GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 code meanings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 code meanings?

Ok, big problem! First off, I was stupid, lets start there, and I opened up my case with the power on to see if i could fit a USB card into an available slot, I was not actually going to put it in. I REPEAT, I WAS NOT GOING TO PUT THE CARD IN. I SIMPLY WANTED TO SEE IF IT WOULD FIT PROPERLY. See, I took it from a super old computer so I wasnt sure if the PCI slots would be the same distance from the back. Anyway, from some un-worldly force acting upon me, I overshot the slot and touched something on the board. The computer shutoff, then started back up, nothing shows up on the screen and the 2 digit dispaly on the motherboard says things ranging from 68-75 and 7F. My questions are:

What do the codes mean? I have searched everywhere but can not find a single thing other than that FF means its running fine. So since it no longer says that, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

by the way, its a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

Second question - Did I just royally screw myself out of 300 bucks? Is this thing fried or is there something I can do to reset it?
    <!-- / message -->

<script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register("382576")</script>
    Mobo: Asus Sabertooth x79
    CPU: I7-3930K OCed 4.0 GHz
    Heatsink: ThermalTake Frio
    Video: Geforce GTX260
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    HD1: WD Caviar Black 750gb - Windows 7 64x
    Case: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 code meanings?

have you tried resetting the cmos?

Comment

how do i go about doing that? Nothing is showing on the screen.

Comment

Try to press the button on the back of your mobo (clear cmos).
        Search this on google and click the first link:
        "intel x58 post code"
        Home: Corei7 920 C0 watercooled, Gigabyte X58A-UD??, 3x2Gb OCZ GOLD 1600 DDR3 (OCZ3G1600LV6GK), 2xHdd WD 250Gb RE3 raid0, 1xHdd WD 1Tb Caviar Green, Pioneer DVR-216D, Gainward 4870 1Gb GS, Enermax Liberty 620W, monitor CRT Hyundai 19" Q910, case Antec Skeleton, keyboard Logitech G15, mouse Logitech G9
        Car: Sempron2600+, Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA, 1x512Mb DDR Geil, 1xHdd Maxtor Momentus 320Gb, Pioneer DVR-110D, M4-ATX, monitor touch screen 7" lcd Panasonic

Comment

Thanks gasse for the link, I wasnt sure what the codes were called, that makes searching for help much easier.

I tried pressing the clear CMOS button. Does it matter if i press it with the comp off or with it on? I tried both and nothing seemed to change. I dont see anything in the manuel about the button aside from that it exists.

Comment

Wow, ok ha ha. My face is really red now. Here's what happened:

I figured since the desktop computer in question wasnt working, I could hook up the monitor to my macbook pro and watch movies and what not on there. So I switched the dvi-HDMI cable over to my MBP, but the monitor didnt show anything and the screen on the MBP flickered back and forth from normal resolution to the monitors resolution. I decided to swap out the hdmi for a dvi-dvi cable. And voila! I could see....hmmm (*light bulb above head*) I connect the monitor back up to the desktop in question and powered up. It worked! It booted up normally, no error messages or anything. I switched back to the hdmi cable just to double check it, and that worked too . I am so baffled by this.

I have no idea what happened, but my system works fine now. However I have DEFINITELY learned my lesson. I consider myself to be extremley lucky nothing was fried.

(Right hand raised) I vow to always turn the power off AND disconnect the power cable AND ground myself before even attempting to open ANY computer, be it mine or anothers.

P.S. Any ideas as to what on earth happened?

Comment

Working...
            X