• Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 SATA Hot plug issue

My system config are as follow
    CPU: 920
    RAM: Cosair TR3X6G1333C9
    PSU: Enermax 82+ 625
    GFX: HIS HD4850

When ever i tried to how plug any sata harddisk, i would get a blue screen with error code F4. If only the OS was change to linux, how plug work without any error. In windows if i were to plug in only sata power cable to harddisk it would cause a blue screen with error code f4 too.

The issue don't seems to be hardware as it work in linux. It shouldn't be software, because power cable trigger the bosd and not the hot plug itself.

I'm loss hope any kind soul could help me figure out what's wrong.
    Last edited by heliosys; 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 SATA Hot plug issue

You are using AHCI in windows correct? Have you tried older Intel drivers, or the latest?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      You are using AHCI in windows correct? Have you tried older Intel drivers, or the latest?
      Thanks for the reply.

Sata controller is running at AHCI mode.

I have tried default drivers, current intel stable drivers (8.8) and beta (8.9), all resulted in bosd F4.

Don't think it's only a intel matrix storage manager issue, when i plug in only power cable to the harddisk without data cable bosd F4 appear too.

Comment

Hmm, this a eSATA Cable? Just wondering, I have done it with both, but unplugging power cables is not suggested anyway when the system is running.

I know that is part of the hot swap Idea, just saying I do not like it from an electrical standpoint.

Have you tried another Power cable?

Comment

I'm using a hot swap rack, powered direct by psu. There was once after some hardware changes and i have forget to plug back sata cable. when harddisk was plug in, result in bosd.

btw I have tried using the same computer but running linux and hot swap is working without any error.
          Last edited by heliosys; 05-09-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by heliosys View Post
            I'm using a hot swap rack, powered direct by psu. There was once after some hardware changes and i have forget to plug back sata cable. when harddisk was plug in, result in bosd.

btw I have tried using the same computer but running linux and hot swap is working without any error.

Hey, I have the exact same problem. No prob when the HDD is powered externally eg in an external enclosure or an external cradle

Did you solve the prob ?

What I will do for now is to movce it on the GSata ports which are not AHCI and have no such probs. In the end I have no use for AHCI so I might mmove back to IDE and then there is no such problem.

EDIT: SOLVED. In my case apparently THOU SHALT NOT POWER A CRADLE FROM THE SAME CABLE AS THE OS DISK. Used another power cable (from another rail) and it is Ok, no more BSOD. If you want to try, do this: get a power plug from the lead powering the OS disk and plug it into another device eg a SATA DVD drive. You will get the same BSOD (or imilar, i.e. also Blue :-) ).
            Last edited by advarp; 12-16-2009, 02:27 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Comment

Working...
            X