Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Upgrade Failure - Clues Wanted

Hi Folks,

I have a GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard Rev 2.0. According to the supported processor list (here: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
    it is supposed to accept a Phenom X4 processor (in Newegg-speak, it's a AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - OEM).

However, I have installed this processor on the motherboard twice now, and both times the system would not boot.

There are no POST codes. The PSU turns on, the CPU fan spins for a few seconds, and then stops. The hard drive light stays off. The keyboard lights do not flash. The monitor stays dark (yellow LED). Nothing else happens.

When I put the old CPU back in, which is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, the system boots fine.

I have upgraded the BIOS (before starting all this). It is at version FHE, and the Phenom 9850 was supported as of version FG. The BIOS upgrade worked fine, and the correct revision is displayed by Sisoft Sandra (FHE) and other utils.

I saw in a previous forum thread here that following a BIOS update, one should select to Restore Optimal Settings for a CPU Upgrade. I didn't know about this. I have made a few changes to the BIOS settings, like the boot order of the drives and disabling some onboard features (like audio). But I have never performed any "tweaks" for overclocking or voltage with this system.

Question #1: Could not having restored the optimal settings keep my system from booting with the new CPU?

I have attempted to rule out some issues (like the power supply being insufficient) by removing everything from the motherboard but the memory and video card. However, this didn't help. The system still refused to boot with the phenom X4 processor installed.

Question #2: Is there anything else I should check?

I sent email to Gigabyte's support address, but it's been four days and I haven't heard back. I'd rather not replace this motherboard, it has worked well otherwise and I was hoping that the new CPU would make it seem speedy enough for a while.

Thanks much for any insights.

Re: CPU Upgrade Failure - Clues Wanted

Did you try clearing the CMOS? I would try that first. Just for clarity, you are describing a no POST. Boot is after the MB POSTs, and is the loading of the Operating System.
    i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
    Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

You really need to set optimal settings. The new BIOS will have new "optimal" settings for each CPU. At least I think that's the reason. Someone from Gigabyte may correct me.

You should write down any settings you may have customized so you can set them back again.

Comment

Re: CPU Upgrade Failure - SOLVED

Hi,

Thanks to bnboard & Captain Proton for the help.

It turns out that I needed to clear the CMOS memory in order to get the board to POST with the new CPU.

After I got that far, it would hang at the point just before "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." normally occurs. The final fix was telling the BIOS to Load Failsafe Defaults - that got me to the full boot sequence.

After that, it was just a matter of restoring all of the BIOS settings I needed.

Phenom 9850 successful!

Additional note: This is a rugged motherboard. I believe I racked up at least 20 complete removals and reinstalls in the process of getting to this point. The heavy-duty HSF I'm using requires it. I'm considering welding the case closed now... :-)
        Last edited by ScottCh; 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Yeah, one of my machines has a huge HSF that has to be bolted on from the bottom of the motherboard. I finally got so irritated I cut some extra holes in the mounting plate so I could access the nuts from the other side by taking off the other side of the case.

You should try the Optimized Defaults instead of the Failsafe Defaults. If it boots ok it should provide an increase in performance.

Comment

Working...
          X