SATA HDD not recognized by BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SATA HDD not recognized by BIOS

You are probably correct. I dont see how would otherwise get so hot in such a short time. However the first drive I was never holding in my hands, until the post when I got advice to check. And it was not working either.

Is this drive now destroyed or what? The drive plates/head never moved. I didn't get burnt at first start, only second. And nothing moved in the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by trdi View Post
      I am working on more computers so I don't think adding this to signature is very practical. All info is written in the thread. First post has the link to the exact model and specifications of the drive, exact motherboard and also I gave info about BIOS. Maybe PSU is also interesting to know, so I will get that info when I get home.
      Yes I know there is no sticky saying to post all your specifications, but there should be one.
      Even in a repair shop we need exact Specs when the car is in the shop. Here, we are trying to help diagnose a PC that we have not even seen So this makes diagnosis even more difficult. In the repair, shop we take those specs to our database and pull information out and do various tests on the vehicle in the shop, a physical vehicle not an imaginary vehicle. Well, I think you get the picture now.

You can go back to the first thread and edit more infomation in to the post. This way all information is redily available in one place.

At this time I am not sure what to say now as it seems this is not a simple problem. I will ask Lsdmeasap for assistance ASAP.

UPDATE !!!!
      P.M. Sent
      UPDATE !!!
      Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM. Reason: sp
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Ok, I added signature to the first post also.

I don't think that I destroyed the drive or anything, it is still the same as at beginning and as the first drive was. It is either I got 2 in a row "1 in a million" or my PC somehow destroys them. However the PC is not problematic and I don't see how it could do it. If I switch in my old IDE Maxtor, the drive turns, BIOS recognizes it and I do have an option to install Windows on the drive.

Comment

I PM d LSDMEASAP for help now it a matter of waiting.
          BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

The guy in the shop said both drives were burned. I will take computer to them so they will check what kind of power those SATA connectors produce. They assured me, that these are the only two drives that were returned from this WD series.

I did remember yesterday, that my PSU unit is a very cheap one (basically no-name), since I had to buy a PSU very fast in a new country. I completely forgot to replace it with something decent.

Comment

I read something a while ago that said that the number of Warranties in Western Digital/Seagate had more to do with their transport after the factory then the quality of the drives. perhaps a box on shipping to your local PC shop got mistreated and your the unlucky one to find out.

There has been only 1 PC i have experienced in years of working in IT that killed things plugged into it, and even that one isnt 100% as you soon give up on testing once you suspect that a part kills other parts.

I would personally suspect a bad batch of drives considering you said that other HDD still detects fine (although IDE) and that the power and data connector works fine on the DVD drive.

Question in relation to other peoples suggestions. If the BIOS doesn't detect the drive whats the chance of a program (like WD Diagnostics or Life guard) detecting the drive? I thought if BIOS didn't detect it the computer wouldn't assign it, address it, etc.
              Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
              Intel E6400 @ 3.2GHz
              Kingston 1GB x 4 PC5300 @ 800MHz
              Zotac 8800GT AMP! @ 770MHz

Comment

That is the question that I have been questioning myself, but I tried it anyway, as desperate people always do.

Latest updates... I brought my PC to the shop and the guy tested voltage. Everything fine. 12.2V instead of 12.0 was the biggest difference. However I decided to buy a semidecent stronger (and twice as heavy) Trust PSU anyway.

They didn't have the same WD hard drive model, so I decided to get a 1.5 TB Seagate instead. Plugged in, it turned at the beginning and BIOS recognizes it.

Comment

Seagates ROCK!! WD = No purchase from me due to several DOA drives in the past

Not sure if this is what happened to you, or the new brand name PSU fixed it? Could have been either, since your old PSU Tested fine that means nothing really though. Did he test it in your setup with a known good drive or just test the PSU Itself?

Nice to see you now have a working drive though, sorry for the late reply here!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Seagates ROCK!! WD = No purchase from me due to several DOA drives in the past

Not sure if this is what happened to you, or the new brand name PSU fixed it? Could have been either, since your old PSU Tested fine that means nothing really though. Did he test it in your setup with a known good drive or just test the PSU Itself?

Nice to see you now have a working drive though, sorry for the late reply here!
                    I believe I had a Western Digital Drive go out on me in operation. This made want to consistently backup all my work to another location.
                    I think we need more stickies in this forum for this situation? Maybe?
                    Well I have comfort in knowing its fixed. Thanks Lsdmeasap! :)
                    MadMax out

Comment

Working...
                    X