Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 floppy use kills RAID 1 array

Anyone else see this?

I've been attempting to format a floppy disk, then write a new BIOS update to the same floppy disk. Nearly every time, the floppy drive goes into some kind of extended write cycle, and one or the other of my (2) 320GB Seagates drops out of its RAID 1 array. I have been able to restore the array each time, but this is really beginning to piss me off.

Presently using the F3 BIOS, and Vista 64 Ultimate.

Any ideas?

packrat
    packrat

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    G. Skill DDR3-1600 2048MB X3
    BFG Nvidia GTX 280 OC2
    Seagate ST332062AS X 2 RAID 1
    POS Hitachi Super Scan Elite 21
    Vista 64 Ultimate (yeah I know...)

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 floppy use kills RAID 1 array

Hey packrat,

I haven't run into the same issue but I'd say you may want to consider trying a BIOS update. F3 is a little behind now. Officially I believe it's F6 that's out but there are newer BETA versions available if you feel adventurous.

Check here for the post containing the list of latest BIOS' available. I'm running F7d on my EX58-UD5 with no issues.

If you decide to try it I hope it fixes your issue!

Cheers,

Riker

Comment

Any luck with this? Very odd error for sure, and I would also advise you use the latest BIOS (Beta or Final) and you should not have these issues.

Here is a guide for how to flash using Qflash (USB or FAT Partition), or you can use a floppy in DOS if you like >>

Comment

Hi,

So far I have not had time to narrow things down. I know that when I created the RAID 1 array and installed Vista64, I had no problem with the floppy drive. Of course, I had not yet installed the floppy drive in the computer; it was sitting on a box just outside the case because I did not have a ribbon cable long enough. The floppy port is on the bottom edge of this board and my floppy mounting bay is in the top of my case.

Later, I purchased a 24" ribbon cable for the floppy drive. Maybe this length is introducing too many errrors and the floppy controller is having to retransmit more than usual? I do not know. What I do know, is that in nearly every Windows machine I've ever had, the standard floppy controller always seems to take over the machine when formatting a floppy. Is this normal?

From what I've looked into so far, the floppy drive does use IRQ 6 and DMA channel 2, neither of which seem to be involved with the ICH10R....

packrat
        packrat

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
        Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
        G. Skill DDR3-1600 2048MB X3
        BFG Nvidia GTX 280 OC2
        Seagate ST332062AS X 2 RAID 1
        POS Hitachi Super Scan Elite 21
        Vista 64 Ultimate (yeah I know...)

Comment

Working...
        X