Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Different(?) GA-EP45-UD3P reboot loop problem

@beltbraces

I've had the same problem, with the same board (see sig) with my E8400. I've tried everything mentioned here and other threads and then some. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the CPU. Your test all-but confirmed one of my two theories (BIOS setting I missed or CPU compatibility).

I tried F6-F10f, still same problem. Set ALL USB devices to disabled. Loosened RAM timings, all of them. Underclocked, Overclocked, nothing. I can eventually get it up and going from a soft-boot, sometimes it takes 1 reboot, other times 10.

I see enough threads on this, I would have thought Gigabyte would have addressed it by now with a BIOS fix. I doubt it's a hardware problem so they could save a lot of shipping/repairing by releasing a fix for this. Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?
    CPU: E8400 C0 @ 534x7.5 (4005mhz) 1.36 VCore
    Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems + 120mm fan
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Bios F7
    RAM: 2x2GB GSkill 1068mhz 1:1 @ 5-5-5-15 2T 9 tRD 2.10 VDimm
    GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 @ 900/1400
    HDD: Intel 80GB X25-M & WD 750GB AAKS
    PS: Corsair 750HX 80+ Gold Certified
    Case: HSPC Top Deck Tech Station
    Displays: HP LP2475w & Dell 2007WFP (IPS or bust)
    Fans: 2x 120mm on NB/RAM/Mosfets
    Rig Picture

Comment

Originally posted by edge929 View Post
      Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?
      No, making this my second GIGABYTE motherboard that GIGABYTE has been unable to bring up to its advertised specifications. The other one I exchanged for an ASUS board; this one I have relegated to another system that is using a CPU that happens to work with it.

I never did find out whether or not my detailed problem report was passed on to the GIGABYTE repair centre (UMART never replied to my e-mail).

Rectron Electronics did reply, but only to inform me that they are merely middle-men in this process: they received the RMA board from UMART, and then they passed it on to GIGABYTE for repair. They assured me that any problem report that got as far as them would have been passed on, but they keep no records of what they receive.

Interesting to hear that an E8400 has a similar problem. Mine would never soft reboot regardless of how often I tried, so perhaps the problems are not identical?
      Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Comment

Edge, what is your problem here? This board should work fine with E8400 as I have used one myself on it and a xeon.

And many world records have been broken with this board and that CPU, so just wanted to ask you for further info on your issue

Comment

I will post my BIOS settings tonight if I can. I've posted on a few threads before, had my UD3P since July this year.

I get the same reboot loop that beltbraces and many others have experienced in other threads and other forums across the net with this board.

The most basic scenario is working in Windows, shutdown for the night. Next day, boot up system and it goes into the back-up BIOS reboot. Says OC settings failed but I've tested them for months at current settings. Load my OC settings and reboot. Sometimes it will boot into windows, other times it will fail again. Some days it takes 1 reboot, other days 10. Sometimes I'll have to cut power to the PS completely and leave it off.

Psycho has similar problems, his solution? Don't turn off the computer. I OC too much to not turn off my rig when I only use it for 3 out of 24 hours a day. Sleep mode has similar issues from what I've seen.

I've never gotten a straight answer, hoped it was BIOS related but updating doesn't change anything. Before you ask, I've tested everything, swapped out everything except the CPU. Been building computers and OCing all 50+ of them for 10 years now. I'm convinced my situation is not isolated seeing how I could paste a dozen links at least to others having a similar issue.
          CPU: E8400 C0 @ 534x7.5 (4005mhz) 1.36 VCore
          Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems + 120mm fan
          Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Bios F7
          RAM: 2x2GB GSkill 1068mhz 1:1 @ 5-5-5-15 2T 9 tRD 2.10 VDimm
          GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 @ 900/1400
          HDD: Intel 80GB X25-M & WD 750GB AAKS
          PS: Corsair 750HX 80+ Gold Certified
          Case: HSPC Top Deck Tech Station
          Displays: HP LP2475w & Dell 2007WFP (IPS or bust)
          Fans: 2x 120mm on NB/RAM/Mosfets
          Rig Picture

Comment

Originally posted by edge929 View Post
            I will post my BIOS settings tonight if I can. I've posted on a few threads before, had my UD3P since July this year.

I get the same reboot loop that beltbraces and many others have experienced in other threads and other forums across the net with this board.

The most basic scenario is working in Windows, shutdown for the night. Next day, boot up system and it goes into the back-up BIOS reboot. Says OC settings failed but I've tested them for months at current settings.
            Just for the record, my motherboard never did that. My reboot loop started much earlier, before even the first beep, so there was never any display or opportunity load any backup BIOS.

I agree there are a lot of people experiencing reboot loops, but I am not convinced that they are all the same or caused by the same fault.
            Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Comment

After reading through this thread I thought about a recent article on AnandTech: P55 Extreme Overclockers: Check your sockets!

I know that we're talking about completely different CPU's and sockets here, nevertheless, perhaps some pin to pad contacts aren't quite up to snuff. Just a thought.
              Best regards,
              FlyingHorse

GA-EP45-UD3P Q9650 [email protected] BIOS: F10
              G.Skill F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI (2GBx4) DDR2-1100
              EVGA 285GTX SSC Graphics + HP ZR24w + LG 32LH40
              HighPoint 2640x4 4-Port SAS RAID Controller
              Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer Audio (PCI)
              Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 Dual Digital Tuners
              2 WD 150GB Raptors RAID 0
              1 2TB Caviar Black

3 1TB Caviar Blacks
              2 WD 500GB, 2 640GB, and 2 1TB Caviars in Icy Dock Mobile Racks
              LG GH22NS30 DVD Burner
              Lite-On iHOS104-08 Blu-ray Reader
              Corsair HX Series 1KW PSU
              Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower
              Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Comment

I have exactly the same issue and I can reliably reproduce it.

The system is stable and survives hours of stress tests.

I initially RMA'd the motherboard with the same misconception that it was a factory failure. I did notice the loop is arguably worse when the power off setting is set to "4 second delay" rather then instant off.

Processor is a Quad Core [email protected] with factory settings.

The thread is a bit dated, but it continues to be a very real problem.

Bios version FD

Comment

I Just bought this motherboard few weeks ago. I had the exact same issues. Also when I would start from a cold boot I would get a ..more of a long buzz than a long beep. Tried everything to fix it. Being that this is the best MB I have had to date...I said screw it ill keep it till I get a p55 series. Again impressed with the overall temps of my the board...I decided I was going to replace all the fans in my box with ultra kraze 3000 rpm. First one I changed was the fan on my cpu heatsink (OCZ Vendetta 2). Had to jump online real quick booted up, and havent had the problem since. No beeps, no loops...everything runs fine. So Im guessing that either I had a short in the fan some where, or it wouldnt kick on when the MB thought it should..idk far from a guru, but it fixed it. Maybe this will give you something else to look at to solve your problem.

Comment

An actual post error code or audible tone is not quite the same issue.

I updated my motherboard with the latest release of the firmware once again and this appears to have solved the issue. At this time I am not able to reproduce the bug which was so very easily replicated before.

Based on input, experience and the sheer randomness of the bug I'm going to guess there is some flaw with the firmware update process. Assuming this is true there would be a random number of motherboards with this issue and a seemingly random pattern of restoration techniques.

To the next helpless soul who finds the reboot loop. Update to the latest release for your motherboard revision and if this fails to solve the issue on the first attempt please try again.

I think there is still some life left in this architecture given the current cost to implement a system with the core i7 architecture. At least next year I will look towards a full rebuild with something a bit more cutting edge. Factoring cost and performance the P45/Core2 setup still competes quite well in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X