whole system to the shop today for them to swap things around to diagnose. Happens when standard or OC'd, tried standard RAM settings and the Profile1 from the RAM, no difference.

Comment

Well that is odd for sure, but if it was me (Based on your comment and XMP) I would suspect the ram not setup properly. XMP cannot guess what your IMC Needs to run, so that could be the issue. Have you tried all settings manual with no overclock and then raising the QPI/Vtt voltage, IOH, and possibly Vdimm and see if things are corrected?

Comment

Yeah i've tried using the SPD settings, standard vdimm, upping vdimm to 1.65 (as per corsair spec), raising QTT voltage (to what XMP suggests), tried manually setting DDR3 timings to 8-8-8-24-2 - still has the same problem. I'm not saying "I have set everything correct and BIOS settings are not the problem" - but after researching a lot I'm pretty sure I have set everything correctly. If anyone has any suggestions - please feel free.

Ram is TR3X6G1600C8 Corsair

Comment

Well I just spoke to the shop - took the system in yesterday for them to troubleshoot, they think its the motherboard and they are going to swap it out next week when they get some new stock.

Comment

Working...
                      X