Think I found the issue of years of frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I found the issue of years of frustration

Hanging at bootup screen logo, never ends loading and just hangs? Safe mode just fine? Years of issues, and my new system build has forced me to confront the issue. I returned 2 motherboards thinking that was the issue. The EP45-UDR3, rev 1.1

Well. It seems XP doesn't like an external 1394 hardrive plugged in during bootup and its a hit or miss (mostly a miss) on it booting.

Found this by accident and as soon as I unplugged this.... DING. Rebooted like a champ.

Question.
    1) Why would this be? This happened on a completely different motherboard as well, thats why I built the new system. XP pro doesn't like 1394 during reboot?
    2) Verifying DIM pools... well I've had it when it wasn't working say "completed successfully, or ok, or something along those lines", now it just goes on the next information without completing the statment, and loads fine. No issue there?

I look forward to trying some overclocking now that I'm realizing its likely the 1394 causing boot issues. BUT, I still have issues with the 8500csd (dominator ram) in using more than 4 gb (2x2), i'll have to experiment. I knocked ram down to 800 to make it work, but I'm wondering if the whole issue is the 1394.

Re: Think I found the issue of years of frustration

Did you try disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS section? This may not help of course since it is USB Setting, but it stops external USB Devices from being scanned at startup. This issue you are having happens often with random USB Devices, so just thought it would be worth a shot.

Did you also try the other firewire slots, you should have 3 to test with (2 on back, one internal)?

Yes, it could be XP that does not like it during bootup, or it could be your device is just not fully compatible with the boards you are using. Have you asked the company that makes the firewire drive about this issue?

DMI Pool will only need to be verified if you change something, and only then certain things (Overclock, settings changes, ect) would cause it to need to be re-verified, otherwise you should just see the initial "Verifying DMI Pool....." With nothing after it. Sometimes depending on post speed you may not see it at all

Comment

couldn't have asked for a better answer.

Yes, I disabled legacy. Still did it. No i didn't check w/external drive, never knew that could be an issue. It's working though now with no problems if I don't have that drive plugged in, so I'm fine with that, i'll just use for backups occasionally.

Comment

Check your boot order in the bios, make sure that you have HDD as the first boot device.

-J
        i7 3770K @ Stock for now F5 BIOS
        2 X 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz
        2 X 240 GB SATA 3 SSD RAID 0
        Gigabyte Z77X-Up7
        EVGA GTX 680 Classified
        EVGA GTX 285 PhysX

Comment

+1 ^^^

And inside "Hard Drive Boot Priority" always be sure your Boot disk is at the top

Comment

Working...
          X