Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phenom II 955 BE Support GA-MA78GM-S2HP(rev. 2.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenom II 955 BE Support GA-MA78GM-S2HP(rev. 2.0)

I have had a GA-MA78GM-S2HP (rev. 2.0, F4 BIOS) with an AMD X2 5200+ for about 6 months now.

I recently purchased an Phenom II 955 BE after seeing my motherboard on AMD's list of recommended boards here: AMD Processors for Desktops

I cannot run the CPU at full speed, only at 1.6ghz. I have turned off Cool and Quiet and tried increasing the voltage. It boots when running at 1.6ghz/.975volts but not at 3.2ghz/1.35volts. Is this CPU supported by this board or is AMD's site incorrect? Is there a BIOS update I could try, I'm at the latest BIOS listed on the gigabyte website.

Thanks

Re: Phenom II 955 BE Support GA-MA78GM-S2HP(rev. 2.0)

*bump*

No ideas, anyone?

I'm taking the proc back today then.

Just an FYI, official Gigabyte support hasn't answered me on this either, so I'd be surprised if anyone here knew.

Comment

Hi samhend,

I have a Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 which is pretty close to you M.B. except mine uses the NVIDIA chipset not the AMD. I too had the same problem as you. I just bought a new Phenom II 955 BE and was surprised to find out that my M.B. didn't support this CPU. I even had the latest bios ver. (F7) which shows on the Gigabyte site to support Phenom II 940. I read in this forum a post by someone who had the same M.B. & same problem as I did. I noticed in his post that he had received a new bios to try from Janus at Gigabyte (ver. F8E) thinking this is a beta bios ver. So I asked if he could send it to me & he did! Now everything works at the proper speed & voltage, so it appears that Gigabyte is a little behind on their new bios ver. and hopefully soon they will have updated versions. You can contact Janus & see if there is a new bios for your M.B. or maybe a beta ver. to try for now?
      [email protected]

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the reply Craig. Unfortunately I've already taken back the 955. I picked up a 720BE in it's place that is working great.

Comment

The GA-MA78GM-S2HP does not support the 125W AM3 CPUs looks like - although it supports the 125W AM2+ CPUs. Strange. I wanted to upgrade as well, and can't on this board, though I also have a GA-MA78GM-S2H (no P) 1.0 which DOES support 125W AM3.

You should always check the list on the motherboard manufacturer's site before trying to upgrade. The DRAM support lists go out of date pretty soon, but the CPU support list looks accurate.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-MA78GM-S2HP (rev. 2.0)

Comment

Working...
          X