EP45-UD3P new system can't get past XP install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P new system can't get past XP install

I'm getting a BSOD over and over while trying to install XP on a new system with this motherboard. It happens in the very final stages of the XP install. I'll get to this point:

- Collection Information
    - Dynamic Update
    - Installing Windows
    - Finalizing Installation
    subsection - Installing Devices <--- happens in here.

Setup will complete in approximately xx minutes. BSOD can happen anywhere from 10 to 4 minutes left in the finalizing installation section.

I'll get a STOP error 0x0000008E or something similar, sometimes in win32k.sys, sometimes it won't display any driver.

Setup is:
    CASE ANTEC|P182 BK RT
    MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775 R
    VGA EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GTX260 RT
    PSU ANTEC|EA650 RT
    CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N R
    MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ2RPR10664GK R
    HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS
    KB&MS LOGITECH|LX310 LASR
    SNDCD CREATIVE|70SB073A00000

Things of I have tried:
    1. Removed sound card.
    2. Went down to 1 memory stick.
    3. Swapped memory sticks, keeping only 1 installed.
    4. Swapped to a different Hard drive, a Seagate barracuda 500GB.
    5. Up'ed the memory voltage to 2.1v since the OCZ website has recommended voltage range of 2.1 to 2.3
    6. Removed the video card, and installed a plain old PCI graphics card instead.

It looks like the board came with BIOS version is F8. I'm going to try F9 next. At this point, I'm thinking it the OCZ memory, but I do find other people in forums who use this motherboard & RAM combo. I bought this RAM mainly because on Newegg's website it said "People who bought this motherboard also bought...." blah blah or something simliar.

Should I be using G.Skills instead? It seems like everyone with that memory has not problems?

Thanks for the help,
    Kaij

Re: EP45-UD3P new system can't get past XP install

Is your XP install disk an older one? If it does not have at least Sp1 on it then you cannot install it to a PCIE machine, only SP1 or later. So if that is the case then you will need to slipstream SP2 to it and create a new install disk.

If it has SP1 or later and you are sure, did you burn it? If so, burn it again using the Slowest speed you can choose

After looking at MS it does sound like maybe your ram is faulty >>
    &#34;STOP 0x0000008e&#34; error message during Windows XP setup

Can you test each stick one by one in another setup to be sure? DOA Memory happens often, so that just may be your luck today sadly. The ram itself should be fine in that board, but that does not mean it was not shipped to you faulty. You need to test it somewhere in another system to be sure

Aside from that you do have your BIOS settings set correctly per your disks right?

You should have your OS Disk plugged into the first Yellow SATA Port (SATA2_0) and your DVD Drive, if SATA, plugged into SATA2_4 or SATA2_5.

Then for a NON AHCI Or RAID Setup your settings should be as follows >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if the XP install has SP1 or SP2. Is there a way to check? I did burn it.

I am using the yellow SATA ports. The hard drive is in SATA2_0, and the DVD-ROM drive is in below that in, in SATA2_1. Should I try this in a different port?

You are correct, I have ACHI disabled.

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled

My first instinct is the RAM, but I kinda find it hard to believe that BOTH sticks are bad. I'm not ruling it out, but that's a tough break. Unfortunately, my current system is probably over 4 years old, and not much of the hardware between the new and the old system is compatible. I don't think my current system would take the new DDR2 RAM.

Comment

Ok, just updated BIOS to F9, loaded optimized defaults, moved the DVD-ROM drive to SATA2_4, and still got the BSOD. A little earlier this time than usual, and it did give the win2k.sys driver with the STOP error this time.

So, both sticks of memory are bad?

Any recommendation on solid stable memory sticks? G.Skills seem to be the other popular choice for this board.

Comment

I am not sure if your DVD Placement matters, but I would move it to 4 or 5 and try again anyway just to be sure.

Can you stop by a friends and check it out? DOA Set could happen, not often but it does happen.

About how to check your disk......

If you can read the hologram on the disc, you can find out if it is SP1 at by seeing if it reads "Version 2002". This indicates it is SP1 but not SP2

You can also mount the disk if you have an ISO Program installed on your system you are using now. Mount the disk, browse to i386 folder and locate the eula.txt file, on the last line you will find one of the following entries and that would also tell you the install disk version

Windows XP Home Retail
          EULAID:WX.4_HOM_RTL_EN

Windows XP SP1 Home Retail
          EULAID:XPSP1_RM.1_HOM_RTL_EN

Windows XP SP2 Home Retail
          EULAID:XPSP2_RM.1_HOM_RTL_EN

Windows XP Professional Retail
          EULAID:WX.4_PRO_RTL_EN

Windows XP SP 1 Professional Retail
          EULAID:XPSP1_RM.1_PRO_RTL_EN

Windows XP SP 2 Professional Retail
          EULAID:XPSP2_RM.0_PRO_RTL_EN

Windows XP SP 3 Professional Retail
          EULAID:XPSP3_RTM_PRO_RTL_EN

Windows XP Media Center 2005 Retail
          EULAID:MCE05_RM.0_PRO_RTL_EN

Windows XP 64-Bit Retail
          EULAID:XPSP1_RM.1_P64_RTL_EN

Substitute OEM for RTL for OEM versions.

Comment

If you're getting system to post, I'd be surprised if it's ram. Try making a new XP disc with SP2 slipstreamed onto it.
            E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
            WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
            Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Comment

That is likely true, sorry for not suggesting this before but you could always run Memtest86+ on the ram and see >>
              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Be sure to set the ram voltage, and change Performance Enhance to standard. I would also raise MCH Voltage to 1.2-1.24

Also if you have ANY External USB Devices like USB Hubs or Storage Drives remove them until your system is installed (Could also be the issue if you do have anything like that hooked up now)

Comment

Ok, the XP disk does have SP2 on it.

I have no external USB devices attached.

DVD-ROM moved to 4.

What is MCH voltage?

Can I run memtest from a USB thumb drive like I used to update the BIOS?

Comment

MCH Voltage is in the MIT Section of your BIOS above the memory voltage, MCH Core Voltage is what you need to set, and your ram voltage of course and the performance enhance setting as well (Don't forget)

Yes, Memtest can be ran from a USB, but it has to be a USB that has been made into a Bootable one and then you need to download the correct USB Version (USB Key Version) memtest86+

If you do not have a bootable floppy it is much quicker to make a CD, but if not the guide linked here shows you how to create one >>

Follow the directions, do not copy extra file you think are missing from the steps noted, and then only copy the Memtest file onto ther USB. Then boot to USB and from DOS run the memtest file by name

Comment

Ok, I'm still having trouble.

- MCH at 1.2
                    - Performance Enhance [Standard}
                    - Memory Voltage 2.1

I put memtest on a floppy and had it run for 3 hours yesterday. It did 8 passes without any errors, then on the 9th pass it started to show some errors in test #7.

I had to power down the system to put in a new DVD-ROM drive so that I didn't have to share one between two computers. I rebooted the machine and started up memtest again and memtest displayed "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting". I'm not sure why, but memtest had my timings displayed at CAS 5-7-7-20. Usually they have always been 5-5-5-15. What would change the timings?

I did a soft reboot, and left the floppy in, and memtest restarted just fine displaying normal timings of 5-5-5-15 this time. It's been running again now for 3 hours with no errors.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X